Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-24-2014, 02:16 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question send ( personal ) books to new Kindle Fire

I am very tempted to buy a new Kindle fire + the new UK prime+instant video package.

But I have a question about books bought from a different Amazon account...

I'd want to buy the fire using the amazon account that has all my music purchase in amazon cloud already

but I have a different account which I have used for buying kindle books ->kindle for PC ( mostly the free ones to be honest but it would be a hassle to have to find & re"buy" them with the other account, and many may no longer be there or may no longer be free)

This other Amazon account was set up just for book buying, with a vague notion of the whole family using it to buy & share kindle devices & books all on one account - but that never happened )

Those books have been de-drmd already & stored in calibre. So is there an easy way to get them from calibre into the amazon cloud which the K fire would be associated with e.g. can I mail them to myself @kindle as personal documents & get them into the cloud + on to the correct account that way?

I know that I could side-load them but if I am to go with K fire, I also want to get into being wireless & cloud based, for all of it's available content ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:39 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can totally mail them, but they will have to be converted into .mobi and you don't get your current notes, you don't get Page Numbers or X-Ray or any of that stuff. Duno if you care, but you should at least know this will happen.

You should try calling Amazon customer service and see if they can merge the two accounts, I have had (limited) success doing this; if one account doesn't have a lot of purchases, they will in my experience agree to delete them and add them to the other account. Good luck!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2014, 03:15 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well they are already mobi /azw - whatever format amazon delivered them in. I have retained the original formats I assume by a simple add to calibre & I can pull down fresh copies into K for PC anytime.

I don't have any notes to preserve. Xray would be nice if supported but these are mostly older mobi format books. is x-ray an azw3 only thing ?

if i buy a new K fire, do amazon assign a new mail-to-kindle account to use with it, as part of the registration setup ?

I'd rather keep the 2 separate amazon accounts. I have one in IE, one in Chrome , each with saved logins so I easily know which is which.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

x-ray is not an azw3 thing, it is supported by any book Amazon has indexed, but only in the copy you bought from them, since they have to deliver it. The books you have that are azw3 will be rejected by Send-toKindle (i think -- it may be they will just convert it down into a mobi).

Each device gets its own mail-to-kindle address.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Store your de-DRM-ed books in the cloud (Dropbox, Box, etc.) & get the ES FileExplorer app on your Fire - this will make your books both device and account independent.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 02-24-2014 at 03:30 PM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2014, 12:58 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard

does the fire expect books to be in a specific folder, or will it find them wherever they are on device - same Q for photos, videos....
do amazon offer es file explorer app & dropbox mobile in their app store ?
Old 02-25-2014, 01:22 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Books will be automatically sensed in "documents" or "books" or "Kindle", I know this because it is the list of locations (in descending order of priority) where calibre will try to store books, and they are immediately sensed on my friend's Fire. Dunno about anywhere, though.

Dropbox in the Amazon appstore.

ES File Explorer in the Amazon appstore.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:56 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard

thanks - so asking in advance ( my HDX is ordered , not arrived ). I have all my calibre library in dropbox already. what is the process for retrieving selected azw3 and mobi books from there onto the HDX , via dropbox mobile ?

( with my Kobo arc tablet, I think that i just open (tap) a book in dropbox mobile & the Kobo cleverly puts a copy into its own book library - are there more steps to do with the HDX ?
Old 02-25-2014, 02:11 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
There is the "Send to Kindle" program that is available free from Amazon. Personal docs and ebooks can be sent to Kindle readers and archived that way. Of course if you have bought the books from Amazon they will have been saved to your account and you could always just deregister the Kindle Fire from one account and register it to the other I would think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:31 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
... Of course if you have bought the books from Amazon they will have been saved to your account and you could always just deregister the Kindle Fire from one account and register it to the other I would think.
yes but I have my amazon music all in one account & my amazon books in a different amazon account. I can't practically move the music because it's all the CDs I've ever bought from amazon ( about 15 years worth! ) which amazon has kindly now retrospectively added to cloud player for free.

so I plan to keep HDX registered to the account which has the music, and just move my books around somehow.

Drop box mobile sounds like a plan, I am just wanting to know how slick that is
Old 02-25-2014, 04:19 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Kindle Fire questions belong in the Kindle Fire forum. Thread moved.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #12
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks - so asking in advance ( my HDX is ordered , not arrived ). I have all my calibre library in dropbox already. what is the process for retrieving selected azw3 and mobi books from there onto the HDX , via dropbox mobile ?

When your HDX arrives, install the Dropbox app on your HDX and register it to your existing Dropbox account - you can then copy books from your Dropbox to your HDX. You can set up a "Shared" folder to allow other family members to access your books as well.

Install the ES File Explorer app if you have more than one cloud source (Dropbox, SugarSync, Box, etc.) - it can manage your access to all cloud sources where you might store books.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:03 AM   #13
cybmole
Wizard

well I now have the fire HDX and am loading apps. but amazon app store says DROPBOX app is NOT compatible with my device ??? -
other amazon reviews say dropbox works on fire but not on fire HD ?
Old 02-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #14
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Install ES File Explorer - you can use it to access your Dropbox account and download books to your HDX.

And yes - some apps that worked on the HD no longer work on the HDX.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:14 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
As far as I know Amazon App Store has always said Dropbox is 'incompatible' with Fire (but not for technical reasons). Just download and install the .apk from dropbox.com, or add DropBox to ES File Explorer cloud accounts.

Last edited by tomsem; 02-26-2014 at 03:29 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote