Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
Max Introvert
Max Introvert began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
PSP Adapter: 5V, Reader DC IN: 5.2V?

Perhaps an EE could set me straight on this, but the widespread recommendation of using a PSP adapter to charge the reader has me thinking. The Reader specifies 5.2V for DC, and the PSP adapter only supplies 5V, ostensibly meaning 5.0V.

I have had some small EE training in my education, and I'm aware that a specified voltage has a tolerance, which usually works out to +/- 10%. Granted, the two voltages above are well within that particular tolerance of each other, but I'm still wondering WHY the Reader is specified for 5.2V as opposed to the bog-standard 5.0V. I seriously doubt Sony did it just for the sake of being able to sell another adapter.

Any thoughts?
Max Introvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:23 AM   #2
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
No thoughts. Tried the PSP adapter and it works beautifully
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 03:53 AM   #3
Justice Strike
Enthusiast
Justice Strike began at the beginning.

Device: psr600
got a sony minidisc adapter which is 6 volts. Works perfectly!
Justice Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:15 AM   #4
jwhayn
Enthusiast
jwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with others

Device: Kindle Voyage
5V is well within the tolerance range

There should be no problem at all
jwhayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice Strike View Post
got a sony minidisc adapter which is 6 volts. Works perfectly!
Don't use it. You are risking your Reader. The voltage is too high to be safe.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litter

Device: sony 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Introvert View Post
Perhaps an EE could set me straight on this, but the widespread recommendation of using a PSP adapter to charge the reader has me thinking. The Reader specifies 5.2V for DC, and the PSP adapter only supplies 5V, ostensibly meaning 5.0V.

I have had some small EE training in my education, and I'm aware that a specified voltage has a tolerance, which usually works out to +/- 10%. Granted, the two voltages above are well within that particular tolerance of each other, but I'm still wondering WHY the Reader is specified for 5.2V as opposed to the bog-standard 5.0V. I seriously doubt Sony did it just for the sake of being able to sell another adapter.

Any thoughts?
SonyStyle is selling the PSP505 adapter as an "accessory" to the 600. They do not have a different adaptor for the 600.
Grandma Aubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
bsg75
bsg75 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 (?)
5.0V power supplies don't provide exactly 5.0V, there is variation. 4.8V to 5.2V would be a typical guaranteed range. They just specified the upper limit in this case because a too low voltage wouldn't cause a catastrophe whereas say 6V could cause damage.

Anyway I'd stick to USB charging. It's slower and that's usually better for the battery in the long run.
bsg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsg75 View Post
5.0V power supplies don't provide exactly 5.0V, there is variation. 4.8V to 5.2V would be a typical guaranteed range. They just specified the upper limit in this case because a too low voltage wouldn't cause a catastrophe whereas say 6V could cause damage.

Anyway I'd stick to USB charging. It's slower and that's usually better for the battery in the long run.
Why would USB charging be better?
Old 11-06-2009, 02:23 AM   #9
vrf3
vrf3 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I know this thread has been inactive for months but hopefully bsg75 or somebody would answer the question about usb charging. I've been charging my reader via usb but since I recently came across the suggestion of using the PSP charger to charge it, I came across this thread, so is there really an advantage to just charging the reader via usb? or any device for that matter, is slower charging really better for the batteries? thanks!
vrf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:53 AM   #10
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
The only advantage I see to USB charging vs. the DC in port would be a potentially lower charge rate resulting in less heating of the battery as it charges - thus extending the battery life. However, IMHO the charge rate from DC charging is not likely to result in overheated batteries. The Sony DC charger supplies 2000mA, and I don't think they would sell a charger that would damage their hardware.
I'll also point out that not all USB ports have the same potential current output. Some PC/laptop have ports that will supply up to 2000mA specifically for charging devices. The normal USB only supplies 100mA.
In addition to faster charging via the DC port, some posters report what they feel is a more complete, longer lasting, charge. I have not tried to verify this for myself.
I have found that, for my usage, the brief time I have my reader connected to the USB cable for file transfer/management, is sufficient to keep the battery topped up.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:08 AM   #11
wbo
wbo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma Aubbie View Post
SonyStyle is selling the PSP505 adapter as an "accessory" to the 600. They do not have a different adapter for the 600.
Actually Sony does have a AC adapter that is specifically for the Sony Readers which is different from the PSP adapter. I purchased it from BestBuy when I got my PRS-600. The part number for the reader adapter is AC-S5220E and it outputs 5.2 volts at 2000mA.

I also have a 3rd generation PSP charger which is part number PSP-380. That adapter supplies 5 volts at 1500mA. Both adapters work fine to charge my PRS-600 but it does charge a bit faster when using the "official" Sony reader adapter which makes sense because it supplies 2000mA of current instead of 1500mA.
wbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #12
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJim View Post
The only advantage I see to USB charging vs. the DC in port would be a potentially lower charge rate resulting in less heating of the battery as it charges - thus extending the battery life.
For me USB charging has only one advantage, too, but that is enough to let me stick to it with every new gadget I buy: I only need one power adapter. No matter if iPhone, iPod, video camera or anything else that's released in the last couple years, I can charge everything with the same power adapter. At home I usually charge everything on my Mac but on vacation this becomes extremely handy.

I'd even go so far as to say that a lack of USB charging would be enough for me not to go with a specific device and instead buy a competing product that supports it.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

We already had a USB wall wart (USB AC outlet charger) and I bought the following to go with it for only $5.99 (including shipping).

http://www.meritline.com/5-in-1-usb-...--p-28335.aspx

I use it for charging Sony Readers using the PSP plug, the mini USB plug charges the GPS, the DS Lite plug charges the DS Lite, and the iPod plug charges the iPods.

Very handy cable for a variety of things to be charged.

Plus, you could buy the following wall wart to go with the cable for only $2.49 for a grand total of $8.48.

http://www.meritline.com/apple-iphon...--p-31362.aspx

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-08-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:20 AM   #14
vrf3
vrf3 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thank you MSJim for the reply. I think I will stick to charging via USB coz like you said the eReader usually gets fully charged during the time I plug it to my PC. My recent problem is that I've filled up the 190mb of my 505 (I consider it my library and can't delete my favorites) and have had to use a memory stick which drains the battery so much faster.
vrf3 is offline   Reply With Quote