Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
daisybelle
daisybelle began at the beginning.

Device: sony 700
Question Newbie confused as to what I should buy

I recently discovered ebooks (I know, I'm slow) and I'm totally loving them. I primarily download books from my library (from Overdrive, ebx.etd extension) and view them in Adobe Digital Edition, so to me it's important that a reader will be able to read these library files, as well as importing .pdf files. Cost isn't the most important consideration, I just want a good quality unit that will be relatively easy to use and have a smooth interface.

Kindle won't work for me, because I won't be purchasing that many books, I prefer the free ones ;0) and as far as I can tell Amazon has Kindle locked down. I'm looking at Sony 700, but people seem to like the 505 better, but I'm unsure if the 505 series supports Adobe Digital.

The members of your forums are talking about ereaders I've never heard of, brands such as eSlick and BeBook, so I'm getting confused.

Will you just give me advise as to what is a really good product that has the features I need as listed above.

One other question, I see that the Sony 700 is a new release, is another in the works that will be wireless and color, or does someone else have this in development that will be released soon that has these features?

I would like to purchase this soon, but I would be willing to wait a bit for these options.

I own both PC's and a Mac, so if I do buy one that uses wired transfer, I will be able to use whichever computer works best with what I purchase.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me, this is the most exciting thing I've found in a long time, I'm really enjoying these ebooks.

I also much prefer the Mobi reader format over the Adobe, unfortunately, the books I download from my local library won't let me open them in Mobi, I have to use Adobe. Hopefully, Adobe Digital will have a new release soon that will give more options like Mobi, full screen, 3 columns, adjustable fonts and colors... Here's to hopin...

Last edited by daisybelle; 01-27-2009 at 08:11 PM.
daisybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome Daisybelle, and fyi, as a Kindle owner, I can purchase from other sites, as well as download as many free books as I choose from here, and lots of other places.

I read library books on my Kindle, running kindlefix.py script which does not strip drm but allows the Kindle to 'see' the book, yet still 'deletes' it after the checkout period. These books are all in mobi (.prc) format.

I will say selection from most libraries is better in Adobe format.

check out the "which one should I buy" thread here. And, while you are at it, please click on the 'what country are you from' poll. Let us know where you are, and what you like to read.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37241

I'm sure you'll find lots of friendly advice from people here. Much depends on what you like to read, and where you are from. Good luck!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
The 505 I'm almost positive will read Adobe Digital editions (I have several PDFs on mine). It doesn't read as well as Sony's LRF format (it has problems recalibrating with pictures), but it is readable.

They potentially will come out with a wireless version, but not for a while. Personally I don't want a wireless version, and I like that Sony doesn't have it. As for color e-ink, I think we have a few years to wait before those come out in the market.

As for interface, a lot of people complain about Sony's software (it doesn't bother me), but luckily there is a program everyone loves called Calibre. You can find out about it on MobileRead. It also works with Macs, if you were so inclined. People use Calibre as a replacement for Sony's software.

I love my Sony, I find it easy to use, ergonomic, and plain old pretty I hope this helps answer your questions.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:30 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The PRS 505 and PRS 700 both come with Adobe Digital Editions. You could take a look at both at Target or Borders. The PRS 700 is very polarizing, with some loving it and others strongly disliking the screen clarity and glare and the battery life. So it is best to see it in person.

The Sony's are the only EInk devices that can read Secure Adobe ebooks (like your library ebooks). There might be other vendors with Adobe Digital Editions on EInk devices by this summer, but projected release dates tend to get missed - so I would not wait.

We have not typically had much advance notice of new Sony Readers. So there might be a reader with wireless in the wings, but there definitely won't be a color EInk version any time soon. It would be unusual for Sony to release two Readers in a year, so I would bet against a update this spring.

No matter how you are reading ebooks, if you have any DRM-free content at all you should be using Calibre to manage it for you. It can format shift practically any DRM-free ebook to LRF or ePub for a Sony. The ePub will be readable via Desktop Adobe Digital Editions as well.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote