Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 05:12 AM   #1
Joyful
Connoisseur
Joyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kobo
3rd day of frustration with my wireless Kobo

Wireless Kobo software version 1.7
Windows 7
Calibre 0.7.31 (updated twice during my 3 days of frustration to see if that would make any difference)

I've had my Kobo for a while and have been happily loading books onto it and reading. Then it suddenly couldn't communicate with Calibre. I did a reset within Kobo to the factory default and loaded just a few of my books back in.
All was well.
Plugged it back in and loaded a few more. This time not all of my books showed up and many covers were missing. Also a few books were all named "start".
Weird so I did another reset.
All was well.
Loaded a few books and the covers were still not showing up.
Plugged it back in and reloaded those books.
Noticed some books were missing that I hadn't noticed before.
Another reset.
Another day -more problems ( Calibre not seeing all the books I loaded on it) and another reset!
Loaded a few books on and all seemed well. Decided not to push my luck and was able to do some reading last night.
Tonight -problems again. Turned the Kobo on to read and none of my books will open. The text fades slightly on the selected book and I think it's going to open and nothing happens. (it did this same behaviour after my 2nd or 3rd reset also).

All the books loaded do show up in windows when I look in my Kobo folder on my computer.

This is tonight's error message from Calibre:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\__init__.py", line 297, in dispatch
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 1164, in books_uploaded
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 381, in add_books_to_metadata
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 348, in add_books_to_metadata
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'add_book'

I'm thinking it's time to pay Chapters a visit and return it.
I'm thoroughly frustrated. The factory reset seems to last a few hours only.

It was so well behaved until now.

help

Joyful

edited to add my Kobo software version number

Last edited by Joyful; 11-29-2010 at 05:50 AM.
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

If I recall well, some other posters reported they removed old sqlite
db and started from the beginning. There was more than one thread
on the subject, also one in stickies.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 05:40 AM   #3
Joyful
Connoisseur
Joyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmos

I suspect most posters here are much more savy than I.
I don't know what 'sqlite' means although I suspect from the 'db' it has something to do with the database.
But I'll look for those threads and see what I can glean, if anything.
Thanks.
Joyful
Old 11-29-2010, 05:48 AM   #4
Joyful
Connoisseur

Read the pinned thread on replacing the old sqlite db but they pertain to software version 1.4.
I have the wireless Kobo which has software version 1.7.
I followed the instructions for the factory reset as stated futher along in that thread for my wireless Kobo (4 times, in fact) with the results that I stated in my first post.

Joyful
Old 11-29-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Did you post this in the Calibre forum? Tim Legge issued a temporary plugin when 0.7.29 was a problem. If you installed it, did you uninstall it before installing 0.7.30? At this point it sorta kinda looks like a Calibre related problem. You can return the Kobo, of course, but you may want to explore the Calibre end of this or you might just have the same problem again.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Joyful
Connoisseur

Thanks, taming, I'll do that.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
Ghoda
Enthusiast
Ghoda is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kobo for iPhone, Aluratek Libre
I mean absolutely no disrespect here but if I read your initial post correctly you are using third-party software that is known to cause issues and you are going to return your Kobo? I can't see how this entitles someone to a refund - if I use aftermarket tools or modifications on my car then the warranty is void. If I load a third-party OS on my phone then the warranty is void. If I use third-party tools to modify the data on my Wii then the warranty is void. Ect, etc. I can't say that I agree with the reasoning behind your wanting to return the unit.

Now before anyone gets all crazy about this statement a quick search of my username will out me as one of the guys who was tearing apart the Kobo SQLite DB to see how it ticked. I do use Calibre, I have modified the SQLite database on my Kobo by hand on several occasions, and I do do things to the Kobo that are well beyond what it was intended for. However, if the unit freaks out and starts eating my books I know full well that it was my fault for messing around with it in the first place.

As a result of all my poking and prodding I have found that simply loading my ePubs onto my Kobo via Windows Explorer to be the most effective and error-free way to get them on there. Calibre is a great tool but I don't trust it to mess with the DB yet.
Ghoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
Joyful
Connoisseur

Sorry,double post.

Last edited by Joyful; 11-29-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
Joyful
Connoisseur

The Kobo User's Guide suggests using ADE or Calibre to manage and add books to the Kobo so I would take that as a recommendation and I wouldn't expect any trouble as a result of using either of those programs to void any chance of me returning the reader.
The only messing around I've done is to follow Kobo's own procedure for resetting the reader to it's factory default state.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
Ghoda
Enthusiast
Ghoda is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kobo for iPhone, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
The Kobo User's Guide suggests using ADE or Calibre to manage and add books to the Kobo
Well then, if that's the case then forget everything I wrote about the warranty stuff
Ghoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
Wireless Kobo software version 1.7
Windows 7
Calibre 0.7.31 (updated twice during my 3 days of frustration to see if that would make any difference)

[snip]

This is tonight's error message from Calibre:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\__init__.py", line 297, in dispatch
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 1164, in books_uploaded
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 381, in add_books_to_metadata
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 348, in add_books_to_metadata
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'add_book'

edited to add my Kobo software version number
Hi

Open the run dialog (Windows Key + r)
Open a command prompt (enter cmd.exe and click ok)
type the following:

cd "c:\Program Files\Calibre2"
calibre-debug.exe -g

When the error occurs see if additional info is displayed in the command prompt windows. If so, attach the results here or log a bug on the calibre web site.

Also, have you been using the Kobo desktop?

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:28 AM   #12
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoda View Post
As a result of all my poking and prodding I have found that simply loading my ePubs onto my Kobo via Windows Explorer to be the most effective and error-free way to get them on there.
I second that. Except I use unix and WE does not work on it. Any
advice?

Quote:
Calibre is a great tool but I don't trust it to mess with the DB yet.
People want it out of the box. Calibre looks like that. It is one of the
most intelligent tools for dedicated task. We could all do that by the
hand with command line tools, than pack it and add css... Even I will
avoid, spite my fondness for console.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #13
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
advice?
Nautilus?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
advice?

Terminal and cp command!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #15
zoran
himself

mount /books /favorites
cp -R <whatever> <wherever>
umount /favorites
There is a lot of things graphical tool does behind the scene.
I dislike that. Clean strategy and command line tools are the
most secure way to do the job.
If wifi version has ssh, rsync might work.