Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
tibby25731
tibby25731 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Unhappy Argh! I can't complete set up!

I bought a Kobo Touch on Friday after completely falling in love with it in WH Smith. Took it home, plugged it in to charge, and retruned to it a while later to have a look around. I downloaded the Kobo software as advised, set up an account and tried to complete set up. However, after entering my sign in details, the ext screen says , 'Oops, something went wrong' (or something similar lol) and I can't get any further. I tried again on Saturday, still got this message so rang the customer care line. After doing a few basic checks that I am not completely stupid, they advised there were some known problems which they were working to fix, that they had started on Friday and they expected it to be fixed by Saturday evening.
So I waited, tried again, nothing. Got up today, nothing. Rang Kobo again, they tell me they have had some delays but everything should be fine in a few hours. It's now bedtime and still..... nothing. The Kobo website does not mention any problems so I have no way of monotoring this. I am desperate to get the Kobo set up done so I can have a proper play around with it! I've downloaded some free epub books and added them with the Adobe software, which is nice as I can now start reading, but I want to try it PROPERLY! I am pretty sure this isn't a problem with the device itself as my husband also bought a Kobo at the same time and he is having the same problems. Anyone else having problems? Anyone else know a little bit more about what is happening, and timescales? HELP!
tibby25731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Everybody is having problems with all their Kobo devices we are all hoping it will be resolved soon
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
You may get a sign-in error message if you have used special characters such as @ or & in your Kobo account password. If you have done this, change your password so that it only contains numbers and letters and then resume your setup.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Maybe it's worth uninstalling and reinstalling the Kobo Desktop software. The bug may be on your version on the software.

But you're right, it doesn't sound like a device problem. I hope this gets sorted out for you soon! Kobo went international fairly recently (I'm assuming you're in the UK from the mention of WHSmith) and there's been a stumbling block or two during the launch it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estelle58 View Post
Everybody is having problems with all their Kobo devices we are all hoping it will be resolved soon
We are? Speak for yourself. No problems on this end.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:57 AM   #5
tibby25731

Thanks everyone. My password doesn't have any special characters so it's not that. And I have uninstalled and reinstalled the desktop software several times too Yes, I am in the UK.... I hope this gets sorted soon because I wanna start shouting to everyone about how great the Kobo is, but whilst there are issues I just can't lol. Anyone know exactly what has gone wrong and a timescale?? I can't get much out of the call centre staff, I don't think they know too much themselves.
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
"Quote:
Originally Posted by estelle58

We are? Speak for yourself. No problems on this end."

Sorry, I tought it had something to do with the weekend's server problems It turns our I only have problems with my Kobo Vox, the app on my iPhone works just fine...
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hang in there, tibby. It's probably some silly glitch that will be fixed shortly.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
tibby25731

I hope so!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
tsb1
Enthusiast
tsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five words

I've been having exactly the same problems with the Kobo Desktop over the weekend even without my KT plugged in so it's possible not the device. Reinstalling the Desktop didn't fix the issue.
tsb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
tibby25731

Spoke to the helpdesk again, they say the problem is ongoing. Spoke to WHSmith who are going to talk to kobo also and get back to me.