Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #46
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad View Post
Do you think that you could add the following feature: the capability to save a game in pgn notation and loading a pgn game?
thanks!
Farhad, I'm implementing this feature now.

The feature plans are:
1. Moves history, navigation, undo etc (for game analyzing);
2. Load/Save PGN file;
3. Support comments in the PNG file;
4. Support variations in the PGN file.

#1 will be ready in a month, I think. #2 will be ready in the 1-2 weeks after #1.

But it will be commercial version (5-10$).

Last edited by sergeyvl12; 05-06-2011 at 03:30 PM.
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #47
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

Device: N800/Nokia 5230/PB IQ701/PB 360
Congrats - I think that the application is ready for commercial release but I sure hope that when you mean commercial you mean that it will be a suggested price/donation/contribution and not a "download for money only" thing. Also, what license to you release the application under. So far the code is on sourceforge, will you keep it there or do you plan to "close" pbchess?
Farhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #48
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad View Post
Congrats - I think that the application is ready for commercial release but I sure hope that when you mean commercial you mean that it will be a suggested price/donation/contribution and not a "download for money only" thing. Also, what license to you release the application under. So far the code is on sourceforge, will you keep it there or do you plan to "close" pbchess?
Actually, base functionality will be always free (anyone can download and play chess). But some additional features (see above) will be non-free (for people who are very interested in chess and interested in a good chess program for e-ink).

Donation model doesn't work (I've received only one donation since Jan 2010, but have more than 1000 downloads).

After implementing the Pocket Book I want to port it on other devices (e.g. Amazon Kindle, Sony, etc). That's why I need some money. This forum shows that much more people have Amazon Kindle and Sony than PocketBook.

Current version is Open Source. This means that anyone can obtain sources from me. The additional things will not be open-source. So I'll choose a new hosting when commercial version is ready.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #49
berpdreyfuss
Enthusiast
berpdreyfuss began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the new version, works fine!
berpdreyfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #50
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

Device: N800/Nokia 5230/PB IQ701/PB 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyvl12 View Post
Donation model doesn't work (I've received only one donation
since Jan 2010, but have more than 1000 downloads).
I think that this is due more to the small(er) PB market and the fact that the word of mouth has not kicked in. Besides, most recreational chess players want a cute GUI and gimmicks, not a solid chess program

Quote:
After implementing the Pocket Book I want to port it on other devices (e.g. Amazon Kindle, Sony, etc). That's why I need some money. This forum shows that much more people have Amazon Kindle and Sony than PocketBook..
That makes perfectly good sense.

Quote:
Current version is Open Source. This means that anyone can obtain sources from me.
Have you used any of the free/open source licenses?

Quote:
The additional things will not be open-source.
That is too bad, I think that you could commercially sell a free and open sourced application. But that is your call to make, of course :-)

Thanks for everything - great application!
Farhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 06:20 AM   #51
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

pbchess-1.1.4

pbchess-1.1.4 released.

Release notes:

1. Critical application error fixed.
Test cases:
* Fen=[2b2rk1/1pp2pp1/4p3/2PpPP2/1P1P4/3B1q2/3Q1PRP/rN5K w KQkq - 0 1]; Move=f6
* Fen=[7r/pp1k1p1p/3p1ppb/2rP4/8/PB3P1P/1P3P1K/R3R3 w - - 0 1]; Move=Ba4
2. 2nd log level improved for the fast problems solving (we can see the entire game
at the 2nd log level now);
3. 2 new chess engines added: togaII-1.3.1 and gfruit-4bx (gambit fruit).
Old 05-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #52
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
great!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #53
berpdreyfuss
Enthusiast

I had two crashes with the previous version, one engine error (gnuchess engine) and one restart during a game, taking me back to the beginning position. I'll try this version and see if it happens again.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #54
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by berpdreyfuss View Post
I had two crashes with the previous version, one engine error (gnuchess engine) and one restart during a game, taking me back to the beginning position. I'll try this version and see if it happens again.
Berpdreyfuss,

This version has improved logging, so I can see the whole game from the beginning and reproduce it from any position. Please, don't be silent if you have any problem (crash, engine error, etc).
Old 05-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #55
berpdreyfuss
Enthusiast

ok, I'll try the new version. I would have reported the errors, you just were too fast with the update
Old 07-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #56
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

pbchess-1.2.0

pbchess-1.2.0 released. See details here.

This is the first commercial version of pbchess. It is designed for chess fans who play chess regularly and want to improve their skills. The moves history is very important for game analysis (it's very hard to learn play chess without reviewing your games). Besides this version allows to rollback stupid moves during the game. See user manual (readme) for details.

stockfish 2.0.1 has been replaced with stockfish 2.1.1.

The license on pbchess-1.2.0 can be applied to all the future versions of pbchess-1.2.x (see plans).

Download, evaluate and buy if you like it

The pbchess-1.1.x line will stay free.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #57
berpdreyfuss
Enthusiast

Great features in the new version, especially that you can go back in the history of moves, I will register for sure!

Where can I load pgn files? In the future I would really like to see the already planned support for displaying comments.

Attached is the updated german translation, it says "options" in the menu but there is no entry in the lng file, it could be replaced by "Optionen"
Attached Files
File Type: zip de.zip (422 Bytes, 294 views)
Old 07-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #58
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by berpdreyfuss
Great features in the new version, especially that you can go back in the history of moves, I will register for sure!
Thanks!

Quote:
Where can I load pgn files?
This version uses only game.txt file for save/load the last game in the PGN format. It can't work with arbitrary file names yet. I'll add the bookshelf integration in the next version (pbchess-1.2.1). And than you will can load PGN and PZL files like books. It will allow for example to create you PGN library of openings (Spanish, Italian, Kings Gambit etc), load arbitrary chess puzzles and so on ...

Quote:
In the future I would really like to see the already planned support for displaying comments.
Yes, this is a first-priority task (along with bookshelf integration and set up an arbitrary position on the board), but not so simple as 2 others. I'll add all the tasks for pbchess-1.2.x on our bug-tracker (project=pbchess) and than we will decide which features will be implemented first. Bug-tracker has russian interface for anonymous user. You should register to change user interface to your own. This bug-tracker will be announced on the mobileread soon. We will create the base of pocketbook software defects on it (including official software and pocketbook free projects).

Quote:
Attached is the updated german translation, it says "options" in the menu but there is no entry in the lng file, it could be replaced by "Optionen"
Biiiiiig thanks!

Last edited by sergeyvl12; 07-01-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:01 AM   #59
berpdreyfuss
Enthusiast

Hello,

paypal doesn't send money to Ukraine, at least from Germany where I am. I will have to look into webmoney, it seems like the english documentation isn't that good, but we'll see...
Old 07-02-2011, 07:25 AM   #60
Kino
Enthusiast
Kino began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook
Will any of these versions work on the Pocketbook IQ?
Kino is offline   Reply With Quote