Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
spm
Enthusiast
spm began at the beginning.

Device: KT4
WIFI Disconnected ...

This morning I wake up and could connect wiht the NC.

As I have to download a pdf, I did it in the laptop ...
then I connected the NC via USB and moved the file to the NC.

At this moment I noticed I have not WIFI.
I try to put ON-OFF manually ... and doesn't work
I power off the NC, power ON ... and doesn't work

(repeat these a lot of times)

From wifi off, when I tap ON, the messages under Wi-Fi are
1. Turning ON

2. none
(then show the Wireless Networks and I can see
WLAN_XX
Remembered, secured with WEP)

3. Disconnected

If I tap the network I want connect to I see
Signal strength Excellent
Security WEP

Have I crashed the NC???

Can you help me?
spm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
I assume you've had the NC already connected to this target network. The first thing I would try is a router/modem hard restart (turn it off or unplug it for a minute or two, and the power it back up).

If that doesn't work, I would head into the NC wireless settings and tell the device to forget this particular network, and then attempt to reconnect to it and re-enter the password for this SSID.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
spm
Enthusiast

KryptoNyte, thanks a lot

As we say in Spain "tómate algo, que pago yo"

Swithch off the router (directly out of the wall) 2-3 minutes and power on.
Then whitch on the wifi in NC ... Obtaining IP adresses (uf ... the 15 sec longest of my life ) ... AND CONNECTED

However ... there is something unstable ... When NC go to sleep and turn on again ... there is no WIFI ... I have to turn OFF and ON to connect again.

I've seen in some thread (nockdevs?) it's good turn off wifi before NC go to sleep ...
What do you think?

thanks again
Old 01-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
ShadowDragon
Enthusiast
ShadowDragon has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm View Post

However ... there is something unstable ... When NC go to sleep and turn on again ... there is no WIFI ... I have to turn OFF and ON to connect again.

What do you think?
What version of software does your NC have?

Settings -> Device Info -> About Your Nook and then look at your software version.

If it is not 1.01, that most likely is your issue as the .01 dealt with wifi issues in the NC.
ShadowDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
I have the latest software version.......but I've had issues with staying connected...,I have noticed that it usually happens after the NC has been asleep for extended periods. The only thing that has fixed the issue is the router reboot. It has been a little annoying, since everything is connected to my router, a reboot even messes wth the tv's......not that I actually watch much, but the kids with all there gadgets get perturbed....

It's happened every morning this week, execept today......next time it happens I plan on trying Wifi static (Krypto mentioned it in a thread a while ago) to see if that fixes it without reboot.......was actuualy hoping to have lost connection this morning...,
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
I read about this happening on the XDA Dev board, and it's happened to me once last week. One person's findings seemed to be mine as well. When it happened, it was because I had let my NC go to sleep before turning off the WiFi. (Normally I turn off WiFi as soon as I'm done with it to save battery power.) Simply resetting my router worked--a bit annoying but an easy fix. Now I'm just more conscientious about turning off my WiFi.
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #7
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

I'll have to try the turning off wifi .......although I don't really want to have to do that..., I usually end up falling asleep while reading......
Old 01-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Has anyone tried the Spare Parts app. Set "WiFi Sleep Policy" to "Never".

I've never had this problem and I'm still on 1.0.0. I changed the policy for another reason. Battery life is the same.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
spm
Enthusiast

My software is 1.0.1.
I have to remember turn off wifi when don't use it and before NC go to sleep.

I've read something about an app to do this: turn off wifi just before NC go to sleep (when I read it I didn't understand for what was).
I'll try to find it ...
Old 01-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
The Joker
Addict

Seems to have mixed reviews based on market comments, and seems to add other options besides wifi.......

I just let mine go to sleep while cooking bf for the the kids...,no issue with wifi upon waking up......for me, it must have something to do with time asleep, and maybe what I was doing when it went to sleep, I've been trying to fiqure out a pattern for my wifi issues, just haven't seen one...,

Guess I'll try spare parts
Old 01-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #11
The Joker
Addict

FYI...I downloaded the Spare Parts app and set it to "never" but it did not solve my wifi issue after an extended sleep..........had to reboot router this morning to get connected.........
once connected, I then download ipconfig app, to get my connection info, then plugged the info into the wifi static app.........maybe this will work.........I'll report the results of this attempted fix, back on this thread once I have more info
Old 01-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #12
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Do you folks have other wireless devices normally connected to the wireless router (notebook computers, PS3, Ipods, etc...) that now experience similar problems along with the NC, essentially all devices then working properly after the router reboot?
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
The Joker
Addict

I've got 3 laptops in the house, and 2 Ipod touches......none of them have ever had an issue like I do with my NC..... When I first noticed the issue with my NC, I was thinking it was because there were too many devices on the wireless network, and my nook would be the one to get booted.....but I'm 100% sure that is not the issue.....

My wireless signal is very strong, I checked it with a few different apps, as well as checked it on a couple of the laptops....

I'm hopeful that the wifi static app fixes the issue.......I'm not holding my breath though.....
Old 01-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Recommendation from XDA

There may be someone who is interested in SoftLocker. When it's enabled, it prevents the device from sleeping, but the screen can be turned off. When you disable it, the device goes to sleep as it normally would. Because it's something you control, you can be certain that the WiFi stays connected, since changing the WiFI Sleep Policy doesn't work for some.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/softlocker/otis8.softlocker

Some might say, "Who wants their WiFi on all of the time?" If you're someone who wants/needs to receive notifications throughout the day and/or you want feeds, etc. updated continously, then this is for you.

At the end of the day, you can disable SoftLocker and allow your device to sleep overnight.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #15
The Joker
Addict

I might look into it, not that I need to be connected continuously......but just don't want to have to be rebooting my router...... first I'll see how the wifi static app works......,

My nook has been sleeping for several hours....still was connected when I just woke it up.......and as soon as I woke it up the wifi icon was on immediately......normally after extended sleep I don't see the wifi icon for a bit, even when it does connect......

Not claiming the wifi static app is the fix yet though...,