Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
TheVirus
TheVirus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Cannot turn on Kindle 3 - RMA question

I have a jailbroken Kindle 3 - screensaver + fonts. I cannot turn the Kindle on. All I see is my custom screen. I've done the power switch for 5,10,15,30 seconds with no luck. I tried blind factory reset with no luck (reset, home, menu, down 5 times, center click twice).

I've left it charging for a few hours and tried again with no luck. I tried creating a 'reboot' file and unplugging it with no luck. I do not have a cover for the device. I can access the files like I normally can through USB.

I will more than likely need to RMA it, but I cannot undo the customizations done to the device. Has anyone had any problems with Amazon on this issue? I copied my documents folder and will erase the contents before I ship it off. Is there any way I can factory reset the device without having it make the screen work?

Thanks.
TheVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
TheVirus

Wifi/3G were turned off, so some automatic update wouldn't have broken it. I took the back cover off, removed the battery and still nothing, but now I have a few lines going down the screen. I also noticed a small push button near the power slide but I have no idea what it does.
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVirus View Post
I have a jailbroken Kindle 3 - screensaver + fonts. I cannot turn the Kindle on. All I see is my custom screen. I've done the power switch for 5,10,15,30 seconds with no luck. I tried blind factory reset with no luck (reset, home, menu, down 5 times, center click twice).

I've left it charging for a few hours and tried again with no luck. I tried creating a 'reboot' file and unplugging it with no luck. I do not have a cover for the device. I can access the files like I normally can through USB.

I will more than likely need to RMA it, but I cannot undo the customizations done to the device. Has anyone had any problems with Amazon on this issue? I copied my documents folder and will erase the contents before I ship it off. Is there any way I can factory reset the device without having it make the screen work?

Thanks.
I had exactly the same issue, although in my case I was unable to even access the kindle via USB, it was also jailbroken and with custom screensavers and of course the first thing that you see when you look at it, is a non standard screensaver, so it doesn't take a genius to work out what's going on! I returned mine in November last year and I've heard nothing since from Amazon.
Cheers
Paul
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
as paul has said, anecdotally we have never heard back that people who have jailbroken their kindles and needed to return them have had any problems with Amazon. your caveat here is, I have no idea what removing the back may do for that situation
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
m0ngr31
Connoisseur
m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I took the back off of mine before I sent it in, never heard a word from Amazon. And you could definitely tell I had taken it off.
m0ngr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 12:58 AM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinafrica View Post
I had exactly the same issue, although in my case I was unable to even access the kindle via USB, it was also jailbroken and with custom screensavers and of course the first thing that you see when you look at it, is a non standard screensaver, so it doesn't take a genius to work out what's going on! I returned mine in November last year and I've heard nothing since from Amazon.
Cheers
Paul
Do you mean that they helped you (gave you a new kindle, or refunded your money) or that they've NOT helped you (not sent back whichever you asked for). Have they acknowledged getting it yet, or is it still in transit?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:02 AM   #7
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Please ignore this post

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 01-27-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Do you mean that they helped you (gave you a new kindle, or refunded your money) or that they've NOT helped you (not sent back whichever you asked for). Have they acknowledged getting it yet, or is it still in transit?
They have sent me a new replacement kindle, the returned unit is definitely not in transit and has been received by Amazon, as an international customer I had to pay up front for the replacement which was refunded pretty smartly and they have also paid for the shipping of the faulty unit, as kindlekitten has mentioned there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that Amazon swap these units out without too much bother, I honestly don't think that they are too worried about issues such as screensaver & font hacks, even though it may be going against their terms of sale. More power to Amazon CS, they most certainly get my vote for exceptional customer service and they seem to me to be more intent on building a solid customer base than concerning themselves with nit picking over what in essence are rather trivial issues.
Cheers
Paul
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #9
TheVirus

Ok, I called and they shipped me a new one next day air. I will be shipping mine back and will report back if anything happens. Thanks for easing my mind
Old 08-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
rosemay
rosemay began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Looking at the very first post in this thread, I'm not sure TheVirus' way of factory resetting the kindle works... I have a kindle 3 wifi and the blind factory reset I did on my friend's kindle (sort of blind, I had my own as a guide) was as follows:

Turn it on with the slider
Press home
Press menu
Press the down arrow twice
Press the select square (in the middle of the arrows)
Press menu again
Press the down arrow 3 times
Press the select square
Press the right arrow
Press the select square

I think I restarted it after by holding the power slider...

Amazon are pretty cool about returns but it set my friend's mind at rest

I know this thread is old but I was googling for info on how to do a blind reset (before I remembered I had my own doh!) and there wasn't a lot of info available that I could find.
rosemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #11
TheVirus

I forgot about this thread. I did get a new unit shipped to me without any issues from Amazon. They sent me a completely new package (plug, manual, etc) and it's been running great since.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
sylviebi
Connoisseur
sylviebi is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, DSi xl, 3DS, iPod, Playbbok
I just sent mine back too (2 days ago) with all kinds of notty things on it. I was not able to connect to it via usb or even turn the thing on. So... We might me cell mates! lol

Got my replacement kindle and we have been getting along quite well.
sylviebi is offline   Reply With Quote