Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 10-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
stanking
Noob Developer
stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Fire 7
Do You Use the Same Set of Plugins Over and Over?

I could throw this open to the larger community, but I'll ask the developers first. Do you have a set of plugins or tasks that you use over and over on new books, sets, or libraries? For instance, do you run Extract ISBN followed by Download Metadata? If I were...hypothetically...working on a plugin to set up sequences of plugins to be run serially, what would be most useful to have linked up?
From my survey so far of the plugins I use, there will need to be a fair amount of customizing to call other plugins, and possibly pass the results of one on to a second, and I'll need the buy-in and support of the creators of those plugins (which in 90% of the cases is Kovid himself, or Kiwidude). But there's no point in setting up the code to work for plugins that don't get much use. So what would you like to be able to launch with one process instead of three?

(I've already setup a framework to poll a user's installed plugins and provide a window to let the user setup and save sequences. All that's left is to code the implementation to actually call those sequences.)
stanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
stanking
Noob Developer
stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Fire 7
33 views and no responses? C'mon, guys and gals, I really do need your input if you can spare a few seconds. No bad answers, all feedback greedily accepted. Tell me which buttons you're always clicking. Pleeeeeeeeeze?
stanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2014, 06:41 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use a few fairly regular like.
I never use them in a chained sequence because they do stuff different areas and also depend on the quality source condition (or lack there of).

The step that shall not be discussed
Correct Metadata and cover (some books are clean and need no further help)
Insert Metadata (Modify- EPUB)
Touch up- edit (to meet my devices way of viewing. target Zoom level 3 for body text)
Count pages
Alternate (AZW3) conversion for the K4 if that will be the final target device
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I use KindleUnpack, Modify ePub, Hyphenate This!, Count Pages, and Find Duplicates the most. I do use others, but that are the ones I mostly use (but not in any order).
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I use a few constantly, but, the ones I think could be automated, already are.

The plugins I use a lot are: Kobo Utilities (anyone surprised at that?), Reading List, FanFictionDownloader, Count Pages, Annotations, Smart Eject. I will also use ePubSplit when needed and Open With when I want to look at an epub in Sigil instead of the calibre editor. I'll admit to having most of the plugins installed, but rarely use any of the others. And there are a couple of others written just for me.

FFDL already has some automation. I have it adding books to Reading Lists and starting Count Books. It can also use Generate Cover, but I don't have that configured. Apart from these, I can't think of anything else that would be useful.

You might also want to consider when to start the automation. Both Reading List and Kobo Utilities have functions that are triggered when a device is plugged in. There are a couple of other plugins that might benefit from that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2014, 05:00 PM   #6
sbenz
sbenz began at the beginning.

Device: None
My workflow is:
1. Download books (workflow tags are automatically added)
2. Run Edit Metadata.Download Metadata and Covers.Metadata Only
3. Run Count Pages
4. Run Polish books.Add metadata as a "book jacket" page
5. Run ScanWords (a plugin under development that generates a word/frequency file for a list of words - I use it for filtering out books with language I don't appreciate)

I have created a set of workflow tags that get applied when the book is loaded. Each of the above steps (except 1) has a tag. For instance, _Cat_FindTags and _Cat_PageCount, are added to cover steps 2 and 3. When I have performed a step the relevant workflow tag is removed.

If you create a Workflow Plugin, it would be nice to have its own Workflow custom tags that get applied at book loading, are removed when the related workflow is complete, AND, is left in place (or another added) whenever the step fails. This latter feature is important to allow the user to clean up books that haven't completed the full workflow.

I haven't yet figured out how to call another plugin from the one I am creating. (I need to be able to convert a file to .txt if it does not exist.) It would be nice to have a standard Call API for all plugins to adhere to.

Looking forward to your plugin!
sbenz
sbenz is offline   Reply With Quote