Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
RyanMWilliams
Author
RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook WiFi
Nook Inspiration

I thought folks here might be interested in this post by Kristine Kathryn Rusch Nook Inspiration. Much of the post is about the changing industry, but she talks about her experiences at a B&N.

It makes me wonder how many Nook owners frequently go to a B&N store? I never go to the store, but I very much enjoy my Nook.
RyanMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Interesting. I still go into B&N at least once a week. I like browsing books & looking at the covers ( I actually find it easier to browse in the store than to find books at the B&N site). And I like to read a little more than just a blurb before buying a book.

Plus I enjoy visiting with other book lovers. But I think I've only bought one paper book since I got my Nook a couple of months ago.I still buy magazines there though.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
morari
The Word-Eater
morari began at the beginning.

The closest store to me is about one hundred miles away. I can't say that I'd go to it very often if it were closer though. About the only place I do frequent is the grocery store. :P
morari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
RyanMWilliams
Author
RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!

I just subscribed to Analog Science Fiction and Asimov's Science Fiction on the Nook. I always want to keep the issues, but don't like the space it takes up, so I'm happy to read them in ebook format.
RyanMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
The nearest B & N is 45 miles away; plus I've gone the "all ebook, all the time" route. However, if I had a B & N in the same town, I'd do one of two things, if not both:
Try to get a job there, or practically live in the place.

Why, you ask? Well, because I like books. And people. And helping people find books all day would be my idea of a great job. Actually, it's the only job I can think of these days that I'd willingly take even though it would mean standing all day (again). I've been in retail on and off my entire working life and one of my big goals is to get a job where I can sit down, at least part of the time. But for books? Sure, I'll stand.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
I enjoy spending time in bookstores but rarely get to them. When I do go, I tend to favor used book stores. I have such a large backlog of p-books that it makes more sense for me to spend my time reading than looking for new books.

There's a B&N within walking distance of my apartment.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
CatsMeow
CatsMeow began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & K3
My B&N is incredibly convenient -- right next to my most frequented grocery store -- but I rarely visit it.

I did visit recently to pick up the free chocolate and it struck me while I was there that bookstores are going to have to undergo a radical re-visioning. I browsed some books while I was there and downloaded several samples. But if I decide I want to read those books, I won't go back and purchase a book at my local B&N. I'll just download to my Nook. So how are local B&Ns going to survive if we purchase directly from B&N? I think the B&N of the future is going to have to look very different to survive -- much less thrive.
CatsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsMeow View Post
So how are local B&Ns going to survive if we purchase directly from B&N? I think the B&N of the future is going to have to look very different to survive -- much less thrive.
I'm sure all book retailers would love to cut costs by shifting sales completely to digital purchases. Just think how cheap it would be to replace all those brick and mortar stores with server farms!

That's not going to happen anytime soon.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote