Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-24-2009, 04:00 AM   #16
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avarwen View Post
Sony is still converting its books to epub format so it's most likely on their end, I bought four books from them and one was still in BBeB so I can't get it to download to ADE let alone put it on to my device. I'm assuming this could be a problem if you use other ebook stores as well. The software might not yet be able to read all epub formats.
FYI this thread is discussing problems with Simon & Schuster not Sony.

DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:31 AM   #17
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
FYI this thread is discussing problems with Simon & Schuster not Sony.

Would making the point of their price comparison of paperback and ebooks being the same (and high at that) constitute discussing Simon & Schuster's problems? I had never heard of them until this thread and when I took a look at their site to check out some ebooks I was astounded by the price they are charging for ebooks, especially as they are the same as paperbacks.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:00 AM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Perfect example of why I unDRM and keep a backup copy, or three, of everything I buy.
three is best, preferable on different types of storage media.

Glad to see them converting. Hope they get it figured out. Definitely sounds like the problem is on the server end.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #19
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I had never heard of them until this thread and when I took a look at their site to check out some ebooks I was astounded by the price they are charging for ebooks, especially as they are the same as paperbacks.
One problem with publisher's web sites is that they charge list price. Retailers, like the Sony Store or Amazon, typically pay 50% of the list price to the publisher - so they have significant room to discount. Amazon even looses money (charges less then 50% list price) on bestsellers.

I don't have a problem with ebooks being priced the same as paperback books, but I agree that even paperback books can be pricey these days.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #20
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
One problem with publisher's web sites is that they charge list price.
Yeah, but S&S used to discount better than the retailers at one time.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #21
jeankap
EReading Gadget Maven
jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: All of 'em.
Update: Still haven't heard back from S&S tech support.

BBeB was not offered as a file format option. Neither was eReader or plain old PDFs. EVERYTHING in my account is now epub. I can only see the download links for this particular order if I go to the order itself - not to my bookshelf. I haven't tried to download any of the other stuff, because I already have it, and have it backed up.

There is only one epub standard, and if everyone else's stuff works and S&S's fails, then the problem is definitely not with everyone else's stuff... Knowing a thing or two about how this is supposed to work, I can definitely say that the problem is with S&S's servers and the encryption file that ADE is supposed to be able to decrypt.

The only reason I went back to the site was because I had that 40% off your entire purchase coupon. For a while you could only buy eReader or true PDFs there. Then the pricing went nuts. I was hoping that they had maybe found their sanity by putting everything out there in epub, but I guess not.

S&S Customer Service=FAIL.

I'm going to challenge the charge on my Amex and buy the books elsewhere.
jeankap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:03 PM   #22
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
S&S is very definitely aware of the problems and we (Adobe) are working with them to identify and solve the problems. Unfortunately at this point there is not much that you guys can do other than be patient with them, and give their tech support information when they ask for it (it does help).
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've just downloaded 3 of the 4 eBooks I purchased from S&S. They are all now in ePub. Before they were MS Reader. 1 of them did give me...

Error getting license
Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_INTERNAL

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-24-2009 at 08:27 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:34 PM   #24
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
S&S is very definitely aware of the problems and we (Adobe) are working with them to identify and solve the problems. Unfortunately at this point there is not much that you guys can do other than be patient with them, and give their tech support information when they ask for it (it does help).
Thanks Jim
Old 10-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #25
jeankap
EReading Gadget Maven
jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
Oh, I was willing to be patient until it became apparent that they were not reading the tech support information I provided. Two times. I made my decision to challenge the charge based on their communications issues - they didn't read what I provided, and they were less than timely about resolving the problem.

Meanwhile, I went over to the Sony store and everything just worked...

I'm a technical person and I work with software. Even so, sometimes it's just nice to have something "just work."
Old 10-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #26
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeankap View Post

I'm a technical person and I work with software. Even so, sometimes it's just nice to have something "just work."

++++ Me too and I have very little patience with on-line systems that don't work (particularly for the simple stuff).
Old 10-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #27
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Just heard back from S&S support asking for error logs and stuff. Unfortunately ADE isn't producing an error log in this case (yes I have error logging enabled), but they do seem to be trying to get to the bottom of it.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #28
kennyc

That's good to hear.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #29
jeankap
EReading Gadget Maven

Yeah, they finally got back to me, too. I was able to download 3 of 9 files into ADE (5 of the total amount of files were from previous purchases). None of them will open in Sony eReader Library, let alone sync over to my 300.

I'll give them another 48 hours, but I'm pretty certain that this is going to wind up being a too little too late situation.

For what it's worth, I did some googling, and found a temporary working workaround on the Adobe forums - with ADE closed, go into the ADE folder, delete the restore folder, the error.log, and the import.log, which essentially "resets" the ADE state when you start it back up. This was the only way I was able to import the 3 files that actually worked (in ADE only, though). Unfortunately, the workaround stopped working after the 3rd book. So now I have 3 books that I can read on my Mac, but nowhere else.

Lovely. I'm not calling Amex off them yet.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #30
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeankap View Post
Yeah, they finally got back to me, too. I was able to download 3 of 9 files into ADE (5 of the total amount of files were from previous purchases). None of them will open in Sony eReader Library, let alone sync over to my 300.

I'll give them another 48 hours, but I'm pretty certain that this is going to wind up being a too little too late situation.

For what it's worth, I did some googling, and found a temporary working workaround on the Adobe forums - with ADE closed, go into the ADE folder, delete the restore folder, the error.log, and the import.log, which essentially "resets" the ADE state when you start it back up. This was the only way I was able to import the 3 files that actually worked (in ADE only, though). Unfortunately, the workaround stopped working after the 3rd book. So now I have 3 books that I can read on my Mac, but nowhere else.

Lovely. I'm not calling Amex off them yet.

Yeah... don't use this, it worked but only as a side effect. S&S is still identifying the problems on their servers, but I can attest that they are very definitely actively and frantically working on it.

By the way once you have them downloaded and working you should be able to copy the files to any computer/device that you have authorized and it should work (as long as the permissions don't limit it to a single device).
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote