Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #91
Drik
Drik began at the beginning.

Device: hanlin V3
Fortunately, KP isn't available yet in Spain. Seeing so many problems, I lost my desire to buy it, at least for now.
Drik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #92
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykhe View Post
Keep in mind, though, that these discolored screens only really look that way without any ambient light and low PW light levels.

If you do not read in "person next to me will wake up if there is any light" scenarios but with some ambient light (which can still be low enough to make reading on the Kindle uncomfortable if it had no light) discolorations do not really exist.

On my Kindle PW it has a green shadow in the upper center at light level 5-10 and no ambient light. With my bed lamp on (but still not close to the Kindle - meaning I couldn't read well with a non-lit Kindle) and the PW on 18 however the screen is perfectly white.

The only thing which is still there are the shadows on the lower end of it, but the effect of these is so miniscule that I find people who complain about them considerably more irritating than the lights themselves.
You should probably quit reading the complaint-specific threads then, save yourself some stress.

Your first sentence is also incorrect, and possibly the opposite of what most people are experiencing. My (two) PWs with color blobs are the opposite of yours: they are more obviously apparent when using a high light level (or, more precisely, enough light for whatever room you're in). They are super-obvious at light level 24, similar to this Amazon customer image:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61sXC7P7cJL.jpg

I'm glad you're happy with yours, but I promise those of us with defective units do not have an agenda that involves irritating you.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #93
ultimatejimmy
Enthusiast
ultimatejimmy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite (coming soon)
I just saw a review on Amazon that shed some light on the fact that Amazon is working to fix the discoloration issue.

http://www.amazon.com/review/RFTP0IN...=&nodeID=&tag=
Quote:
Edit (Oct. 16) - I received a very nice phone call from an Amazon employee today. They offered to either let me return this unit, exchange it for another (which would be my fourth), or make a note on my account and in a few months once the issues are resolved, let me exchange it for a proper unit. She reminded me about the one year warranty, and clarified that it would be covered under the defect clause, anyway.
It sounds like they might be re-evaluating the production process and realize it might take a couple months.
ultimatejimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #94
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatejimmy View Post
I just saw a review on Amazon that shed some light on the fact that Amazon is working to fix the discoloration issue.

It sounds like they might be re-evaluating the production process and realize it might take a couple months.
Yes, someone also posted a chat on kindleboards that they had with an amazon rep where they said the same thing. I posted the chat on here somewhere in another thread. If anyone wants me to repost it here, just let me know.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #95
Psykhe
Connoisseur
Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4, KindlePW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
You should probably quit reading the complaint-specific threads then, save yourself some stress.

Your first sentence is also incorrect, and possibly the opposite of what most people are experiencing. My (two) PWs with color blobs are the opposite of yours: they are more obviously apparent when using a high light level (or, more precisely, enough light for whatever room you're in). They are super-obvious at light level 24, similar to this Amazon customer image:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61sXC7P7cJL.jpg

I'm glad you're happy with yours, but I promise those of us with defective units do not have an agenda that involves irritating you.
I think I made it quite specific who irritates me - and it isn't generally people who complain about the PW...

But, yes, there seem to be units with issues at high light levels (although your example picture is not good there, since that user gave no information about the kindles and its surroundings there - this one her is better: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51hG4ldM0zL.jpg ), but all other pictures I have seen from "colorful" kindles where from the low light/dark room variety.
Psykhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #96
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatejimmy View Post

This gets me really excited. It would be great if they could give us new units, though, when the time comes. But it's great either way. It would just be a bit great-er if they wre new.

Maybe THAT's what CS Andrew will tell me when he calls later this week.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #97
wystearya
Enthusiast
wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I left my review last night. I gave it 3 stars and mentioned I would have given 3.5 had it been an option.

I told about needing a replacement of my first PW due to the diagonal bands of light on the screen. And I did say that my replacement is much better, as it is.

But, since I know there have been issues with bad screens and bad replacements, I cautioned people to closely check out their screen since quality control seems to be lacking at this time.

I do hope Amazon will fix the problems soon. It's a shame to feel like your playing the lottery to get a good unit!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #98
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
To be honest I think there are just too many negative reviews for it to be just down to personal expectations. I've decided to cancel my pre-order and go with another front lit reader.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #99
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
For those, who have not yet ordered a PW. January, 2013, would probably be the best time to order it after all initial problems have been cleared.

For those, who have received two PW's already, if one has "defects" barely perceptible in one unit, the best bet is to keep that one and use it. They can always exchange it sometime in the next 12 months.

Some units, like mine, have no problems for ME but others here have looked at photos of my unit and said it has big defects. Thus, our own vision flaws or capabalities may influence our decision and we should each make our own decision and forget comments by others here.

Normal ambient light and the PW light levels at which one uses the PW also have an enormous influence on our judgement on whether to keep the unit or return it.

Another option is to order the Kindle Fire HD instead. I ordered the 32 Gb model which is due the end of next week. I'll be using my PW and the Fire HD.

As of now at the PW page on Amazon it shows 260 five star reviews which includes mine and 75 one star reviews which probably includes most of the complainers here. The number of one star reviews is large but not comparable to the number of five star reviews.

By the way, I just processed a different item back to Amazon. There is no need to call Customer Service if you want a refund. Just go to the order page of the item within 30 days, process the return and Amazon will send UPS to your house or office with a prepaid label to pick it up. Just enclose the Return Authorization and a copy of your Invoice.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-19-2012 at 03:33 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #100
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
To be honest I think there are just too many negative reviews for it to be just down to personal expectations. I've decided to cancel my pre-order and go with another front lit reader.
Yeah. I know people want to believe otherwise or believe 'nitpicking' is somehow a statistically significant driving force in review averages, but if that were true other extremely high-profile products like iPads wouldn't be rated so well (especially when so many people irrationally loathe Apple).
Old 10-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #101
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

iPad 5 ratings at Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Yeah. I know people want to believe otherwise or believe 'nitpicking' is somehow a statistically significant driving force in review averages, but if that were true other extremely high-profile products like iPads wouldn't be rated so well (especially when so many people irrationally loathe Apple).
I just checked the iPad 5 page at Amazon. It shows 271 five star ratings and 31 ONE STAR ratings.

That's not as many one star ratings as the Paperwhite but it still is a large number of detractors. Evidently, lots of folks find fault there as well.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #102
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Amazon Andrew called me back today, only to tell me that they are still working on a solution for me, and that he will call me back on Monday night. How strange. Maybe they are testing units by people before mailing them out? I asked him if Amazon is working on improving the manufacturing and QC process, but no comment there. So, I am completely in the dark, but trying to wait patiently. I wonder why i am the only one receiving this kind of phone calls. Don't they usually NOT call you, and if they do, arrange for an overnight delivery of new replacements?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #103
manou
Grand Seamstress
manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I just checked the iPad 5 page at Amazon. It shows 271 five star ratings and 31 ONE STAR ratings.

That's not as many one star ratings as the Paperwhite but it still is a large number of detractors. Evidently, lots of folks find fault there as well.
There is no such thing as the iPad 5, the last iPad is called the New iPad (aka the iPad 3)
manou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #104
Trauma Doll
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Amazon Andrew called me back today, only to tell me that they are still working on a solution for me, and that he will call me back on Monday night. How strange. Maybe they are testing units by people before mailing them out? I asked him if Amazon is working on improving the manufacturing and QC process, but no comment there. So, I am completely in the dark, but trying to wait patiently. I wonder why i am the only one receiving this kind of phone calls. Don't they usually NOT call you, and if they do, arrange for an overnight delivery of new replacements?
Yep, I was one of the lucky "send to Cupertino" guinea pigs, never heard another peep.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #105
sirmaru
Wizard

Apple iPad MD328LL/A (16GB, Wi-Fi, White) NEWEST MODEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by manou View Post
There is no such thing as the iPad 5, the last iPad is called the New iPad (aka the iPad 3)
The actual name is in the header. You're right, it was not iPad 5.

Here is the link to the votes:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MD328LL-...owViewpoints=1

The point was that every product, no matter how good, still has issues with some folks. The Paperwhite is no different.