Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #376
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It's in a MIUI Android theme linked on XDA.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #377
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
Found it! Thanks!

It's a nice font - but for me it's rather too dark. I think it's back to Verdana for me.
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #378
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Wow. I just realized how tight the line spacing of DejaVu Serif is. The line spacing on setting 2 is similar to Caecilia spacing 1. Palatino is a nice font too, but line spacing is incredibly wide. Palatino spacing setting 1 is similar to DejaVu Serif spacing 3.

I think I'm going to do a character count per page on size 4, between different fonts. Probably Caecilia, DejaVu Serif, Verdana (my versions) and Palatino, as that would be the fonts I'd use. Baskerville and Futura look OK, but their readability is less than the others, while I find Caecilia Condensed to be too squished.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #379
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I should have access to the Kindle Touch this weekend sometime and can give making Charis SIL larger a go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #380
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I look forward to trying it Just don't make it too good. It must be a teeny bit worse for me than the version of DejaVu Serif I modified myself, or I'll have to find another font or modify Charis SIL myself out of pure pride

By the way, in case somebody is interested in it, I've "researched" (yeah, sounds expensive, doesn't it? ) the efficiency of screen usage of the four fonts I've selected to be best readable for me. Caecilia, DejaVu Serif, Verdana, and Palatino. (DejaVu and Verdana are my versions, posted earlier.) This is the result:

Code:
Settings: Size 4, Line Spacing 1, Margin Widest.
I've used these settings for over one year, with Caecilia.
Therefore, Caecilia is selected as the default, at 100%.

Font		Chars x Lines	Total	%	+/-

Caecila		45 x 29		1305	100	+0.0
DejaVu Serif	46 x 31		1426	109.3	+9.3
Verdana		45 x 31		1395	106.9	+6.9
Palatino	50 x 25		1250	95.8	-4.2

Difference between least effective and most effective:

Palatino vs. DejaVu Serif

1250 / 1426 * 100 = 87.7%

Palatino loses out with 12.3% less text on screen compared to DejaVu Serif.
Palatino fits more characters on one line as any of the other tested fonts,
but it's extremely wide spaced, while DejaVu Serif and Verdana are very tight.
There you have it. Want as much text per page as possible? Then DejaVu Serif is quite a good choice Not everybody will like that sort of a "wall of text" though

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-01-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #381
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Want as much text per page then use KF8 and Charis SIL Compact.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #382
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popup View Post
Found it! Thanks!

It's a nice font - but for me it's rather too dark. I think it's back to Verdana for me.
It's not on my Kindle but then my contrast kinda sucks on my PW without a custom font.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #383
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Want as much text per page then use KF8 and Charis SIL Compact.
That's not a fair comparison, as Charis SIL Compact on the same settings is a smaller font than the ones compared here. Certainly the mentioned Goodfish font will stow even more text onto a page at the same settings, because it's even smaller than Charis SIL.

I've specifically tried to pinpoint the font that displays more text on a page, but is NOT smaller than Caecilia. (Yeah, I'd like to minimize flipping pages, as the Kindle already displays much less text than my normal paperbacks.) This means that the letters need to be spaced closer together and the line spacing must be tighter without making the letters smaller.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-01-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #384
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Compare Caecilia on 2 with Charis SIL Compact on 3 (using a KF8 eBook) and tell me what the results are please.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #385
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Question - can you install the alt fonts file and new fonts to a PW with the latest 5.3.3 firmware already installed?
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #386
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Question - can you install the alt fonts file and new fonts to a PW with the latest 5.3.3 firmware already installed?
Yes. It works fine.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #387
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Yes. It works fine.
Thanks Blossom!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #388
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Jon, I love the work you've done on Charis SIL.

Do you host the fonts you've worked on anywhere?
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #389
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Jon, I love the work you've done on Charis SIL.

Do you host the fonts you've worked on anywhere?
Charis SIL is the only one I've really had a go with and I'm not done yet. This weekend I'll be working on trying to make Charis SIL slightly larger.

I'm also going to give Fontin a go as well. Make it heavier and create a bold italic version. It does have smallcaps. But I might just generate a new set of smallcaps from the various regular versions.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #390
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Charis SIL is the only one I've really had a go with and I'm not done yet. This weekend I'll be working on trying to make Charis SIL slightly larger.

I'm also going to give Fontin a go as well. Make it heavier and create a bold italic version. It does have smallcaps. But I might just generate a new set of smallcaps from the various regular versions.
I already did Fontin. It looks nice. Too bad I can't share that one.