Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Sony PSP Digital Reader Service

Just saw this and thought it might be of interest to some of you. Starting in December, you'll be able to download comics to your PSP. Now, what's interesting to me is the end of the article: "The company further teased that the Digital Reader functionality will eventually extend beyond comics. Nothing else was said, but digital books seem rather obvious." I could imagine some people using their PSPs as ebook readers. After all, the screen is fairly comparable to an iPhone resolution-wise. And integration with the Sony eBookstore would make perfect sense. Also IIRC, there were some mentions from Sony last month that they were shuffling around some divisions, and that they were aiming for better integration between the Vaio, Playstation, and Reader lines. This looks like it's one of the first steps in making that integration a reality.

Sony via ShackNews

Last edited by Nate the great; 08-18-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: added a second source
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Anything to get people reading more. Unfortunately, I don't think this will fare well.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Now we know what will happen to all those old LRX eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Actually, the PSP isn't a bad eReader. A former co-worker of mine had one and it worked quite well.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Actually, the PSP isn't a bad eReader. A former co-worker of mine had one and it worked quite well.
I've also read quite a few books on the PSP in my times.

using the Homebrew Application Bookr
or using one of the many txt to jpg programs, and just reading the images on it.

(and now you can use the web browser in offline mode and read a file on the memory card)
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Assuming it features support for ePUB and not LRX, I'm all for it.

Prior to getting an iPhone, I used Bookr for reading PDF files. I've found the PSP's screen to be nicer to read on than the iPhone. However, while Bookr's interface is pretty polished, it just wasn't designed with library management in mind. I've got a ton of ebooks and fanfics on my memory stick and it's hard to choose reading material since you don't get the additional metadata and covers you would with Stanza. Not to mention it was much more time-consuming to prepare material for Bookr. I have a Firefox Portable and CutePDF installation dedicated to printing HTML to PDF. Yes, the built-in browser can handle native HTML but I've tested various methods of reading on the PSP and so far, Bookr suits me the most. A custom-made PDF just looks so much nicer than plain text files. Not to mention navigation in Bookr is much easier than scrolling with the Netfront browser.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:18 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I'm hoping the fact that Sony is calling it _Digital_Reader_ is a sign that it will be a real ebook reader (epub, anyone?).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Nate, thanks for the proper Sony link up there.

And something else to keep in mind is that this "Reader" will launch at about the same time that Sony transfers the eBookstore over to ePub. So it wouldn't surprise me that at some point after that transition they add ePub support (and ADE?) to the PSP, and give you the ability to purchase books straight from the PSP over WiFi. Of course, that's purely my own speculation on the situation, and I've been known to be way off base before. But still, it would be pretty cool.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:35 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Well, shoot.

The ebook reader people we know at Sony don't have any information. I was hoping for Epub, and that's not a good sign, IMO.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:32 PM   #10
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Quote:
Is there any similar collaboration going on with the Sony Reader team?
There was a reorganization that occurred at Sony where PlayStation, VAIO, Walkman, and Reader came under the same electronics group. As such, with those categories being put together under one umbrella we need to collaborate. I also see a better integration of Reader with VAIO products
This was from an interview that a Sony VP for the division that includes PlayStation, VAIO, and Reader did with Laptop Mag back in July:
http://blog.laptopmag.com/sony-promi...support-coming

This may be one of the first signs of this new collaboration.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:32 PM   #11
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well since the PSP can buy from the PSN store then I see no reason why the PSN store on the PSP would'nt have an ebook area, makes sense for sony to extend sales to as many devices as possible. And PSP's are a different niche so it should'nt cut into Reader sales.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:49 AM   #12
markbond1007
Connoisseur
markbond1007 doesn't littermarkbond1007 doesn't litter

Device: CyBook Gen3, Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Assuming it features support for ePUB and not LRX, I'm all for it.

Prior to getting an iPhone, I used Bookr for reading PDF files. I've found the PSP's screen to be nicer to read on than the iPhone. However, while Bookr's interface is pretty polished, it just wasn't designed with library management in mind. I've got a ton of ebooks and fanfics on my memory stick and it's hard to choose reading material since you don't get the additional metadata and covers you would with Stanza. Not to mention it was much more time-consuming to prepare material for Bookr. I have a Firefox Portable and CutePDF installation dedicated to printing HTML to PDF. Yes, the built-in browser can handle native HTML but I've tested various methods of reading on the PSP and so far, Bookr suits me the most. A custom-made PDF just looks so much nicer than plain text files. Not to mention navigation in Bookr is much easier than scrolling with the Netfront browser.
Before I got my CyBook I was using my PSP for reading, I had everything converted to HTML and I wrote a script that created an index file (basically I could choose by author or by book, with book covers), that index file was then updated on the PSP and bookmarked there as well, so all I needed to read was open up the internal browser and then open the bookmarks and find the index.

Mark
markbond1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:43 AM   #13
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm not really a video game player, so my perspective on this is probably not very typical, but all in all, the PSP I got was a real disappointment for me. It's hard to find cheap and fun simple games that I can just pick up and play, the battery life is not great, the user interface is not real pleasant, the screen is pretty small for video games, the controller doesn't always react consistently, and the disk is constantly spinning even within a single game so there's a lot of waiting.

However, if I can read for at least a few hours a day on a PSP (which is probably the most I will have time to read now even on a day of heavy reading), and if the screen doesn't cause too much eye strain, it might be fun to read on the device. For true gamers that carry around a PSP, it might be really nice to be able to read on it. The screen has to be much better for reading than almost any phone.

But eventually, I'd like to see e-book reading as a default generic function included with any mobile electronic device with a screen. Just like cell phones always have an alarm clock and a camera now by default.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #14
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
PSP screen too small? It has one of the largest screens of all mobile gaming devices, past and present.

However, a PSP only interests me for media, and not gaming, but for that I already have my N800.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:23 AM   #15
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
seems like a useful addition, with a colour screen it could even be an easier way for me to read pdf files !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote