Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 06:21 AM   #136
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Thanks tekknogenius, my spare parts guy says it looks like a standard 2 pole surface mount spring return slide switch, then he muttered that he couldn't be sure because there wasn't a picture of the back to see the contact spacing.

So, my question, how many tabs are at the back - it looks as if there might be 4 from pic #137 - and what is the spacing between them?
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #137
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Thanks tekknogenius, my spare parts guy says it looks like a standard 2 pole surface mount spring return slide switch, then he muttered that he couldn't be sure because there wasn't a picture of the back to see the contact spacing.

So, my question, how many tabs are at the back - it looks as if there might be 4 from pic #137 - and what is the spacing between them?
Not sure of the spacing, but I did put two photos of the back of the board where it is connected. And yes it is a "spring return slide switch" (at least that's what it sounds like since you can slide and hold and it springs back to it original position). If you can get a part number I'd appreciate it. I'll also be looking for it myself now that I know what it is called.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	connect_back1.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	77798   Click image for larger version

Name:	connect_back2.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	77799  

Last edited by tekknogenius; 10-14-2011 at 10:29 AM.
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #138
toyz
toyz began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknogenius View Post
Here are some photos of the power switch. Hopefully they will give you some idea of a replacement part.
tekknogenius, some good pics thanks. Your pictures warn me of trying to fix the button!

ivanjt, these components are soooooo small. I was pondering if I have the solder equipment and skills to replace it. I could, for example solder a new power connector on, big solder joints... but without ripping the switch off, I can't even see what I'd be soldering to.

I'd go for a push button mounted at 90 degrees so I could press it with the stylus.

Attached is a picture of the back of the board. Spots marked X and Y might be where you would solder to on the other side. I'm open to comments.

Edit: GAH, I took too long to submit this post, tekknogenious posted very similar pics... but my camera seems better.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_3449.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	463.3 KB
ID:	77803  

Last edited by toyz; 10-14-2011 at 11:32 AM.
toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #139
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Very good pics both of you. The only problem that I see is that the switch appears to be a surface mount type i.e. it does not have solder pins that go through the board, it solders on to the board on the same side as the switch body.

The picture of the back I referred to was one of the back of the physical switch itself like tekknogenius' #137 only much more of the back of the switch (#137 appears to show it has 4 pins but I can't be sure.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #140
toyz

Someone asked about the holes I cut/drilled for easy access to the serial console header.

Attached are my two PE.

One I used a drill from the inside. I made pilot wholes then used a bigger drill bit with the right diameter for the hole/slot width that I desired.

After finding my dremel tool... I dremeled from the outside without taking the cover off. The dremel bit was not wide enough so the cut wasn't quite as nice as the drill. I took the cover off afterward to see how much plastic shavings was in there. To my surprise it was relatively clean, I doubt debris would be an issue if you didn't want to take the cover off. My big problem with this way is you are kind of blind where you are cutting, even if you have one already cut as reference. (don't go too deep, or the wrong way if you see 2 of the 3 pins)

If I had to do it over again, I'd take the cover off and use a drill with about 3 pilot holes, not a dremel. With the dremel I was too close to the edge of the lid. With the drill I was too far away and the header connector has to be bound sideways a bit.

Also attached is a pic of my homemade cable. I forgot to note, I repined the 4 pin header connector to 3 pins and cut off the unused slot with a razor blade.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_3440.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	77806   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3443.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	77807  

Last edited by toyz; 10-14-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #141
toyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRANGER View Post
Damn yall are smart on this..Im in IT (sys admin) and did VB programming....Where can I learn how to do this stuff? I want to help but at this time the only thing I can contribute is graphics for future roms, bug testing in the future and anything yall ask that i can research how to do on Google...Let me know how I can help
My experience comes from bricking Linksys WRT54G while flashing them with OpenWRT and DD-WRT. I'm a software developer and sysadmin on the Linux / Java side of the spectrum. I've messed with Linux kernel boot parameters on and off for the last 15 years.

Forums are great... Wikis are great. But it sure does seem like we have to do about 100x the reading to find information. A wiki that is obsessively updated is good, but maybe the same with a sticky page here that is edited.

Areas that I personally need to know more about for dev work on Android:

- What is the purpose of all the files in the update.zip?
- Are the files in update.zip standard? Do other devices update.zip have crc?
- All the mappings of our PE to the MTD device "partitions"
- How we push a file from USB Flash into an MTD partition.
- What we'd use u-boot for vs adb
- I assume if we get an adb shell, it's not a root shell?
- What is the cyanogenmod gapps-xxxx.zip look like inside and what does it do? Can we use it to get Google Market etc?
- What are the partition types (are they mountable in Linux) of the MTD partitions?

What I'd like to do is blow various things into an unused MTD partition and point u-boot at them to boot. Example, ClockWorkMod.

Probably all this needs to be in a new thread.... Also, I've not been reading all the forums on this site, I'm sure discussion of other Android based devices show us all kinds of gems.

Last edited by toyz; 10-14-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #142
ivanjt
Guru

Toyz, tekknogenius,

My parts guy came up with this for you, he thinks the P11157SCT-ND might do be what you need.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...t-nd&x=20&y=17
Old 10-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #143
toyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Toyz, tekknogenius,

My parts guy came up with this for you, he thinks the P11157SCT-ND might do be what you need.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...t-nd&x=20&y=17
Thanks! It looks just like the one that I have that isn't broken. I think I'll get a few. Maybe I'll find a push button too, I worry a bit I'll break it again.

Your awesome.

Wow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NN7UGWYmBY ... I have some learning to do.

Last edited by toyz; 10-14-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #144
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyz View Post
Thanks! It looks just like the one that I have that isn't broken. I think I'll get a few. Maybe I'll find a push button too, I worry a bit I'll break it again.

Your awesome.

Wow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NN7UGWYmBY ... I have some learning to do.
Glad we could be of help, he is rather good at what he does and that's what I pay him for

Don't de afraid of soldering. The main thing is to use a temperature controlled iron with a fine tip.

Also if you have a junk circuit board available do a little practising on that first to get the 'feel' of how it works.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:59 AM   #145
JRANGER
Connoisseur
JRANGER began at the beginning.

Device: Edgejr
So if anyone knows how to work with clockwork mod i think this could help with the recovery no?

Porting Clockwork Recovery to tablets

I can't think of a better thread name but this post will let me know that your tablet doesn't have custom recovery and will let me create a recovery for your tablet. Most of the time getting a recovery up and running doesn't take too long, some tablets do but we can discuss that another time.

MUST HAVE ROOTED TABLET.

List your tablets brand and model
List your android version and kernel (about system shows both)
Let me know what buttons are available on the tablet(volume, camera, etc)

Either in ADB or in Terminal (Note that the actual outputs are examples of what the command will output :P)
1. Type cat /proc/mtd and the following will appear, not exactly the same of course. Keep the output of this saved for later.
Code:

cat /proc/mtd
dev: size erasesize name
mtd0: 00500000 00020000 "boot"
mtd1: 0a000000 00020000 "system"
mtd2: 00500000 00020000 "recovery"
mtd3: 00060000 00020000 "splash"
mtd4: 06000000 00020000 "cache"
mtd5: 0af00000 00020000 "userdata"
mtd6: 00500000 00020000 "logo"

2. Then based on whatever mtd# recovery and boot is, do the following replace the number in the mtd# with the output of the command above.
Code:

dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd2 of=/sdcard/recovery.img bs=4096
dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd0 of=/sdcard/boot.img bs=4096

3. Now that your done with that, run mount and keep that command saved.
Code:

rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock1 /system yaffs2 rw 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock5 /data yaffs2 rw 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock4 /cache yaffs2 rw 0 0
/dev/block//vold/179:17 /sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid
=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codep age=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,
shortname=mixed,utf8,flush 0 0
/dev/block//vold/179:1 /sdcard2 vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid
=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codep age=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,
shortname=mixed,utf8,flush 0 0

Its from http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...y-tablets.html
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:36 AM   #146
JRANGER
Connoisseur

ok I need you u-boot peoples help....

How do I start u-boot for a .sh file

and then what commands do I need to load an image in u-boot from an SD card

Im assuming something like this....although the arg im sure are not even close

run_program PACKAGE:u-boot (Just where I want to load u-boot)
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 - sdcard
setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200n8 root=1f02 rootfstype=jffs2 reboot=cold,hard
fsload a2000000 boot/uImage
bootm a2000000

or do I need to use ADB in my sh instead...

mount /dev/mmcblk0p1
ADB SHELL
fastboot boot /dev/mmcblk0p1/uIMage [ /dev/mmcblk0p1/uRamdisk ] (does this boot the u-boot.bin off the sd card?}

Last edited by JRANGER; 10-15-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #147
JRANGER
Connoisseur

ClockWork General Porting INfo

Not sure if this helps but I figured I would put it up here

http://www.koushikdutta.com/2010/10/...ry-to-new.html

Porting Clockwork Recovery to New Devices

Update/Preface:

It is difficult for me to port recovery for a device I don’t have. So, people can attempt to port it using this guide. However, if you want it done properly, and probably quicker, you can loan the device to me personally at:

Koushik Dutta 2721 1st Ave 507 Seattle, WA 98121

The package must include:

The rooted phone.
A return packing slip to your address.
A signed statement saying: “I, <your name here>, am lending this device, <name of device>, to Koushik Dutta so that he can try to port Clockwork Recovery to the device. I understand that rooting a phone voids the warranty and tampering with the software may render the device nonfunctional. I realize and accept that the phone may not be functional when it is returned. Koushik Dutta is not liable for any damages to the device.”
BEFORE SENDING ME THE PACKAGE, CONFIRM WITH ME THAT I AM AVAILABLE TO PORT THE RECOVERY.

It will take around a week, and there are no gaurantees whether I will actually be able to do it (due to proprietary software, locked bootloaders, my schedule, etc). After a week (generally quicker), I will send it back. I’m a trustworthy guy and am well known in the Android community. And I’ve already done this for several loaner devices. Smile So you don’t need to worry about the safety of your precious hardware.

Otherwise, continue on the to the guide!

This guide will assume you have some familiarity with doing an Android Build.
This guide will work for phones that use a standard Android boot image format. This guide will not work for Samsung phones which use an initramfs.

First, let's check out the CyanogenMod tree. The CyanogenMod repository contains Clockwork Recovery, which is part of a full Android build.

repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b gingerbread

repo sync

make -j4 otatools

Now, use dump_image or dd to dump your recovery or boot image from a running phone and copy it to your computer somewhere.

dump_image boot boot.img

To build Android from source for a new device, you need to set up a board config and its makefiles. This is generally a long and tedious process. Luckily, if you are only building recovery, it is a lot easier. From the root of your Android source directory (assuming you've run envsetup.sh), run the following (substituting names appropriately):

build/tools/device/mkvendor.sh device_manufacturer_name device_name /your/path/to/the/boot.img

You will receive the confirmation "Done!" if everything worked. The mkvendor.sh script will also have created the following directory in your Android source tree:

manufacturer_name/device_name

Now, type the following:

lunch full_device_name-eng

This will set the build system up to build for your new device. Open up the directory in a file explorer or IDE. You should have the following files: AndroidBoard.mk, AndroidProducts.mk, BoardConfig.mk, device_.mk, kernel, system.prop, recovery.fstab, and vendorsetup.sh.

The two files you are interested in are recovery.fstab and kernel. The kernel in that directory is the stock one that was extracted from the boot.img that was provided earlier. For the most part, recovery.fstab will work on most devices that have mtd, emmc, or otherwise named partitions. But if not, recovery.fstab will need to be tweaked to support mounts and their mount points. For example, if your /sdcard mount is /dev/block/mmcblk1p1, you would need the following lines in your BoardConfig.mk:

/sdcard vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p1

Once the recovery.fstab has been properly setup, you can build the recovery using:

make -j4 recoveryimage

Your recovery can then be found at $OUT/recovery.img. If you are in need of building a fakeflash recovery, you will need to run the following to create the update.zip that hot replaces the recovery:

. build/tools/device/mkrecoveryzip.sh

Once this is done, build, and tested, notify me, "koush", on Github and I can build official releases and add ROM Manager support!

Tip: Run "make clobber" between builds if you change the BoardConfig.mk, or the change will not get picked up.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:08 PM   #148
JRANGER
Connoisseur

U-Boot Refrence Guide w Commands

http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit...E5200BUBPG.pdf
Old 10-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #149
JRANGER
Connoisseur

DAG NABIT!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok IM getting closer and closer to a solution but the closer I get the more snags i find...

The solution i need to implement involved building checks in the init.rc for a multi-boot.

Essentially...We need to create init.rc to boot/mount the SD card if a boot image exist else boot/mount the standard filesystem

From everything ive heard a timeout will need to be put in place when booting the SD because it takes a little bit of time to mount....

Now my solution to getting this all coded out is simple...I wanted to extract the nook color init.rc and compare it to ours...Pulling out the information to setup the check/ifs to do so...So here is the problem...I run windows and so far have not been able tof ind out how to unpack/replace the ramdisk image files so I can edit the init.rc......alss seemed to lost the website i had open with my ifs.....ugh....Ive been up for over 36 hours and working on this most of the time...Im about to go crazy!!!!

So who is gonna help me??? lol Come on peeps this is for all of us....I can feel clockwork mod in my grasps....I hope...Ive read a shit ton and learned a shit ton since last night.....

attached both ramdisks in the zip
Attached Files
File Type: zip ramdisks.zip (1.62 MB, 219 views)

Last edited by JRANGER; 10-15-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #150
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist
vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: edge & edgejr
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRANGER View Post

attached both ramdisks in the zip
attached are extracted files.

I am not sure i would know how to recreate edgeRamdisk though because of this:

$ file edgeRamdisk.crc
edgeRamdisk.crc: gzip compressed data, was "ramdisk.android", from Unix, last modified: Tue Mar 29 13:17:10 2011
$ mv edgeRamdisk.crc edgeRamdisk.gz
$ gunzip edgeRamdisk.gz

gzip: edgeRamdisk.gz: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored
$ file edgeRamdisk
edgeRamdisk: Linux rev 1.0 ext2 filesystem data, UUID=e9945e52-a611-494f-8d1e-23ec1f75847c

So what exactly is that trailing garbage i wonder
Attached Files
File Type: zip edgeRamdisk.zip (409.0 KB, 207 views)
File Type: zip NookRamDisk.zip (1.24 MB, 227 views)

Last edited by vldmr; 10-15-2011 at 08:04 PM.
vldmr is offline   Reply With Quote