Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 12:50 AM   #286
johnstu
johnstu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS505, iPhone, Kindle 2, iPad 2
@mallard13
Hi, did you actually open the acsm in the dropbox app, ie select it so it opens as a text file. It's on the text file screen that the "forward" icon appears as an arrow curling to the right.

@steph_g
Thanks for the icab suggestion. I've been keen to find a new browser and icab looks fairly feature packed. I have successfully borrowed a book using the icab app but I'm not sure that the method I used for downloading the acsm file within icab was the most efficient. I clicked the book download button in my account at my library's webpage to download the acsm.

This didn't seem to do much so I checked the download section of the icab app which had a + button for new downloads. I clicked that and it asked for a new URL so I went back to the browser and copied the link from the address bar when I pressed the acsm download button. Then I returned to the download section of the app and pasted that URL into as a new download. This worked. The acsm was downloaded (within the app rather than to dropbox) and selecting it gave me the option to open in Bluefire. Which I did, which worked. But I think I must be being a bit silly in using my complicated way to start the dowload in icab.
johnstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:53 AM   #287
mallard13
mallard13 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4S, Palm Tx & 1st Gen iPod Touch
Finally! Success with the bluefirereader://nav/transfer technique.
mallard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 12:57 AM   #288
mallard13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstu View Post
@mallard13
Hi, did you actually open the acsm in the dropbox app, ie select it so it opens as a text file. It's on the text file screen that the "forward" icon appears as an arrow curling to the right.

Snip.....
Yes. The acsm opened as a text file, but the only icons at the bottom of the screen were a 'star' in the middle and what appears to be 2 links in a chain in the lower left hand corner.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:57 AM   #289
johnstu

@mallard13

Excellent! glad to hear you've now managed. I feel terrible though if I made you pay for an app that you are unable to use.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:08 AM   #290
mallard13

Quote:
@mallard13

Excellent! glad to hear you've now managed. I feel terrible though if I made you pay for an app that you are unable to use.
I didn't buy the app you mentioned earlier. I used my PC to transfer the files to my Dropbox. I wanted to try the technique before spending a lot of $$$ I'm just wondering if it's the 1st Gen iOS 3.1.3 limitation that's causing the 'problem'.
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 07:51 AM   #291
Jsimon
Enthusiast
Jsimon began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
I may have to try icab. Trackr works at one library via overdrive but not another also via overdrive due to the mobile browser problem. Anyone know a work around ?
Jsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #292
Jsimon
Enthusiast
Jsimon began at the beginning.

Switched over ti icab. Downloaded straight from library website to ipad without using PC. PRICELESS.
Jsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #293
johnstu

I'm using iCab as well now.

Thanks steph_g
Old 11-29-2010, 10:13 PM   #294
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
@steph_g
But I think I must be being a bit silly in using my complicated way to start the dowload in icab.
If you touch the download button on the library website and hold for a second, a window will pop up in icab with some choices. Select "download file" and it will automatically download and you know what to do from there. HTH!
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:23 AM   #295
mallard13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph_g View Post
Sorry you're frustrated. Are you using the latest versions of everything? Try the icab method I mentioned above and see if that works for you - hope it does! Maybe your iPod is too old to support this?
AFAIK I'm using the latest versions of all apps & iOS for my Gen 1 Touch. I'll 'put up' with the bluefirereader://nav/transfer technique for now. I suspect that iOS 3.1.3 doesn't support some of the other techniques. Maybe I'll buy icab when my next pension cheque arrives
Old 11-30-2010, 02:53 AM   #296
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Has the crash on exit when jailbroken been fixed? This is what is stopping me from using BF on my iPhone.
No not yet unfortunately. We are working on it.
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:56 AM   #297
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsimon View Post
Switched over ti icab. Downloaded straight from library website to ipad without using PC. PRICELESS.
Great, glad to hear it.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:14 AM   #298
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajordan View Post
Micah:

It's nice to see that Books-A-Million recognised what a wonderful app Bluefire Reader is.

wj
Thanks. We added some nice search "refine results" and sorting features to our OPDS transform web services for the BAM app. Busy, busy...

We are very focused on search these days. Need to make it better for sure, but coming along.

FYI, we are also still working hard on our "search all stores" aggregated search features for BFR. Will be most useful when we have a few more stores in there.

Starting to build a little momentum. Nice article the other day: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-gad...e_skin;content
Old 11-30-2010, 04:06 AM   #299
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Any news on when you'll get generic OPDS reader functionality in the app? The //nav/transfer solution is okay for now, but this really needs to be able to read from my local calibre catalog.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #300
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
A bit of a longshot but do you think you can support Kindle "locations" instead of page numbers?
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote