Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
07thompsone
07thompsone began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Post importing from calibre to itunes with album data

when you import from calibre to itunes you get the name, the author, and the first tag=category.

My problem arises with the album, I have a decent number of series in my calibre library and I was hoping to find a way to make the calibre "series" data go into the itunes "album" data and then the number in the book series would go to the disc number or something along those lines.

Does anyone know of a way to do that, or it it coming in the next version of calibre.

I could do it by hand for each of the series, but that would be kinda annoying, especially since I already did the work to get everything in the proper order and whatnot in calibre.

It is also probably of importance to note that iBooks doesn't currently support the display of any sort of series data, does anyone know if that is coming any time soon?

Thanks
07thompsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Don't bother, calibre will soon be able to send directly books to iBooks on the ipad.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07thompsone View Post
I have a decent number of series in my calibre library and I was hoping to find a way to make the calibre "series" data go into the itunes "album" data and then the number in the book series would go to the disc number or something along those lines.
When the next release of the beta is made available, please try the iPad driver and then we can discuss transferring series information to iTunes. iBooks does not show anything other than Author, Title and Category.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:44 AM   #4
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07thompsone View Post
It is also probably of importance to note that iBooks doesn't currently support the display of any sort of series data, does anyone know if that is coming any time soon?
Although I don't have an iPad yet, I've been playing with the "Grouping" tag in iTunes for organizing series (Grouping=Series Name), and then the "Sort Name" tag for maintaining sequence within a series (Sort Name=Series Name: 000).

I'm not sure whether this will successfully keep things organized if you use iTunes to sync books, but it does appear to keep series grouped and in sequence within the iTunes grid view, and has the advantage of still identifying each author properly, if the series had different contributing authors throughout its run.

- M.

Last edited by Vintage Season; 06-27-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One additional thing that might help if anyone is using iTunes to sync their books (and might possibly be useful for calibre's own iPad driver?):

After you have converted and edited meta information within calibre, and then added those books to iTunes, it is possible to manually set the "Genre" tag within iTunes (Genre=Series Name) to create a separate/standalone Category for that series. Calibre does not appear to be aware of the iTunes-added "Genre" tag... which means if you have a few hundred Star Trek novels, and used calibre to tag them as "Science Fiction," then used iTunes to tag them as "Star Trek," calibre will still see them as "Science Fiction," and iTunes will see them as "Star Trek."

Assuming iBooks allows you to sync everything within a specific genre of books, as it does for music, you could then sync an entire series simply by selecting the appropriate category, and if "Grouping" and "Sort Name" then function as anticipated, the entire series should be in the proper sequence.

Oh, how I wish I had an iPad to test these assumptions!

- M.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The iDevice driver sets Genre to either the Series name or the first tag.

If you have iTunes installed, you can use 'Connect to iTunes' to see how calibre sends metadata to iTunes.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 06-27-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
If you have iTunes installed, you can use 'Connect to iTunes' to see how calibre sends metadata to iTunes.
Ah... being rather new to the concept of ebooks in iTunes, I did not realize this approach had already been sorted and implemented. Thank you!

- M.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
oltmannv
oltmannv began at the beginning.

Hi, Griker

Where can I find "Connect to iTunes" in Calibre 7.5.

After downloading Calibre, I reconverted a number of books to epub and sent them to iTunes, but the Genre is not being set to my Series name, and I'm still experiencing the "Dictionary" problem in ibook.

Thanks
Vanessa
oltmannv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
oltmannv

I've reposted this in the proper location

I just found Connect to Itunes.

However, when I clicked it, Itunes came up and then I get the Windows message "Calibre.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

After closing, the system checked for solutions and reported none available.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit, with Calibre 7.5 and iTunes 9.2.0.61, which itunes reports is the most recent version.

Vanessa

Last edited by oltmannv; 06-27-2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Placed incorrectly in thread
Old 06-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
oltmannv

I found "Connect to Itunes" but when I click it, Itunes comes up and then I get the Windows message "Calibre.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

After closing, the system checked for solutions and reported none available.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit, with Calibre 7.5 and iTunes 9.2.0.61, which itunes reports is the most recent version. My Location is Canada

Vanessa
Old 06-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #11
GRiker

oltmannv,
I read the bug report you filed about this indicating that running in debug mode worked. Are you able to run normally (not in debug mode) and use 'Connect to iTunes'?

G
Old 06-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #12
oltmannv

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
oltmannv,
I read the bug report you filed about this indicating that running in debug mode worked. Are you able to run normally (not in debug mode) and use 'Connect to iTunes'?

G
Hi, GRiker

I've tested Connect to iTunes thoroughly, including a complete system reboot, and it's working wonderfully! This is so much smoother than the previous transfer to the iPad. I had a lot of trouble with the iPad not showing, but the new iTunes connectivity now seems to work like a charm.

Also, I'm finding that the books are transferring with the Category set from "Series" and the Dictionary is working on both the iPad and iPhone.

Yippee, and thanks everyone!

Vanessa
Old 06-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #13
GRiker

That's great news, thanks for reporting back.

G
Old 06-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #14
oltmannv

I'm happy to contribute whatever I can. I've been using ereaders since the 1990s when the first readers came out. Calibre has made it so easy to maintain my elibrary, and I've transferred my library to 4 different ereaders over the last 3 years, the last 3 with the help of Calibre. Because of Calibre, the process has been pretty smooth, primarily because of the marvellous responsiveness the development community has to the appearance of new ereaders.

A week or 2 ago I gave another donation and I plan to continue supporting the development as time goes on. Great job!

Vanessa
Old 07-11-2010, 01:23 AM   #15
mtngr1
mtngr1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, ipad
I have the latest Calibre and itunes and I do not see anywhere where it says, "Connect to Itunes". I want to fix the problem I have with the dictionary in ibooks on my ipad.

TIA
mtngr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
album, calibre, ipad, itunes, metadata