Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
wizardik
Enthusiast
wizardik began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
PB701 Android Market-Step by step

Hi, can somebody help me with install android market? With install sdk and something like that? I'm not good in this...I never do that...I want instructions-step-by-step...for noob..
wizardik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
marf
Enthusiast
marf began at the beginning.

Device: PB701, PB360+
Apparently we can't help you. But ... if you call before midnight! You've asked a bit of a difficult question, one whose answer varies somewhere between "sorta" to "nope" mostly depending on what level of firmware you run. There are threads here that deal with older firmware versions, poke around for something called "non-ugly market install" or some such. My best recollection (for free, mind you) is that later PB701 device firmware dropped Market support in some way shape or form. It's not an issue I follow closely so I readily admit my ignorance but I do read the threads here. I don't follow the issue because I don't let my device talk on WiFi <unnecessary reasons omitted>.

Now let's get to something pretty interesting - sideloading. The deal with Market is that you eventually end up with a file with an apk extension to download to your device. That's the application. There's a technique where you can snag the apk using your PC and then use the normal PC-PB701 USB transfer to get the apk to your device. It's a simple install from there. The rest of this post deals with one way to do that, stop reading if you don't find that to your liking.

Waaaay back when the PB701 was released (maybe a bit before), there was an interesting article that reviewed the device. Two wonderful comments appeared which I will simply reference and let you find your own way. Notable disclaimer: I have not tried this technique myself. If you give it a whirl please post your experience, you'll be a net-hero around these parts for awhile -- fame is so fleeting :-)

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201.../#comment-1099

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201.../#comment-1147

So go forth and fight the good fight, if you so choose. Well, at least that should keep your topic alive a bit longer and then maybe someone that has a better answer can reply. Good luck!
marf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
wizardik
Enthusiast
wizardik began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
Thanks

Thanks for reply. I think this
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=111
Is great post but where i must unzip iqapps? and how can i install android sdk
I have a firmware 2.0.6
wizardik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Android sdk is to be installed on your PC, NOT on your IQ !!!!.

With all due respect, and coming from someone who knows a bit about Linux and Android, if you don't know this or how to use the sdk, DO NOT HACK YOUR IQ ! You will brick it for sure. THERE IS NO, I REPEAT NO N00B STEP-BY-STEP for this, plus the latest Pocketbook FW broke ways to the Market anyway.

If you have an Android phone, just backup the apks you like (with Titanium for instance) and install them on your IQ.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
marf
Enthusiast
marf began at the beginning.

Device: PB701, PB360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardik View Post
Thanks for reply. I think this
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=111
Is great post but where i must unzip iqapps? and how can i install android sdk
I have a firmware 2.0.6
The post you found is a different way to approach the problem than I outlined, and does not appear to require the Android SDK. The reason I mentioned the SDK approach is that it does not require rooting your device. Most of the action for the SDK approach occurs on the PC, and the IQ is only used to install an apk.

I don't think rooting the IQ is a technique noobs requiring step-by-step directions should be using, certainly not someone that needs further details on unzipping a file. Aceflor is right, it's best you leave your IQ alone.

I'm sorry, I underestimated the level of step-by-step details you wanted.
marf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
musicman2523
Groupie
musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pocketbook iq 701
I just left mine alone. Plenty of free and low cost stuff out there without going to the market.
musicman2523 is offline   Reply With Quote