Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-10-2024, 06:07 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
... not only can Google kill all your gmail at a whim...
Yes, as I said, that's why I download and backup my inbox. That can be done without an email client. They are in a compressed format and can't be read as they are (you can open a new account and install them there), but I don't need that.

As to organizing my email, I don't do that. Too many. Search has always worked perfectly well for me.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 06:07 PM   #17
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The bulk of my email comes from the decade I volunteered at a non-kill cat shelter and was part of their mailing list. Lots and lots of cat photos, thousands of them
You could export the photos, compress them, name them by date, and then delete the attachments to shrink your inbox, if you so desire. Of course, that's a lot more work, but you'll be glad you did it if Google ever decides to delete your account on a whim.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2024, 06:13 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You could export the photos, compress them, name them by date, and then delete the attachments to shrink your inbox, if you so desire. Of course, that's a lot more work, but you'll be glad you did it if Google ever decides to delete your account on a whim.
But the information about them that was in the message will be lost. I'd have no idea what most of those photos are about, without reading the message they were attached to.

As to Google killing my account, for the nth time, I DOWNLOAD AND BACKUP ALL MY EMAIL. I don't need an email client for this.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:19 PM   #19
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

I wonder if it's possible to install an email client so that the data will be on an external drive? I could try it that way, as I don't have enough space on my local drive.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:34 PM   #20
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
I wonder if it's possible to install an email client so that the data will be on an external drive? I could try it that way, as I don't have enough space on my local drive.
Thunderbird Portable ought to work for that.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2024, 06:34 PM   #21
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Thunderbird Portable ought to work for that.
Thanks, I'll look it up.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:35 PM   #22
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I added a link my post.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 06:40 PM   #23
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I added a link my post.
Many thanks! Yep, I'll definitely try it. One more way to backup your data is always good.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:12 PM   #24
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But the information about them that was in the message will be lost.
I said to delete the attachments, not the messages. By dating the photos, you'll be able to associate an external image with the e-mail it came from, and the mailbox itself will be small because it's only text now.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:55 PM   #25
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I said to delete the attachments, not the messages. By dating the photos, you'll be able to associate an external image with the e-mail it came from, and the mailbox itself will be small because it's only text now.
That might work with a few hundred photos; with thousands of them it would be far too clumsy and slow when you want to look something up in your old messages (as I often do). Not to mention I'd probably be dead before I managed to finish such a task.

Edit: I just counted all my emails with photos attached; there are 9844 of them.

Last edited by Sirtel; 04-10-2024 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:25 PM   #26
Aleron Ives
Wizard

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you!

Copying the e-mails to an external drive is probably the better option, though. n.n
Old 04-11-2024, 07:13 AM   #27
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Ordinary Thunderbird can use an external, but local drive. You can edit the "mailbox"/Local Folders location. Just don't run it whan the drive isn't plugged in.

I've actually migrated Thunderbird from XP, to Win7, to Linux and then files on a different drive, just by copy and edit. My Thunderbird is on SSD and the user files are on an HDD.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 06:30 PM   #28
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I started wit Eudora 1 (paid) and finally retired 7 (paid) and switched to Pandora because Edora has been stale (no SSL, Multi character support) for years.

The server only keeps mail until my 'home' system downloads it. (most ISP do not back up user account user data)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 05:26 AM   #29
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I dropped Eudora maybe 20+ years ago due to lack of character set support.

I've never heard of an ISP or mail provider that claimed to back up user data. Nor hosting either. It's an extra on my current hosting.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 12:10 AM   #30
chrhup
chrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
With third party cookies on the way out as a means of tracking users many websites are requiring that a free account be created associated with a verified email address so that advertisers can track people across sites.

Advertisers have become wise to the sites offering temporary email addresses and may stop paying the websites hosting their ads for those impressions. That will eventually lead to those email addresses being disallowed for free accounts. It is going to become more difficult to remain anonymous.
This change had nothing to do with ad revenue. It was done because too many bots were hitting my site, at far too fast a rate, and it was causing things to run unacceptably slow. At times, the bots were so aggressive that they took down the entire site.

I noticed this happening more-and-more, so my best option was to prevent anonymous users from running filters, which can be very database intensive on my site.

I have never sold any email addresses from this site, and have no intentions of ever doing so.
chrhup is offline   Reply With Quote