Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #316
sirtao
sirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura aboutsirtao has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD
Kobo Glo
Firmware 2.10

powering off the Kobo, activating\de-activating the Night Mode and connecting(then disconnecting, of course) the kobo to a computer means the brightness reverts to 1%, with the known bug of it still unresolved.
Only switching on and off the Standby doesn't trigger the bug.

And yeah, I've factory reset and tired everything before installing Night Mode.
Not. Happy.
And it's really that hard to add +/- buttons to up\down brightness by one percent point?
sirtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #317
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@sirtao: Remember that ANY problem that results from using a modification to the Kobo (ie Night Mode) is very VERY unlikely to be resolved by Kobo.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:39 AM   #318
Risto40
Enthusiast
Risto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Glo
when reading PDF book, the black bars on the left and right side of the book that change page back or forward DOES NOT WORK. When clicking on it, the menu becomes available. (at least in LANDSCAPE mode)

In LANDSCAPE MODE, when I want to turn page, the only ways are to tap on the top side of the screen (when holding ereader in 'landscape mode') or using menu.

New page location in landscape mode is still wrong (now it occurs in 2.8.1 and 2.10). When reading pdf book in landscape mode and zoomed in, then when I change page, the location of the new page is still bottom left, it should be top left.

So, the version 2.10 is huge disappointment for me a because I am reading PDF books (no other format of the books is available, so no choice here). I'm going to downgrade back to 2.8.1.
Risto40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #319
Bonex
Connoisseur
Bonex began at the beginning.

Device: KDXG, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
Kobo Aura HD

I edited an epub using Sigil and added this CSS to modify all <HR /> elements.

Code:
hr {
    background: url('../Images/sep.jpg') no-repeat center center;
    height: 50px;
    margin: 1.5em 0 1.5em 0;
    border: 0;
}
This causes all <HR /> elements to be displayed as a custom picture instead of a line.
This works correctly in Sigil, in Adobe Digital Editions and with a Kobo Glo with firmware 2.8.1a.

With my new Aura HD and 2.10.0 the HR is displayed empty.
Bonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #320
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonex View Post
This works correctly in Sigil, in Adobe Digital Editions and with a Kobo Glo with firmware 2.8.1a.

With my new Aura HD and 2.10.0 the HR is displayed empty.
Have you tried specifying a width value yet? I mean, if you have the image and don't want it to repeat, my first instinct would be to use this instead (assuming a width of 100px):

Code:
hr {
    background: url('../Images/sep.jpg') no-repeat;
    height: 50px;
    width: 100px;
    margin: 1.5em auto;
    border: 0;
}
It may just be a matter of the Kobo rendering engine assigning a zero width because the HR element has no actual content.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #321
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
@arspr: I added your bug as unconfirmed for now.

@Bonex: please read the first post
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #322
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Update to the "HTML doesn't work in synopsis" bug: As of 2.8.1 and 2.10.0, boldface (using the B element) works, italics (using either I or EM) are still broken, and paragraphs at least work somewhat. That is, they divide text into chunks, but the renderer doesn't automatically add a blank line between them. However, if there's a linefeed between the /P and P tags, that blank line will exist.

Sample HTML code, without the lt/gt entity encoding:

Code:
<div><p>Here's a paragraph. It has some <b>bold</b> text.</p>
<p>This paragraph has a blank line above it.</p><p>This one does not.</p>
<p>Neither <em>this</em> nor <i>this</i> display in italics.</p></div>
ETA: Tested on a Glo.

Last edited by Rev. Bob; 11-07-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:43 AM   #323
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
It's easier than that. Here you have a pretty simple epub to play around with it. (Thanks, Sigil ).

Or if you want to build it yourself, its html code is just this:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
  <title>Dashes Test</title>
</head>

<body style="text-align:justify;">
  <p>—This is the reference sentence —whoever exclaimed.</p>

<p>—This is AStressTestWithVeryLongWordsAgainstJustification, —whoever exclaimed—. TheStressTest ContinuesHere.</p>

<p><i>Now I'm protecting the wrong wrap with the</i> &lt;span style="white-space:nowrap;"&gt; <i>workaround:</i></p>

<p>—This is AStressTestWithVeryLongWordsAgainstJustification, <span style="white-space:nowrap">—whoever</span> <span style="white-space:nowrap">exclaimed—.</span> TheStressTest ContinuesHere.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p><b><i>Now the same sentences using</i> &amp;mdash; <i>instead of —:</i></b></p>

<p>&mdash;This is the reference sentence &mdash;whoever exclaimed.</p>

<p>&mdash;This is AStressTestWithVeryLongWordsAgainstJustification, &mdash;whoever exclaimed&mdash;. TheStressTest ContinuesHere.</p>

<p><i>Now I'm protecting the wrong wrap with the</i> &lt;span style="white-space:nowrap;"&gt; <i>workaround:</i></p>

<p>&mdash;This is AStressTestWithVeryLongWordsAgainstJustification, <span style="white-space:nowrap">&mdash;whoever</span> <span style="white-space:nowrap">exclaimed&mdash;.</span> TheStressTest ContinuesHere.</p>
</body>
</html>
Play with it as much as you want.

I also upload a screenshot from Calibre e-book viewer which shows the right rendering and how the span trick fixes the wrong sentence wrap.

Edited----
Hey, what the hell! Here you have a picture directly taken from my Aura HD. In the second sentence the problem is already shown but the third one is just crazy. (The bigger spaces in the third sentence are caused because the span trick doesn't allow "exclaimed" and its "—" being in different lines).

Playing with margins and font sizes you can make it more or less obvious.

OTOH. Is it possible to take a screenshot directly from the Kobo Aura HD with some trick? (In my old PRS-650, you need PRS+ modified firmware to get it)

IMPORTANT EDIT - NEW BUG!!!! -------
Look at the new image (IMG_0241.jpg) which uses epub renderer NOT kepub one:

<span style="white-space:nowrap;"> has stopped working!!!!
The main issue, the extra spaces around the em-dashes, was a plugin bug fixed in the next release (whenever I get a chance to do final testing and upload it) but when viewing a justified book you may still see the dashes moved to the next line. The only fix I found was to use no justification.

The problem of "white-space: nowrap" not working sounds like a bug in the renderer, but I can understand if they just ignore it. The renderer isn't running on hardware as flexible as a standard browser and forcing line breaks at the right places anyway would look very similar to just ignoring the white-space property.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #324
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
The main issue, the extra spaces around the em-dashes, was a plugin bug fixed in the next release (whenever I get a chance to do final testing and upload it) ...

That are really good news. So no Kobo bug after all. I will happily wait for the new version of your KoboTouchExtended driver. Many thanks.

(For me, this is going to be the turning point from epubs to kepubs once for all... despite the header...).

Quote:
... but when viewing a justified book you may still see the dashes moved to the next line. The only fix I found was to use no justification.
Don't worry about it. As I explained in my previous posts I suppose that it's just a conflict between HTML rules and Spanish rules. I already solve them with the white-space:nowrap; trick.

Quote:
Product: Aura HD (but I think it's irrelevant.
All my books in my Kobo account are English books, so I cannot confirm if this issue is present in "official" Kepubs. I can only see it in "Kepubized" epubs through Calibre. But I'd bet money that the Kepub source is not relevant at all, that the problem is in the "engine".
As proved, do not bet money along me in a horse race...

Quote:
The problem of "white-space: nowrap" not working sounds like a bug in the renderer, but I can understand if they just ignore it. The renderer isn't running on hardware as flexible as a standard browser and forcing line breaks at the right places anyway would look very similar to just ignoring the white-space property.
Yes it really looks like an Adobe bug (another one) which probably Kobo is powerless to fix. The funny thing is that my Sony PRS-650 (I suppose with a much older version of the Adobe renderer) doesn't suffer it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
@arspr: I added your bug as unconfirmed for now.
Because of the former post from jgoguen I think that you could:
  • Split the bug in two.
  • Possibly discard first one (the dash spacing issue) as a non-Kobo issue.
  • Rename the epub one to "white-space:nowrap; doesn't work in RMSDK".
  • Consider it confirmed?
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #325
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
(For me, this is going to be the turning point from epubs to kepubs once for all... despite the header...).
Speaking of which, try adding "showPageHeader=false" to the "Reading" section of the config file.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:07 AM   #326
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, it seems that the dash bug within kepubs is still present. It has nothing to do with jgoguen's Calibre plugin.

OTOH I am pretty stupid myself.

In my original bug post I said that I couldn't confirm it with "official" kepubs because all of them where in English... But they also use dashes, don't they?

So I upload a picture taken from Dodger by Terry Pratchett in two flavours:
  • Fully DRMed official Kepub directly from my Kobo account.
  • Downloaded with ADE, unDRMed and then opened in Calibre. (Although Calibre, Sigil and Kobo RMSDK rendering is just the same).

And I think I can see the problem here. In English, dashes are used as a "comment separator". As stated in wikipedia, (go to the first "dot"), you normally write them without spaces. BUT there's no harm in adding spaces around them and, more over, when you are "stretching" a text in order to justify it, it can be even prettier than keeping the words together. I mean, I actually DO prefer the Kobo screenshot appearance than Calibre one.

But what actually works in English is an extremely bad decision in Spanish where dashes are commonly used for dialogues (although we sometimes use them as comment separators, we normally prefer brackets).

Quote:
Because of the former post from jgoguen I think that you could:
  • Split the bug in two.
  • Possibly discard first one (the dash spacing issue) as a non-Kobo issue.
  • Rename the epub one to "white-space:nowrap; doesn't work in RMSDK".
  • Consider it confirmed?
Again, because of the new info we have, I think you could:
  • Split the bug in two.
  • Rename the kepub one (the dash spacing issue) to "ACCESS adds extra spaces around dashes when justifying text. It looks extremely weird in Spanish dialogues."
  • Rename the epub one to "white-space:nowrap; doesn't work in RMSDK anymore".
  • Consider them confirmed?

OTOH, I'm now on 2.10.0 firmware and my eReader is an AuraHD, not an Aura. (Although as I said both data seem quite irrelevant).

Quote:
As proved, do not bet money along me in a horse race...
Well, in the end, I'm not going to be so bad gambler...

---------------------------------------
OTOH. Don't you see something strange in the screenshots? Look at the drawing below (and over) the "CHAPTER ONE" text. Why isn't it centered in the kepub one? Another bug in ACCESS? Or just a bug inside the Kepub version of the book that Kobo stores?

(I've tested with Off-Left-Justify. It's always the same).

Curiously, in Off the book is left aligned in the "official" kepub version. BUT the downloaded epub through ADE is already justified...

I don't know a way to check it, as I don't know how to break Kobo DRM scheme on their official kepubs so I cannot open it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'Official' Kepub.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	841.2 KB
ID:	114892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Downloaded with ADE, unDRMed, rendered in Calibre.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	114893  

Last edited by arspr; 11-09-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:08 AM   #327
arspr
Dead account. Bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Speaking of which, try adding "showPageHeader=false" to the "Reading" section of the config file.
Thanks. I'll test it ASAP.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #328
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
One easy means to look at how a Kobo eBook works is to just to add a preview version of it to your library and then let Kobo Desktop do a sync.

In the location where Kobo Desktop stores it's files you can then copy the newest "numbered" file to have a .zip extension and then, browse the zip file.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #329
arspr
Dead account. Bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
One easy means to look at how a Kobo eBook works is to just to add a preview version of it to your library and then let Kobo Desktop do a sync.

In the location where Kobo Desktop stores it's files you can then copy the newest "numbered" file to have a .zip extension and then, browse the zip file.
Thanks for the hint.

But Kobo has changed Dodger edition... I've downloaded its preview and it's not like my previously bought book. I cannot check the drawing misalignment therefore.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #330
arspr
Dead account. Bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It works but it still leaves a lot of blank room in the upper part of the screen so, showing the header actually looks nicer IMO nevertherless.

OTOH (and offtopic): I've asked in the FAQ thread if there's a compilation of these kind of settings somewhere because I haven't found one, and they seem pretty useful in order to enable hidden (and possibly WIP and dangerous I assume) customization.

Tags
pocket app