Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-25-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
E7218
E7218 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle 3 and Library Books

I'm trying to decide which reader to buy and until I found this website, Kindle was out of the running due to its inability to read books from my local library. However, since learning about this site, it seems that it may be possible to convert the books into a readable format. Does anyone who owns a Kindle 3 been able to read books from the library by using the Calibre website?

Thanks!
E7218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
DiamondDave
Enthusiast
DiamondDave began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by E7218 View Post
I'm trying to decide which reader to buy and until I found this website, Kindle was out of the running due to its inability to read books from my local library. However, since learning about this site, it seems that it may be possible to convert the books into a readable format. Does anyone who owns a Kindle 3 been able to read books from the library by using the Calibre website?

Thanks!
Not 100% certain, but I think your Kindle should read pdf format library books, but not epub. It's my experience that most new library books from Overdrive are epub. And if you use Calibre to try to convert the epubs into a format the Kindle can read, it will fail due to the DRM that Overdrive uses. So, you'd have to strip the DRM yourself, which you can do, but it's illegal.

This is why I got a nook.
DiamondDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
primetime34
Zealot
primetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheeseprimetime34 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3, Nook 3G
You can read any book from the library.....but you will have to remove the drm first (and possibly convert it depending on which format you get from the library). This isn't that difficult though a little google searching will show you how
primetime34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

Thanks!
Welcome to MobileRead, E7218
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
library ebooks

Quote:

Thanks!
Yes, many of us have been sucessful using all three library ebook formats. As stated, you either need to remove the drm and convert the ebook to .mobi format; or use a python script called kindlefix.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Or ... buy a Kindle 3 at $139 for Amazon books, and a Kobo at $128 for library books and access to Epubs not sold for Amazon. That works for me -- best of both worlds AND a back-up e-reader.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:29 AM   #7
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Or ... buy a Kindle 3 at $139 for Amazon books, and a Kobo at $128 for library books and access to Epubs not sold for Amazon. That works for me -- best of both worlds AND a back-up e-reader.
Yes, but some of us are still paying off our Kindle 3
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
DaAfroSheenQueen
DaAfroSheenQueen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iphone 3GS, netbook
I've only had my kindle for about a week, and i've already read three library books on my kindle. It's not that hard to convert them...takes maybe 3-5 min per book. Once I figured out what I was doing, it was smooth sailing.

My only issue with library books is that my system (PG County Public Library) has a "limit" on how many copies of an ebook can be checked out at a time...so I've had to place holds on books so that when they are returned I can check them out. One work around I've found is that most of the DC Metro area library systems are linked, so I've got cards in DC, PG County, Montgomery County, and Fairfax County. So between those four systems, I can usually find the book I'm looking for.

Good Luck!
DaAfroSheenQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
DiamondDave
Enthusiast

You all are very casual about removing DRM--you're basically making an illegal, pirated copy of a book. I understand that most of you probably don't care, and that you probably think DRM is absurd, and I don't entirely disagree with you--but those are the rules.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDave View Post
You all are very casual about removing DRM--you're basically making an illegal, pirated copy of a book. I understand that most of you probably don't care, and that you probably think DRM is absurd, and I don't entirely disagree with you--but those are the rules.
Exactly! Whether we like it or not, rules are rules.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #11
DiamondDave
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Exactly! Whether we like it or not, rules are rules.
I've copied my share of music and torrented my share of movies, but ever since I got into freelance work and realized the value of the printed word and the photographic image, I've stopped all that stuff. No matter how insignificant one thinks it is, when you break the rules, whether they're copyrights, DRM, whatever, you're taking food off someone's table. Now, people may think that Apple or Amazon don't need any more money, and they're right, but that's the agreement you enter into when you license their content (you don't actually ever buy anything). If you don't like it, start your own company.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #12
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
My library sucks with regard to ebooks, so I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

So if you get a Nook, wait your turn in the library queue, put the library book on the Nook with the DRM, read it and delete it/let it expire, that's fine.

But if wait your turn in the library queue, strip the DRM to read it on a Kindle, read it and delete it within the same amount of time as a library book, you're taking food from someone's table? How? When the publisher decided to sell that copy to a library, they knew they weren't going to sell the book to people who borrowed it.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #13
luvmy4brats
Connoisseur
luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
My library sucks with regard to ebooks, so I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

So if you get a Nook, wait your turn in the library queue, put the library book on the Nook with the DRM, read it and delete it/let it expire, that's fine.

But if wait your turn in the library queue, strip the DRM to read it on a Kindle, read it and delete it within the same amount of time as a library book, you're taking food from someone's table? How? When the publisher decided to sell that copy to a library, they knew they weren't going to sell the book to people who borrowed it.
Apparently
luvmy4brats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #14
DaAfroSheenQueen
DaAfroSheenQueen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iphone 3GS, netbook
I think there's a HUGE difference between making a library book readable on your chosen ereading device and "taking food off someone's table". We're not talking about reselling these copies and I would assume that we're not talking about sharing the copies with anyone (I can only speak for myself and I know that I don't). Additionally, once read, the copies are deleted, just as they are when I “return” them electronically. The publishing company/author has been compensated for that "copy" of the book, just as if I checked out a hardcopy from the library.

I’m sure that most people here are well aware of the "rules". Personally, after doing my own research which included speaking with someone that works at the patent and trademark bureau here in DC, my conscious is clear and I don't expect to have law enforcement knocking on my door over "pirated books". Maybe try the "blacklisted kindle" thread if you wanna ride your high horse?
DaAfroSheenQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:03 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
High horse = long way down, when you do fall... and you all fall eventually.
Consider walking or riding a very small pony.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote