Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
duckfeet
duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nexus 7
Aldiko Basic Question

I'm used to Kindle, but now have Nexus7, and to read my own epub books, have had to start using Aldiko, and after some days of getting used to, it seems to do the job fairly well.

My question seems simple enough: how do you go back to the page you were reading, when you check bookmarks, or do a 'go to' elsewhere in the book. I know on Kindle I could just click on 'Back' and I would go back thru the different areas to my original page. Now, I've learnt to bookmark here, same as on Kindle, but it does seem there must be an easier way to just 'go back' to page I was reading.

I've already checked up and down Aldiko forums without finding this, and I"m sure it's something stupid I've missed, so if you've a link I could go to, or even instructions for the clueless, I'd be gratefull...

Much appreciated....
duckfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Device: NOOKColor (sdCM7), Kindle 4
I don't use Aldiko much but there's an arrow to the right of the progress bar (access this by tapping the middle of the screen) which should take you back to where you were before.
Eskarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
duckfeet
duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duckfeet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskarina View Post
I don't use Aldiko much but there's an arrow to the right of the progress bar (access this by tapping the middle of the screen) which should take you back to where you were before.
That sounds like what I'm looking for, but when I bring up the progress bar (tapping in the middle, brings up a menu on the bottom, with 'Go To', 'Day/Night/Settings/More ... and the progress bar, but nothing to the right of it. Progress bar goes just about to the sides of page, so as it sits, there is no room for something like that.

And of course beneath al this is the usual 3 icon/buttons that are on Nexus7, and they have return one on the left side, but that just takes me all the way out of Aldiko. So it has to be an Aldiko icon. Nothing that I see. Thanks for help though...I'm getting pretty used to Aldiko, and I've been reading, and it does seem they might still be ironing the one for tablets out, so hopefully soon.

I can't get the built-in Google Play reader to read my books, and this seems to be highly recommended, but of course, if you don't have a way to go back thru the various commands you make, it's all too easy to constantly be loosing place, and having to depend on Bookmarks is how I do it now...thanks for help though!

EDIT: Wierdest thing! I just got that curved arrow you were talking about, right at the end of progress bar...I was fiddling with it, and accidentally touched progress bar, all the way to end of book, and low and behold, return arrow showed up, right where you said it would be, and I clicked it, and it went right back to where i was, exactly what I was looking for...but worse luck, as soon as I got back to original place, it again disappeared...it's actually looking like the page is too big for the N7, that it is not showing up because there isn't enough room. I'll keep playing with it, trying to find a way to get it to show, since that was exactly what I was looking for...just that progress bad goes all the way to rt side of page, not leaving room...I"m sure there is something simple, I'll get in there and look round...again, many thanks, getting closer!

Last edited by duckfeet; 07-23-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Device: NOOKColor (sdCM7), Kindle 4
Omg. It is weird. I read your comment, checked my nook color and there was no "back" arrow there. So I pulled out my phone (that's where I'd seen it earlier) and lo and behold! It's not there anymore.

What the...?

ETA: If Aldiko is not working out for you, you can always try Mantano. There's a free and two paid versions.

Last edited by Eskarina; 07-23-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Eskarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
The arrow only shows up if you advance or go back more than one page at a time, either by using "go to" or the slider.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
duckfeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
The arrow only shows up if you advance or go back more than one page at a time, either by using "go to" or the slider.
Yes, that would explain it's constant weird disappearance, thanks for that.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:18 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Aldiko is recommending that people with 7 inch tablets use an older version of their program. See: https://aldiko.zendesk.com/entries/2...-7-inch-tablet

Quote:
For 7-inch tablets , Aldiko app will show the phone-version user interface. Phone-version user interface requires hardware menu button to function. However, 7-inch tablets running on Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich don't come with hardware menu button, therefore, you will not be able to access "Menu". We are looking into this and will try to address this in the next update.

If you are using 7-inch tablet running on Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich, we recommend you to download and install the previous version in the attachment here for the time being.
The link to download the older version is within the Aldiko post.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote