Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
New 505 Owner-just a quick question

Has Sony ever given any technical reason why you can't access the Reader when its plugged in to USB?

Just seems kinda odd
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
Not sure exactly what you mean by "can't access." When you plug the 505 in via USB it is supposed to act as a mass storage device. Do you have the Sony software installed on your computer? I believe that the software contains a driver that makes this work.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
I think what OP means is that it would be nice to be able to use the reader while it is plugged into the computer and when there is no file transfer going on. Kinda like the iPod Touch or iPhone after syncing is complete. I agree that would be nice.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
kennyk
kennyk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Not sure, but I think kjk means why can't you use the ebook while it's charging on the included usb cable. I wonder if the ac charger can be used this way?
kennyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Using any PSP charger or the 'official' Sony charger lets you access the Reader while it's charging. Either of these options is preferable to charging via usb, of course. But while you're transferring books, there's no way to use the Reader. Fortunately, this is not a long process.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
monkeywrench
Connoisseur

No, you can't use the reader while it is connected via USB but you can use it while it is connected to the AC adapter. Here is the Snippet from the PRS-505 mobileread wiki:

USB-Mini-B for charging & data. This can NOT be used to charge the reader while reading books on it.

5.2V tip positive for charging. This CAN be used to charge the reader while reading books on it.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
monkeywrench
Connoisseur

Looks like DrMoze beat me to it.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
I think what OP means is that it would be nice to be able to use the reader while it is plugged into the computer and when there is no file transfer going on. Kinda like the iPod Touch or iPhone after syncing is complete. I agree that would be nice.
That is correct
I have been experimenting with different file formats and how they display on the Sony-and its kind of a pain to have to keep "ejecting" the Reader (i'm on OSX), then waiting for it to come back up, then check the file, etc...
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:05 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
That is correct
I have been experimenting with different file formats and how they display on the Sony-and its kind of a pain to have to keep "ejecting" the Reader (i'm on OSX), then waiting for it to come back up, then check the file, etc...
Can't you just use the Sony Ebook library emulator?
If you press the little square button at the bottom of the screen then you get to see a spread that looks like the view on the reader. Then a tab on the right gives the Reader TOC. I find it very convenient, when I want to check the layout of my book conversions.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:56 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Can't you just use the Sony Ebook library emulator?
If you press the little square button at the bottom of the screen then you get to see a spread that looks like the view on the reader. Then a tab on the right gives the Reader TOC. I find it very convenient, when I want to check the layout of my book conversions.
I do that same to check the formatting of the Sony books that I create. Unfortunately, however, the previous poster is using a Mac .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:22 AM   #11
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Using any PSP charger or the 'official' Sony charger lets you access the Reader while it's charging. Either of these options is preferable to charging via usb, of course. But while you're transferring books, there's no way to use the Reader. Fortunately, this is not a long process.
Is this right? I was disappointed that there wasn't an AC adapter in the package, but I do have one for my PSP and if that one works, that would be great! I don't leave my computer on all of the time and it seems silly to turn it on just to charge some device.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:34 AM   #12
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman
GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
Is this right? I was disappointed that there wasn't an AC adapter in the package, but I do have one for my PSP and if that one works, that would be great! I don't leave my computer on all of the time and it seems silly to turn it on just to charge some device.
I don't like the way that companies are doing this now. iPods don't come with chargers, Sony Readers don't come with chargers; it appears that there is a trend to cut costs by assuming you'll be with your PC whenever you need to charge. However, if it keeps the cost down and many people don't need one should it be included?

My dream would be that every device in the world will require the same charging voltage and polarity with the same size of 'jack' to plug into the device. Then people could buy as many as they think they'd need. My digital camera (Fuji), my son's PSP, and my Sony PRS-505 can all use the same AC adapter, I can only forsee me ever having to charge 2 of them at the same time, and that would be while on holiday, so I'm quite content. My problem comes when I realise that I need a different charger for my iPod, my other son's Nintendo DS, my mobile phone, my wife's mobile phone, etc, etc, etc

Cheers,
Terry.
GingerTez is offline   Reply With Quote