Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-17-2018, 03:22 PM   #1
mj_and_hj
mj_and_hj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Unhappy Can not get Calibre to work

Hi Everyone,

Pretty new to all of this. I have tried reading multiple blogs and help forums but can not seem to find an answer. I recently downloaded Calibre 64 bit for my windows 10 computer. No matter what I would do, every book I tried to enter would fail.

So I uninstalled and reinstalled a couple times and that still did not work. I then tried uninstalling it and installing the regular version (not 64 bit). Still does not work. I can not drag books or add them through the app.

Each time it is an error I receive. I can add the details of the error if needed. I just wanted to know if anyone has any ideas of what I am doing wrong (very good chance of that).

Thank you all and I appreciate your help.
mj_and_hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Error details are crucial. Without them it's a guessing game.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #3
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Yes, you are going to need to post the details of the error, please.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #4
mj_and_hj

That is what I thought, here is an example of what I get every time I try an load a book:

Failed to add the book: Origin
C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_ghe1pl\5e mbnq_add_books\0\origin_9780385542692.epub
With error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “site-packages\calibre\gui2\add.py”, line 399, in add_book
File “site-packages\calibre\db\legacy.py”, line 224, in create_book_entry
File “site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py”, line 63, in call_func_with_lock
File “site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py”, line 1566, in create_book_entry
File “site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py”, line 1287, in set_metadata
File “site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py”, line 1113, in update_path
File “site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py”, line 1573, in update_path
File “site-packages\calibre\db\tables.py”, line 135, in set_path
File “site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py”, line 844, in execute
File “c:\t\t\apsw-j6gj96\apsw-3.13.0-r1\src\cursor.c”, line 236, in resetcursor
CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file

This is for every book no matter where they originate, even PDF files.

Thanks again!
Old 01-17-2018, 06:05 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Where is the Library (the full path)?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:24 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj_and_hj View Post
That is what I thought, here is an example of what I get every time I try an load a book:

Failed to add the book: Origin
C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_ghe1pl\5e mbnq_add_books\0\origin_9780385542692.epub
With error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “site-packages\calibre\gui2\add.py”, line 399, in add_book
File “site-packages\calibre\db\legacy.py”, line 224, in create_book_entry
File “site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py”, line 63, in call_func_with_lock
File “site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py”, line 1566, in create_book_entry
File “site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py”, line 1287, in set_metadata
File “site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py”, line 1113, in update_path
File “site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py”, line 1573, in update_path
File “site-packages\calibre\db\tables.py”, line 135, in set_path
File “site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py”, line 844, in execute
File “c:\t\t\apsw-j6gj96\apsw-3.13.0-r1\src\cursor.c”, line 236, in resetcursor
CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file

This is for every book no matter where they originate, even PDF files.

Thanks again!
Something is blocking access to the library database, possibly your anti-virus. Try disabling it, if that fixes the problem, create an AV exclusion for the library folder. Some AV tools seem to regard .db files as sacrosanct.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:25 PM   #7
mj_and_hj

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Where is the Library (the full path)?
I am not 100% what you mean. Like I said, I am new to this. I installed Calibre and then tried importing my books that are on my hard drive. Do you mean where are the books on my hard drive?
Old 01-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #8
mj_and_hj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Something is blocking access to the library database, possibly your anti-virus. Try disabling it, if that fixes the problem, create an AV exclusion for the library folder. Some AV tools seem to regard .db files as sacrosanct.

BR
Ok I will try that and see what happens.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:07 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am not 100% what you mean. Like I said, I am new to this. I installed Calibre and then tried importing my books that are on my hard drive. Do you mean where are the books on my hard drive?
Not quite. Where did you put the Library, NOT the source of the books. Calibre DOES NOT use books in situ.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #10
mj_and_hj

Quote:
Not quite. Where did you put the Library, NOT the source of the books. Calibre DOES NOT use books in situ.
I think that did the trick. For some reason it was pointed to an external hard drive. I designated it to the desktop and it immediately worked when putting a book in! Thank you so much. What part of the error gave that away?
Old 01-17-2018, 07:21 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I think that did the trick. For some reason it was pointed to an external hard drive. I designated it to the desktop and it immediately worked when putting a book in! Thank you so much. What part of the error gave that away?
Can't find DB The DB IS the Library (you see).
DESKTOP
NEVER DO THAT
I don't know how many people have reported losing their library due to a desktop cleanup.

I thought Kovid had put a trap against using that location
Just move that folder to someplace safe, then use Create/switch: Use Existing to relink the GUI to the new location
Old 01-17-2018, 07:31 PM   #12
mj_and_hj

Quote:
Can't find DB The DB IS the Library (you see).
DESKTOP
NEVER DO THAT
I don't know how many people have reported losing their library due to a desktop cleanup.

I thought Kovid had put a trap against using that location
Just move that folder to someplace safe, then use Create/switch: Use Existing to relink the GUI to the new location
HaHa Desktop was just to see if that would fix it. I am a tad smarter than that. Now that it seems to work and that was the issue I will be moving it to my back up folders.

Thank you so much for all of your help and for the information. I really appreciate it all!