Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
FAQs for iPad with a heavy dose of civility

Okay, it has been asked for, so I'm starting it. Post a question, get answers.

Post a flame, get deleted.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post

Can kjk be encouraged to post the mini-faq that has already been started in another thread in this sticky?
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rique View Post
Can kjk be encouraged to post the mini-faq that has already been started in another thread in this sticky?
of course! Feel free to correct, edit, complain
I'm looking at presenting the information based on how people may search for it...i.e. "Can I read my Kindle books on an iPad?"

DRM Formats, Vendor Specific:
iBooks (Fairplay ePub)
iBooks

Kindle (various formats)
Kindle App, by Amazon (iPad and iPhone apps available, no sideloading)

Barnes and Noble (Adobe DRM-ADEPT Variant- PDF and ePub)
Barnes and Noble eReader Apps, by Barnes and Noble (iPad and iPhone apps available, no sideloading)

Borders Books (Adobe ADEPT(?) PDF and ePub)
Borders eBooks for iPhone and iPad

Kobo Books (Adobe ADEPT(?) PDF and ePub)
Kobo Books by Kobo (also Borders)

Sony Books (Adobe ADEPT(?) ePub)
Txtr, by Txtr (iPhone app available)

DRM Formats, General:
Adobe ADEPT (PDF and ePub)
Kobo, by Kobo (iPad and iPhone apps available, no sideloading)
Txtr, by Txtr (iPhone app available)

Non-DRM Formats:
ePub
iBooks, by Apple (iPad app available now, iPhone app 6/21)
Stanza App, by Lexcycle (iPad and iPhone apps available-thru iTunes)
IBIS Reader, by Threepress (HTML5 based, no app required)

PDF
Stanza, by Lexcycle (iPad and iPhone apps available-thru iTunes)
Cloudreaders by Cloudreaders
GoodReader by Good-i-Ware
iBooks, by Apple (for both iPad and iPhone on 6/21)

Mobi
Stanza, by Lexcycle (iPad and iPhone apps available-thru Stanza Desktop)

PDB
iSilo by iSilo (iPad and iPhone apps available)

LIT

CHM
Bookshelf by HPC Technologies (iPad and iPhone apps available)

Other:
Comics (CBR, CBZ)
Stanza, by Lexcycle (iPad and iPhone apps available-thru iTunes)
Cloudreaders by Cloudreaders
Comic Zeal by bitolithic.
Bookman, by Bookman Lab
Marvel Comics by Marvel

Unsupported:
Sony (LRF, LRX) by Sony. (deprecated)
here as well , thanks, nikkie!

Last edited by kjk; 07-01-2010 at 03:14 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Nice kjk

I bet this helps some folks....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:43 AM   #5
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Sony reader shouldn't really say unsupported... Or maybe unsupported natively textr can read the books after all.
And if used with full force could be a very good option(haven't tried that myself though as don't have txtr)
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:22 AM   #6
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kjk

Thanks for the wiki link. We'll use this thread as a way to gather in more FAQs and you can update if needed.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
My IPad is great, but twice now I have checked the time on its clock and it's an hour or two slow. Has anyone else had IPad clock issues?
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
My IPad is great, but twice now I have checked the time on its clock and it's an hour or two slow. Has anyone else had IPad clock issues?
toomanybooks, I haven't had any clock issues-but I have the 3G version, which I think synchs automatically to an accurate clock..somewhere

Do you Date and Time set to Set Automatically in Settings/General?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:

Love it! Would like to help out if I can.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
toomanybooks, I haven't had any clock issues-but I have the 3G version, which I think synchs automatically to an accurate clock..somewhere

Do you Date and Time set to Set Automatically in Settings/General?
I've got the WiFi only version, but my clock is absolutely accurate. I've got WiFi on almost all the time and browse the web frequently a few times per day; maybe this makes the difference...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
If you have not yet jailbroken your device and have iTunes 9.2 installed already, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO JAILBREAK. Your device will go into an infinite boot loop.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #12
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I have learned that doing a soft reset temporarily solves the problem. I have an appointment at the genius bar tomorrow. Hopefully they can solve it permanently.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #13
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I've got the WiFi only version, but my clock is absolutely accurate. I've got WiFi on almost all the time and browse the web frequently a few times per day; maybe this makes the difference...
Maybe you have not set something in settings. There's a slide out in "general" that says "set automatically". Maybe that needs to be put to yes?
Old 06-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #14
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
Thumbs up

Quote:

Great idea. Thanks!
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:53 AM   #15
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
I have problems using Facebook in Safari on the Ipad. If you look at your or a Friends list of friends, the popup window has no scroll Bar. Does anyone know what the cause is and is there a way around it.

I have also noticed that if you use scroll selectors on Web Forms in Safari, the hight can be very short, making it difficult to see the selections.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote