Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #19996
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss View Post
Thanks, WT. Unfortunately leather is even worse than plastic for me. I borrowed a Kindle prior to buying my Pocketbook and without a case it was out of the question, as the rubbarized backing was even worse than hard plastic (caused me breathing problems).

I'm now feeling more rational and am off to start that thread. It's got to all figure out eventually, right?
It sounds like whatever you get, you're going to need some kind of custom cover. Perhaps cloth. Do you sew or have a friend who does?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #19997
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You can find custom made covers on Etsy or something like that. The accessories board at Kindle Boards should be able to help you.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #19998
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Why do people feel the need to slurp their food? My co-worker/boss/whatever you want to call her slurps EVERYTHING she puts into her mouth. From tea, yogurt, chili to cereal, I swear the list gets bigger every day. What is so damn hard about putting the spoon all the way into your mouth and using your lips to hold it in there? It's the most disgusting sound I have ever heard in my life. I was with my ex for over 5 years and he did the same. It got to the point where I couldn't eat with him anymore. Whatever happened to table manners? Just a minute ago she had a yogurt and as usual she's slurping away and then she says "I'm sorry" and here I'm thinking "Finally she noticed how gross she's being", and then she finishes her sentence with "about knocking my spoon against the bowl" . Where's the "I'm going to vomit" emoticon?
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #19999
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
LOL. My hubby does the same thing. I enjoy it when we eat out because it is normally loud enough to cover the slurping. He is really bad with soup. I hate it when he eats soup.

Currently I reamin annoyed at my office mates who think that reheating fish in the mocrwave for lunch is a good idea. Never mind that several people in the office have complained about the smell. I didn't appreciate it when I wasn't pregnant and now it is a guarenteed 30 minute departure from the office for me because it nausiates (sp) me so.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #20000
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition

My father used to do that, especially when he was snacking on small things as M&Ms. I now have him not do it with solid food any more. What annoys me even more is that he manages to crunch on everything, even if it's a winegum or something soft he somehow manages to make crunching sounds.

I just discovered that my body doesn't like it when I eat chocolate and ride in a car. I get all headache-y and nauseated.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #20001
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Don't eat chocolate and ride in a car.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #20002
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Moral: don't ride in a car. One should NEVER stop eating chocolate!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #20003
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Why do people feel the need to slurp their food?
It's considered good manners in some cultures. And often necessary when eating boiling hot liquids quickly, as must be done in certain circumstances, as it significantly cools the liquids instantly.

"Stand-up" noodle shops are common all over Japan. No seats. Business people rush in for a really fast food experience, and rush out less than four-five minutes later having just downed a large bowl of ramen or udon and boiling hot soup.

Of course, this doesn't explain your boss' behavior with yogurt...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #20004
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
It's considered good manners in some cultures. And often necessary when eating boiling hot liquids quickly, as must be done in certain circumstances, as it significantly cools the liquids instantly....
Speaking of table manners...

Writing for MSM, Gilly Pickup states, "If sitting down to a Canadian Inuit meal, your hosts will be delighted if you burp after dinner - it's shorthand for thanks."

I seem to remember reading in an Ian Fleming James Bond novel when I was a teenager that in China it was considered good manners to belch after a meal; a sort of compliment to the chef. The louder the belch, the more appreciative you were of the cooking. I have no idea if that's true, or even if my recollection is accurate, but it doesn't work any magic on my wife.

Then again, in You Only Live Twice we read these words:

Quote:
Tiger held up a hand. 'And that is another thing. No swearing, please. There are no swear-words in the Japanese language and the usage of bad language does not exist.'
I'm not sure I believe that, either.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #20005
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Stitchawl, I was going to comment on Asian culinary practices, but decided to wait for our resident expert on all things Japanese to chime in first.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:48 AM   #20006
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Speaking of table manners...

Writing for MSM, Gilly Pickup states, "If sitting down to a Canadian Inuit meal, your hosts will be delighted if you burp after dinner - it's shorthand for thanks."

I seem to remember reading in an Ian Fleming James Bond novel when I was a teenager that in China it was considered good manners to belch after a meal; a sort of compliment to the chef. The louder the belch, the more appreciative you were of the cooking. I have no idea if that's true, or even if my recollection is accurate, but it doesn't work any magic on my wife.
I don't know about Inuit table manners other than it's OK to eat raw whale blubber with your fingers, biting a mouthful from a large chunk then cutting it off close to the lips. Hiccoughing is NOT recommended at that time.

But belching in China, or most East Asian or S.E. Asian cultures in NOT considered 'good' manners nor is it considered 'bad' manners. They don't consider it at all. It just 'is.' Of course, picking one's nose is not considered bad manners in Thailand, and it's 'fun' to watch your waiter digging deep while carrying your food...

Good manners in China and Japan dictate finishing everything in your bowl. Especially every last grain of rice. (Waaay too many times of starvation.) This does NOT include alcoholic beverages... If you finish the glass it WILL be refilled. Even if you only take a few sips it WILL be refilled. If you don't want more, leave the glass full. And do NOT pour for yourself!!! You pour for your neighbor and he pours for you!

Quote:
Then again, in You Only Live Twice we read these words:
Tiger held up a hand. 'And that is another thing. No swearing, please. There are no swear-words in the Japanese language and the usage of bad language does not exist.'
I'm not sure I believe that, either.
Actually, almost accurate. Aimed at other people, there are one or two (only) in limited use these days, but they are 'borrowed words' from English. Otherwise, the nastiest you may hear is 'kuso' (solid fecal matter) when something goes seriously wrong, or 'bakka' to call someone crazy.

American curse words generally speak of sex and bodily functions, and the occasional relationship to one's parentage. You really need to listen to some good Middle Eastern cursing to hear some art.

Stitchawl
Old 02-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #20007
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
My usual bugbear of wondering what happened to common decency.

This morning after buying some things for lunch I was on my way out of the store and if front of me a man exits and on the way in is an elderly gentleman who looked somewhat instable, the first man lets the door just slam closed instead of keeping it open for the elderly gentleman.

Later that day I had several customers getting impatient when I went to open the shopdoor for mothers with prams, a customer in a wheelchair or an elderly lady. They had to wait maybe 30 second longer to be helped but got all huffy and started sighing annoyed. Those people don't seem to realize that when they act like that they won't get the service from me they would get if they were patient.

Am I old fashioned in opening a door or keeping a door open for someone else, especially those that might have difficulty using a closed/closing door? Even when I go into or exit a store and I see someone who wants to enter or exit I don't let the door slam in their face but try to keep it open for them.

/rant over.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #20008
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post

Am I old fashioned in opening a door or keeping a door open for someone else, especially those that might have difficulty using a closed/closing door? Even when I go into or exit a store and I see someone who wants to enter or exit I don't let the door slam in their face but try to keep it open for them.

/rant over.
Nope, you're not, because that's one of my pet peeves, too. Although in my area, most people will hold the door open. They may mug you when you get through that door, but the common courtesies are observed first.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #20009
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Nope, you're not, because that's one of my pet peeves, too. Although in my area, most people will hold the door open. They may mug you when you get through that door, but the common courtesies are observed first.
I regret to say that those 'common courtesies' are only common in certain parts of the world.... In fact, holding a door open for an older person (not one with infirmities though) can get you a tongue-lashing of "I'm not too old to open my own door!" I've had that happen to me on several occasions.

In countries that follow Confucian societal models, strangers on the street simply do not even exist, so why would one hold a door open? On the other hand, they WILL hold a door for a friend or relative, or someone that they have already been introduced to. Crowds behave more like a giant game of Bumper Pool, with people bouncing off other people at crowded intersections. They just aren't aware that there are others around...
Really bizarre from a western perspective...

Stitchawl
Old 02-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #20010
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I regret to say that those 'common courtesies' are only common in certain parts of the world.... In fact, holding a door open for an older person (not one with infirmities though) can get you a tongue-lashing of "I'm not too old to open my own door!" I've had that happen to me on several occasions.

In countries that follow Confucian societal models, strangers on the street simply do not even exist, so why would one hold a door open? On the other hand, they WILL hold a door for a friend or relative, or someone that they have already been introduced to. Crowds behave more like a giant game of Bumper Pool, with people bouncing off other people at crowded intersections. They just aren't aware that there are others around...
Really bizarre from a western perspective...

Stitchawl
Yes, that's also reflected in the length of time that eye contact is tolerated. A stranger on the street, only one or two hundred milliseconds; but for someone you’ve met, a second or two is acceptable.

In Hawaii, the blending of cultures can create untenable situations. Maintaining eye contact for too long can result in:

“Hey wot? You give me stink eye?” (translate, your staring at me!)
“You like beef, bruddah?” (translate, I’m gonna whup you’re a$$)

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness