Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you interested in this idea?
Yes 20 80.00%
No 5 20.00%
Undecided 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #46
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
We need some open source ...academic was always open source
Let's not forget the many open source apps that come for the academic world.
The Linux community has always been very loud. Very good at complaining and being selfrightous (for example "evil" MS allowed me to use my ten year old software even on the newest hardware without any configuration hassle).
Now look at the linux software on the eReaders. 500 MHz processors hundreds of MB RAM and we are not even able to reference a few bytes of text in a professional manner!

It's very simple: if the open-system concept is not capable to deliver what i NEED (i'm not talking about playing games or having fun, i'm talking about productive labour!) then they will not get my money.
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #47
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Then it sounds like you are going to buy JetBookColor, it is the only Windows ereader I know...see what you can do with that one and let us know what happened.

PS:Too new to be true
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:09 AM   #48
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
I think that making M92 fully suitable for academic use is less than 1 month work of experienced programmer.
We had this discussion before, it is easy to implement, does take little work - but is not done anyway - and of course: they have no idea whom to sell their reader to - great!
But everything is very promising ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:22 AM   #49
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Not sure why Beryl does't like Onyx' Linux since the sources are published...
By my understanding developing third party apps is totally possible on Onyx so ..why is the OS a problem? I would rather say the popularity is a problem here and the portability the later being the huge advantage of the Android apps.
It is not a matter of liking as such, that would be stupid.
Again I agree with you complety: in the end it is a matter of popularity/ressources.
Because these devices are not "popular" enough you should use a system where software development is outsourced.
And people actually pay for the good stuff extra.

And lets face it, software development in the "normal" Linux world is driven
by the competition with MS and thus happens in another dimension completely.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:44 AM   #50
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
We had this discussion before, it is easy to implement, does take little work - but is not done anyway - and of course: they have no idea whom to sell their reader to - great!
But everything is very promising ...
Well, I wanted to say something different. In the main Onyx market (China) probably readers of comics was the main target group. On new market it is more academic and education. It is new to Onyx and they need some time to adapt to a new market. They can make it in several months, if they decide so. It is not only question of money, but also the strategy.

They could make good money, if they realize their chance a do it fast.

If not, PB or someone else will enter the market.

I think Onyx will surprise us. Let's give them some more time and judge them afterwards.

There is also 'backup' possibility to port linux applications of need to M92 by ourselves. That is advantage of open hardware platform.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #51
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenderland View Post
All over the world people are storming the shop of Notion, the indian(!) producer of the Adam Ink.
Really? Are you sure? Source?
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #52
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

http://jerous.thimhallan.org/cms/dok...m_sony_prs-350

Onyx and apparently many others are using these to locate the highlighted text

pdfloc(docid,page,line,x1,x2,a,b,c), where

docid: sort of hash, same in the whole document
page: page number, starting at 0
line: indicator. To get real line, do (line-1)/8
x1: nr of characters from start of line
x2: update x1:=x1+2*x2
a: some number, always zero?
b: starting marker (0) or ending marker (1)
c: always 1

If you google #pdfloc you will find links like the one above
this one here is focused on Onyx http://uiorean.ro/Wikka/OnyxBookAnnotations
and I do not think the format for annotations changed.
http://uiorean.ro/Wikka/OnyxBookAnnotations

This code could be used by a programmer to merge the annotations back into the PDF file (if that is not solved by Onyx in the mean time)
Old 03-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #53
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamizase View Post
Really? Are you sure? Source?
Just search for "Adam Ink sold out".
The software is worse and the tablet is more expensive than competitors. It's mostly about the screen's readability in sunlight or without backlight.

But it seems that Onyx has recognized the importance of academic PDF paper-like reading anyway and what i have learnt in the meanwhile to be in the development pipeline already, should make the M92 a very, very good PDF-reading tool and make buying a tablet for academic reading quite obsolete.
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #54
Beryll Snyder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
Well, I wanted to say something different. In the main Onyx market (China) probably readers of comics was the main target group. On new market it is more academic and education. It is new to Onyx and they need some time to adapt to a new market. They can make it in several months, if they decide so. It is not only question of money, but also the strategy.

They could make good money, if they realize their chance a do it fast.

If not, PB or someone else will enter the market.

I think Onyx will surprise us. Let's give them some more time and judge them afterwards.

There is also 'backup' possibility to port linux applications of need to M92 by ourselves. That is advantage of open hardware platform.

I would agree in one point: PB and Onyx made their products for a different market. Now they have to be "forced" to adapt to a new kind of customers, something they seem to be doing very reluctantly.

Normally this kind of behaviour gets punished by the market - I kind of admire your optimism though ...
Old 03-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #55
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
I kind of admire your optimism though ...
From your perspective (a rather pessimistic view) this is normal
I am somewhere in between you two
Old 03-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #56
Beryll Snyder
Banned

Quote:
From your perspective (a rather pessimistic view) this is normal
I am somewhere in between you two
Actually I live by the motto: to the thinking person life is a comedy - to the emotional person a tragedy.
Okay, something constructive: in the Jetbook thread an Android discussion has started ...
Old 03-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #57
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Okay, something constructive: in the Jetbook thread an Android discussion has started ...
is it a joke or what ? I do not see the thread...
however kamikaze explained here that Android on eInk is just day dreaming

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 03-04-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:23 AM   #58
mrevent
Zealot
mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: kindle 3w, dxg, 5, Kv
Just wanted to say that this has kept me from getting an M92 as well. (I was thinking that even the scribbles could be exported only to a separate pdf, and were not saved to the original pdf itself. That's still the case right?)
mrevent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:14 AM   #59
por
Groupie
por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: ONYX M96
Do you think the issue where horizontal and vertical straight lines are never exported will ever be repaired?

Or the issue with the stopping pen that drives me crazy, but for that i guess the touchscreen/pen driver would have to be mended. I think it might a very simple thing to resolve because it happens only if the device is not connected to a power source. It must be a faulty power management feature or something...
por is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:14 AM   #60
spaetz
Enthusiast
spaetz began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92, formerly iRex DR1000 (broke just as they went bankrupt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrevent View Post
J(I was thinking that even the scribbles could be exported only to a separate pdf, and were not saved to the original pdf itself. That's still the case right?)
AFAIK, you can *merge* your scribbles together with the original PDF into a new PDF which contains both. Apparently there is an issue in that not all PDF-processing tools can print the different PDF and scribble layers though, but I can not say anything on that (yet).
spaetz is offline   Reply With Quote