Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #16
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The B&N Reader on the TP2

Attached: Some photos of the B&N Reader in action (as best as my photography skills, and a poor digital camera, can manage).

The first shot shows the library screen that opens up first.

Next is the reading screen, with page controls superimposed above, and menu items below. These appear when you first open a book, disappear after about 5 seconds, and come back with a finger-swipe or a tap (depending on how you set the controls).

The reading screen, without the page and menu controls. You tap the screen to advance or reverse the pages.

Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #17
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Freda and Zulu Reader on the TP2

This is Freda, an ePub reader, on the TP2. The readability on all apps is excellent. Tap the arrows at the bottom to advance or reverse the pages, or swipe your finger (bottom to top to advance, top to bottom to reverse).

Here is Zulu Reader, also an excellent ePub reading app. Swipe your finger to change pages (bottom to top to advance, top to bottom to reverse).

Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #18
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Mobipocket on the TP2

This is Mobipocket on the TP2. Shown is the vertical mode, but to change pages, you have to use the phone in horizontal mode (extending the keyboard, and using the arrow keys to advance or reverse the pages). You can use the menu to change the screen to either horizontal or vertical mode, whichever makes it easiest for you to use the arrow keys.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:06 AM   #19
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Great ! Thanks for the pictures !
Can you view the books in landscape mode ?
EDIT: Reread the review again, and yes you can. Thanks !
Fif23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #20
Grumpster
Grumpy old fart.
Grumpster began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Touch Pro2 Stock 6.5 rom
Mobipocket was originally designed for hardware with navigation (mouse) buttons. Many of today's devices don't have those buttons so that causes some problems. With Mobipocket you can easily set it to change pages with a screen tap instead of opening the hard keys all the time just to change the page. Just click on Menu>Options>General Tab and check "Clicking on page turns pages". Restart the app and your set. No more hard keys.

Microsoft had officially stopped development and support of their reader. As such, .lit files are quickly becoming a thing of the past. You can use Calibre to convert all your old .lit files to .epub or what ever format you'd prefer. Most believe that .epub is the better file choice for archiving files then convert to what ever format they require if their device don't support .epub.
Grumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #21
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for the write up Steve. I wasn't aware of the B&N app.

When upgraded to WinMo 6.5 and Touch FLo 2.5 the TP2 makes for a very nice phone. I've had mine for a while and do read on it on occasion. Though I mostly carry my Kindle around with me.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:06 AM   #22
monkbythesea
monkbythesea began at the beginning.

Device: Windows Mobile
HTC Reader as standalone .cab

I've used MobiPocket, Freda, and B&N, and like the HTC Reader the most.
Pros:
-pinch to zoom
-reflows automatically when pinch to zoom in or out
-very finger freindly
-consistent with HTC Sense GUI
-launches ePub and most foramts thru built-in reader
-really like it also launches your .pdfs thru Adobe reader.
-displays coverart of your books.

The HTc Reader was available as an extra TAB in HTC's Sense GUI, but the guys over at xda-devlelopers were abel to extract it as a standalone .cab. Here is the link to a post about it:
http://www.xda-developers.com/window...and-alone-cab/

Check it out, you might like it for your HTc Touch Pro. I am using it with the HTC HD2 and enjoying it. But read the post on that link. There are some caveats depending on which devie you are using. For example, it may disable your HTC Sense notifications menu and revetr to the standards Windows mobile notification menu. Mainly cosmetic, but a little irritating.
monkbythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #23
Gem
Gem began at the beginning.

Device: Still not sure
The guys over at XDA also got Android running on the device, launchable from a winmo app on your mem card (assuming you have one). Last I checked, the only thing they need to get working is the sound.

This opens the doors for lots of apps.
Gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #24
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Update: The B&N app--Beware

Yesterday, my B&N app demanded that I download an update (if you don't, it won't allow you to keep using it... so you have to do it.) Once I updated the SW, my books disappeared from my device, and would not re-download from my B&N library.

Contacting customer service was singularly frustrating: They continued to deny the SW was theirs, since it's not displayed on the website, and therefore they had no reason to assist me ("go to whatever hacker--ahem, third party, you got it from, and have them help you").

I since discovered the original link, which comes from their servers (and is still live now), and emailed customer support with the details. As of now, it's been 7 hours with no reply. To be continued...
Old 08-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #25
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem View Post
The guys over at XDA also got Android running on the device, launchable from a winmo app on your mem card (assuming you have one). Last I checked, the only thing they need to get working is the sound.

This opens the doors for lots of apps.
Sound is partially (mostly?) working now. If they can get support for the unit's graphic chip working they'll have a complete base system to work from.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #26
htchd2
htchd2 began at the beginning.

Device: HTC HD2
Hello,
I'm using a HTC HD2.
I'm disapointed with mobipocket reader and I tried the Manila ereader, which is beautiful and finger friendly. But do you know if it is possible to have a dictionary link like in mobipocket ? (I use it for translation when I read an english book, it is convenient to have an english-french dictionary at hand ...)

Or do you know if there is a good reader (free or not) that has this function ?

Thanks for your help.
htchd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #27
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

I don't know, as I've never used one. Anyone who has..?
Old 09-26-2010, 11:35 PM   #28
new2kindle2
new2kindle2 began at the beginning.

Device: K2
I love your review, I just want to add one thing about mobipocket reader. You can page forward by clicking on the right side of the screen, closer to the margin. You can page back by clicking on the left side of the screen. There is an option that will enable you to do this.

I have yet to try the other readers mentioned. Thanks!
new2kindle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:15 AM   #29
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2kindle2 View Post
I love your review, I just want to add one thing about mobipocket reader. You can page forward by clicking on the right side of the screen, closer to the margin. You can page back by clicking on the left side of the screen. There is an option that will enable you to do this.
I looked for just such an option, and never found it. Which version of MP reader are you using? I'm using v5.3, build 582 on the TP2.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #30
new2kindle2
new2kindle2 began at the beginning.

Device: K2
I have the same, v.5.3 - Build 582

Click on Menu, then click on Option. Under the General Tab there is a check box for 'Clicking on page turn pages'

This is where I changed my fonts and background color too to grey.

Edited to add: this is where I change the margins, and to change the reader to a full screen. Hope this helps!

Last edited by new2kindle2; 09-27-2010 at 09:45 AM.
new2kindle2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-books, htc touch pro 2, smartphone