Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 09:39 PM   #31
rubyv
rubyv began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
So can you now combine your B&N along with your sideloaded content, or do they still reside separately (which is one of the softroot benefits).
rubyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #32
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyv View Post
So can you now combine your B&N along with your sideloaded content, or do they still reside separately (which is one of the softroot benefits).
They're still separate.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #33
pjtjm
pjtjm began at the beginning.

Device: none
Lookup function?

Hi all,

Has anyone noticed if the speed of looking up a word definition has increased?
pjtjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #34
cosmic joke
cosmic joke began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I use Calibre to load my books and I edit the metatags to add the series name before each title. Ex: The Mortal Instruments 01- City of Bones. Or you can use the series tags to do the same thing.
WOW, thanks alot Care. I downloaded Caliber and am now ever so grateful to you that I can rename the things the way I want. I actually had to do a happy dance. Thanks again
cosmic joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:35 PM   #35
_CL
_CL began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelloy View Post
The shelves seem nice, but I wish you could collapse them. It doesn't quite solve the problem of too many books, but comes close.

I actually really like the new "Sort by Author" view, where it puts the authors name in bold above all of their books.

Page turning is crazy, crazy fast.
I had created shelves and, then, within them sorted by author. I didn't see the formatting you talked about, so I played around with it a bit.

If you have shelves and sort by author, you get the books arranged by shelves, but within a shelf, the book still has the Title in bigger font above the Author in smaller font.
Animal Farm
George Orwell

Nineteen Eighty-Four
George Orwell
However, if you use Change View -> Hide shelves, the display is formatted like you said - Author's name in bold caps in bigger font with list of Titles below in smaller font.
GEORGE ORWELL
Animal Farm
Nineteen Eighty-Four
That's a pretty convenient way to switch back and forth between shelves view and author view. I like it.

BTW, I agree - the page turning is crazy fast.

Last edited by _CL; 11-22-2010 at 10:37 PM.
_CL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #36
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Irving View Post
Given what B&N said when announcing this, and all the subsequent cussin' and groanin' about offering organization _only_ for B&N stuff, I was a little surprised to see the "shelves" feature in My Documents too. Will be fiddling with this tonight to see how it works, but at least it is there in some form. Page turns way faster, too. Nice.

You mean I have another 506 books to organize by category?! Not counting the ones I had removed from My Documents because I had so many books in My Documents.
Hysterical laughter -->

Thanks for pointing that out. I am grateful for this discovery, but I think I will wait until tomorrow before organizing My Documents.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:00 PM   #37
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal
JazzFlight began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, nook wifi
I have a softrooted 1.4. How can I update to 1.5? It's not updating when I drop the update in the default root directory and WiFi update is giving me an error.
JazzFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:03 PM   #38
Nokia179
Nokia179 began at the beginning.

http://nookdevs.com/Softroot

take alook on the first page and then from there just download the update and it will work.
Nokia179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #39
ctos
Enthusiast
ctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook, G1
check out below video for page turning comparison between 1.5 and 1.4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Le6PwPqQdI

Waiting for more video review about the new firmware.
ctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #40
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
this is really BN biggest update, this is absolutley fantastic
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:52 PM   #41
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Is there a cover flow with the new version?
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:09 AM   #42
envy
Brown Eyed Girl
envy doesn't litterenvy doesn't litter

Device: Sony Prs 600, Nook, Sony prs 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CL View Post
I had created shelves and, then, within them sorted by author. I didn't see the formatting you talked about, so I played around with it a bit.

If you have shelves and sort by author, you get the books arranged by shelves, but within a shelf, the book still has the Title in bigger font above the Author in smaller font.
Animal Farm
George Orwell

Nineteen Eighty-Four
George Orwell
However, if you use Change View -> Hide shelves, the display is formatted like you said - Author's name in bold caps in bigger font with list of Titles below in smaller font.
GEORGE ORWELL
Animal Farm
Nineteen Eighty-Four
That's a pretty convenient way to switch back and forth between shelves view and author view. I like it.

BTW, I agree - the page turning is crazy fast.
I like it better when you hide shelves. That way you get the author is big caps with the books by said author is lower case.
envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:20 AM   #43
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Is there a cover flow with the new version?
There's no cover flow for side-loaded content.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:25 AM   #44
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
okay, thanks, I'll wait for a NookDev then.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:49 AM   #45
dirtygreek
dirtygreek began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzFlight View Post
I have a softrooted 1.4. How can I update to 1.5? It's not updating when I drop the update in the default root directory and WiFi update is giving me an error.
Same here. Let me know if you figure it out. I've tried going back to 1.0 etc, as described here

http://nookdevs.com/Softroot

But no luck. It just won't recognize any signed_bravo_update.dat that I drop in, even if I do a restart or a factory reset (holding top right page turn button while turning on). That just gets me to the beginning of the factory reset process, where it says it's creating partitions, then it boots on back into 1.4.

UPDATE: Remembered that I disabled updates using ADB. That's probably why. I assumed all that did was prevent over the air updates, but I guess it stopped manual updates as well. I'll turn that back on and see if it helps.

Could someone possibly send me a copy of /system/app/FirmwareUpdateService.apk ?

Last edited by dirtygreek; 11-23-2010 at 08:35 AM.
dirtygreek is offline   Reply With Quote