Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
gandor62
Connoisseur
gandor62 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Ipad, Kindle 2
My Metadata file seems corrupt

I had trouble after I reinstalled my Vista Operating system and when I reinstalled Calibre and used a backup of the folder with all my Ebooks, it seemed to have lost a lot of data. I renamed the Metadata database file and reloaded all the Ebooks from the Backup folder to try to rebuild from scratch. All the Books seems to come in OK but on a better inspection a lot of the covers are wrong. When I view the book in the inbuilt reader the correct cover shows up ok, but in the main window or cover viewer that shows all my books, the incorrect cover is shown. But not all are incorrect.

Is there a way to rebuild the metadata file index or some other solution.

I still have the original folder backed up with the original metadata file intact.

One thing I did try was to edit metadata for a book and re download a cover, which went OK and showed the correct cover in the title viewer. But when I went back to it after editing a few more titles the cover had gone incorrect again.

I thought it may have been due to modifying my entire Mobipocket collection to enable me to read on my kindle and iPhone using a plugin, but when I inspected non DRM titles they had the same problem.

Any clues anyone. I cant start from scratch as there are over a thousand titles and so much time invested in doing the library.

Thanks in advance

Save ME.............

Tony

Last edited by gandor62; 03-13-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Trying to make sure I have stated problem correctly
gandor62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
gandor62
Connoisseur
gandor62 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Ipad, Kindle 2
Ok solved the problem in a way.

I deleted everything. Uninstalled Calibre, then reinstalled Calibre and added books from backup directory to a new folder. Seems to be all ok now.
gandor62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
apswartz
e-book reader
apswartz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Google Play Books on Samsung Tablet
That didn't repair the database file. It just replaced the corrupted one with a backup. I would like an answer to the original question on how to rebuild a database file.
apswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
Preferences > Advanced > Check database integrity. That checks the database and fixes any errors.

However, if your database is badly damaged, you can lose data that then needs to be re-entered.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote