Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
keeping my DXG until colour eink matures

just been thinking....allot of people are stressing over selling their DX/DXG units because they're no longer supported. the only option is to drop down to a 6 inch screen which is impractical for pdfs.

my decision is now to wait until the inevitable magazine style colour eink devices appear in a year or so. there's already some 9.7 inch colour units appearing in academic markets in russia and the US.

i imagine the next iteration of colour eink technology will wipe the slate clean again but how long will it take? my estimate is possibly 2 years from now. hopefully my DXG lasts that long

what do others think?
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:49 AM   #2
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

here's a movie of what's available now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViZnxN0lidc
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
I agree with you and hope my DXG lasts for a couple more years too!

Cheers,
Tom
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
I completely agree with you. In fact i was planning to post about this. I saw a topic at MR about a 6 inch color e-ink but i am perfectly fine with kindle DXG until i see a 9.7 inch color e-reader at a reasonable price (below 300 bucks). I plan to mainly use it for comic reading. My DXG is really great with mangas by the help of Canti. I completely stopped reading manga on my pc because of that. It is much more relaxing to read manga on kindle and looks more natural in my opinion.

For PDF reading i don't think color is much beneficial for me. Except for a few, pdfs i read don't contain colored charts.

I am zero interested in video and it seems it will take a long time for colored e-ink screens have high refresh rates enough for video display.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
max99
Addict

i read manga on my dxg too, and allot of pdfs. there's no way i could step down to a 6 inch screen meanwhile.

i'm in the process of collecting pdfs for the next colour eink device. it's by far my favourite format with a large enough screen to enjoy it on. reading older books is very pleasurable in pdf as you get all the original typesetting and formatting.

it will be great to have our manga and pdfs transformed when the colour devices start to appear.
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
I have a DXG and have decided that while pdfs can be read on it, it is far too slow for most of what I need to do with pdfs. To really do pdf files justice you need a full size letter or A4 display. Adding color e-ink won't help on a small screen unless speed is dramatically increased.

I think tablets are the way to go for pdfs simply because tablets can do the necessary panning and zooming much faster than any e-ink reader. They also display graphs, diagrams, and photos often found in pdf files in full color and take advantage of hyperlinked TOC, etc. in some pdf files. I'm not sure about the pdf readers for tablets, but I suspect you can copy, highlight, and add notes to pdfs, too, not that I need to do much of that...
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote