Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-16-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
Jodi
Jodi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket Reader
Can you buy books from other places besides the Sony Ebook Store?

Please forgive me, I'm sure this questi0n has been asked here before. I'm pretty technology challenged and was wondering if you can download books to your reader from other sources besides the Sony Ebook store.

Thanks so much.

Jodi
Jodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
Please forgive me, I'm sure this questi0n has been asked here before. I'm pretty technology challenged and was wondering if you can download books to your reader from other sources besides the Sony Ebook store.

Thanks so much.

Jodi
Anywhere that sells ePubs which use ADEPT DRM or unprotected ePub or LRF files is PRS-300 compatible. This includes Baen Webscriptions, BooksOnBoard, and quite a few other store sites.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi View Post

Thanks so much.

Jodi
Yes, you can buy at any store that has Adobe DRM protected eBooks... just be careful because different stores call them different things. You can also read pretty much any DRM free ebook you can find. Either get a format the Sony reads or you can use a free tool called Calibre to convert it to a format the Sony will read.

Many authors sell their ebooks DRM free as does Webscriptions (if you are into SciFi). Also, pretty much any public domain ebook you want to read can be found in our own d/l section here.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:18 AM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Check out libraries too...many offer ebooks
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:44 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hya Jodi: Like you, I'm no technotop. So I'm sure you'll find that free Calibre software right up your street; it's very easy to use, efficient and flexible for your Sony. You can use it as the download destination for ebooks, automatically convert them to your preferred format, store them (and catalogue them) in your Calibre library, and then simply send then to your reader. Even I can handle it ... and that's saying something! Head to the top of this page, click on 'forums' and then scroll down until you come to 'Calibre'. Click and that and you'll find a link to the software download and useful tips and info. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 08:01 AM   #6
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
You can buy ebooks from Powell's Books, BooksOnBoard, eBooks.com, diesel-ebooks, Fictionwise; UK - Waterstone's, WHSmith, Borders.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
If you like romance:

AllRomanceEbooks.com
Loose-Id.com
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote