Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2012, 02:59 AM   #346
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
If you're using it as a reader only , then no but like others here I would use it as an 'entertainment' device for flights and train journeys so the lack of expandable memory could be an issue especially when away from home and access to a cloud, pc or alternative storage and recovery.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:07 AM   #347
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I have something called a MiFi it is a pocketable WiFi router connecting over 3G and 4G networks. My ASUS transformer doesn't take a SIM card so I can't connect with it if I don't have WiFi access. To be specific it is a Huawei E586 and it has 3GB (strange number, but I assume 1GB is taken up by operating instructions) of storage and a MicroSD slot, hence I can expand storage if need be. It is still a tad bulky, think cell phones by Siemens in the '90s, but I can see them getting smaller and perhaps expanding the number of slots. That way you can, in the future, have both cellular access and storage with some of these Cloud devices.
You gotta love technology. Whenever I run into geeks I make sure to take good care of them.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:18 AM   #348
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I have something called a MiFi it is a pocketable WiFi router connecting over 3G and 4G networks. My ASUS transformer doesn't take a SIM card so I can't connect with it if I don't have WiFi access.
I just turn on the WiFi hotspot capability of my Android cell phone to connect my Transformer to the Web away from home. I would not use that for video media though, since 3G access cost much more than my home DSL and is significantly slower than my 16Mbit DSL. The microSD slot in the Transformer can hold enough video for days away from home, and the SD slot in the keyboard can hold even more, so NO TABLET WITHOUT SD capability.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:41 AM   #349
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I just turn on the WiFi hotspot capability of my Android cell phone to connect my Transformer to the Web away from home. I would not use that for video media though, since 3G access cost much more than my home DSL and is significantly slower than my 16Mbit DSL. The microSD slot in the Transformer can hold enough video for days away from home, and the SD slot in the keyboard can hold even more, so NO TABLET WITHOUT SD capability.
Just use:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sh.samba&hl=en

to access the SD card in your phone. So if you have a phone with an SD card slot you can have a tablet without it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #350
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I'm seriously thinking about it. My Prs350 doesn't have an SD card slot, and I get along just fine without it.
Only two cases where an *ereader* owner will need more than even 500MB of internal storage:

1) Someone who needs lots of technical ebooks with plenty of charts and images (they will migrate to tablets, however, for larger & clearer displays - eInk is great for text, not great for anything else).

2) Someone who is so obsessive that they feel the need to have the entirety of Project Gutenberg on their reader at all times. :P

Tablets are a completely different matter, even ones advertised as being primarily ereaders (Nook, Vox, Fire, etc.).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #351
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just turn on the WiFi hotspot capability of my Android cell phone to connect my Transformer to the Web away from home.
Lucky you, then. For people in North America wi-fi access is mostly limited to chain coffee shops, McDonald's, public libraries, and a few other scattered locations. Not nearly enough to rely on. (for me, it's a public library and McDonald's about a 10 minute walk from my place, then it's a half-hour bus ride to the next nearest hotspot (another McD's)
Old 07-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #352
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Lucky you, then. For people in North America wi-fi access is mostly limited to chain coffee shops, McDonald's, public libraries, and a few other scattered locations.
I live in North America a few months out of the year, specifically the California central valley. I think that Wi-Fi is more accessible there than it is here in Germany, at least free access is. I use McDonald's and Starbucks hot spots there, but the Wi-Fi hotspot built into my Android smartphone gives me access via EDGE or 3G everywhere I am, so when all else fails I just turn on the phone's Wi-Fi hotspot wherever I am, here or in California. Unfortunately, EDGE and 3G have quota limits that can end up costing money, so Wi-Fi is a better choice when available.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #353
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
I live in North America a few months out of the year, specifically the California central valley. I think that Wi-Fi is more accessible there than it is here in Germany, at least free access is. I use McDonald's and Starbucks hot spots there, but the Wi-Fi hotspot built into my Android smartphone gives me access via EDGE or 3G everywhere I am, so when all else fails I just turn on the phone's Wi-Fi hotspot wherever I am, here or in California. Unfortunately, EDGE and 3G have quota limits that can end up costing money, so Wi-Fi is a better choice when available.
Since you're specifically paying extra on your plan to use your cell phone (through it's 3G/4G connection) as a hotspot, it doesn't actually invalidate my point - public wi-fi in North America is scattered enough that you can't rely on it as a tablet user who is stuck using the cloud to access most of their files and functionality.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #354
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
WiFi and 3G are completely different things. When you connect via 3G/EDGE, you're NOT using WiFi.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #355
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
WiFi and 3G are completely different things. When you connect via 3G/EDGE, you're NOT using WiFi.
No, he acknowledged that. He said he turns on the wifi hot spot feature of his phone, so as long as he has 3G for his phone, he also has wifi.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #356
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Since you're specifically paying extra on your plan to use your cell phone (through it's 3G/4G connection) as a hotspot
I DO NOT pay extra to use my phone as a WiFi hotspot. It is a built in capability of Android that I use, and I DO NOT need any permission from a carrier to do so. I have heard that some people actually pay the carrier to be able to that, but in reality the carrier has no real way to prevent an Android phone from doing that.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #357
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Of course they are!!!!! I have been an engineer in various communications technologies, including cellular, for over 30 years, so that certainly was not a mystery.

When I have my phone connected to via EDGE or 3G to the cellular network, I simply configure the WiFi in my phone to act as a hot spot to provide an Internet link via WiFi to my tablet which does not have EDGE or 3G capability. That also means I only need one cellular data connection for as many devices as I want to use it with. It is very easy to do, and certainly does not require a great deal of technical knowledge.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #358
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
but in reality the carrier has no real way to prevent an Android phone from doing that.
Are you sure about that. They should be able to see that you use the connection as a hot spot and just disble the data.

I wondered a bit about that because if you as a tourist buy this T-mobile sim card for $50 I think the contract says that you are not allowed to use it as a hot spot but of course it works to do it at least if you have an European phone.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #359
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Are you sure about that. They should be able to see that you use the connection as a hot spot and just disble the data.

I wondered a bit about that because if you as a tourist buy this T-mobile sim card for $50 I think the contract says that you are not allowed to use it as a hot spot but of course it works to do it at least if you have an European phone.
Theoretically of course anything could be locked. The could lock down the firmware so nothing can run on it. They could make their datanet only pass traffic they approve of.
In reality, even on Verizon, where, except for the new ShareEverything plans, they want to charge you for using the Mobile Hotspot feature, you can install and run the FoxFi hotspot app with, so far, no consequences or extra cost. Don't even have to side load, it's in the app store and the phone doesn't block it or anything.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 07-17-2012 at 10:19 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #360
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Are you sure about that.
Yes, almost 100%. I sincerely doubt if they do IP packet inspection, and I am not even sure if that would give anything away. Sometimes I just terminate packets on my phone and other times I pass them on through the WiFi connection, so it would take some pretty intrusive packet inspection to detect the routing, I would think? Anyway, it has not been a problem for the last couple of years.

Quote:
I do have a European phone, but a USA T-Mobile phone would be better considering the goofy radio frequencies T-Mobile uses in the USA. In the USA I am usually stuck with EDGE because of that. Of course, the T-Mobile Android system would have to be removed and replaced with one of XDA or other Android systems to take Advantage of Androids built-in hot spot capability.