Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-09-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
My DIY 950 Cover

I was feeling like getting a bit crafty tonight with my new 950 so started searching my shelves for the perfect hardback book to make into a cover. My reader currently has no cover since I currently have no additional money to spend on it and I hate carrying it around without some sort of cover.

Within 2 minutes of starting the search, I located a random journal bought from dollar general for $3 according to the cardboard bit attached to the front of it. It's pink and faux leather and is a temporary first attempt sort of fix. The faux leather is very thin so I do not think the button I sewed to the front will stay. I also glued the inside into the former journal backward so the back is pointing out and the bottom is a lot less clean and tidy then I would like :-( Well the whole thing needs help, but it'll do for now.

Still, here is iteration 1 of my DIY cover(I'll try again with spray glue and look through my fabric stash for a better quality outside. It does hold together really well. Since it was meant to be quick and dirty, I didn't bother with anything to hold the reader in the cover and with the side buttoned, I was able to shake it vigorously and the reader didn't even try to move within the cover. Here are a couple of pics. They are a bit dark since I forgot and left the flash off and didn't realize that until just now.

and

and
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:37 AM   #2
readergirl218
Enthusiast
readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 (white), Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300,
Wonderful job Anabolina. You should feel great that you have a personalized cover for your reader (and didn't spend and an arm and leg to do it).

Last edited by readergirl218; 06-09-2011 at 03:49 AM.
readergirl218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

lol, thanks readergirl, I count it as free since nothing had to be bought specifically for this project and eveything has been waiting around in my stash for a least a year. The next one is probably going to be a black moleskin if I can find the fabric. I wonder if using velcro to attach readers is a common practice with DIY covers? That would seem to be the easiest way to ensure the cover and reader 'stick' together.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
readergirl218
Enthusiast
readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 (white), Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300,
crafty ideas for ereader covers

Go to the website etsy.com and type search for ereader covers or ereader cases and you will see all sorts of crafty ideas. Unfortunately, I'm not crafty so I had to purchase a pre-made cover. Have a good day.
readergirl218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Most of us do convert the Oberon journals via velcro into covers.

You did a splendid job and I do like the fake croc in pink. Imagine the croc in Peter Pan would have been pink But then, it would have been a girlie croc and girlie crocs don't eat stinking pirates legs, or do they?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
anabolina
Groupie

Thanks Poppaea! Yes it is really girly, but despite having a ridiculous amount of fabric, I have no black I would be willing to use for this project(just bought some really nice summer suiting material, but it's spoken for). I took your advice readergirl(thanks!) and hit up etsy yesterday for some ideas. It seems the corner covers option is the most popular so I'll give that a shot with my 'from scratch' cover planned for this weekend.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
But then, it would have been a girlie croc and girlie crocs don't eat stinking pirates legs, or do they?
They most certainly do, especially if the pirates try to kick them.

I took the easy way out and bought a cover of fako leather on eBay. I have skin on the reader, and the cover as well, and it's all snugly safe now.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote