Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-29-2018, 07:35 PM   #1
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Glowlight Plus sideloading fails a lot

I have 507 epub books in my Dropbox ebooks folder. This weekend I decided to copy them to my Glowlight Plus. I have them on my Glowlight 3 already. I copied them all and ended up with no books at all.

I deleted them (via Windows Explorer) and reset the Glowlight Plus to factory defaults, got it registered and tried again. Same result.

I deleted them again and this time copied about 40 books. 26 of them were on the device although I could see them all, as before, in Windows Explorer.

I again deleted them all and copied 10 books. Then 10 more. Then on until all 507 books had been copied. I carefully waited each time till it told me the new books were there before I sent 10 more. Somehow this time it lost 3 books and I decided to settle for that.

I'm not sure if I've done this before with the Glowlight Plus but I think I probably have. If I'd had a problem like this I'm sure I'd have remembered it so either I haven't done it or it worked.

Oh I forgot to mention that after sending over the 507 files the first time I waited overnight to see if it was something comparable to the Kindle indexing problem. That didn't help.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:02 PM   #2
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I have 507 epub books in my Dropbox ebooks folder. This weekend I decided to copy them to my Glowlight Plus. I have them on my Glowlight 3 already. I copied them all and ended up with no books at all.

I deleted them (via Windows Explorer) and reset the Glowlight Plus to factory defaults, got it registered and tried again. Same result.

I deleted them again and this time copied about 40 books. 26 of them were on the device although I could see them all, as before, in Windows Explorer.

I again deleted them all and copied 10 books. Then 10 more. Then on until all 507 books had been copied. I carefully waited each time till it told me the new books were there before I sent 10 more. Somehow this time it lost 3 books and I decided to settle for that.

I'm not sure if I've done this before with the Glowlight Plus but I think I probably have. If I'd had a problem like this I'm sure I'd have remembered it so either I haven't done it or it worked.

Oh I forgot to mention that after sending over the 507 files the first time I waited overnight to see if it was something comparable to the Kindle indexing problem. That didn't help.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Barry
I don't have a Glowlight Plus, but several Simple Touch and Glowlight models. One thing to be aware of: be careful to eject the NOOK properly. And maybe try waiting a few minutes after ejecting before unplugging. Perhaps watch for the NOOK to back to it's sleep screen.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2018, 11:55 PM   #3
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
I have a Glowlight 3 (and a Mac). I found the only way to be sure files will show up in the Nook is to unmount the Nook and then either go away for a few hours, or to shut down the Mac. I looked at the "About This Mac/More Info/USB" and found the Mac takes forever to detect removal of the Nook properly.

But what's maddening is the Nook files seem fragile. My sideloaded books show up as 'files" rather than as "books" -- and aren't stable. Sometimes they're corrupt and the Nook tells me to erase all USB transferred files. Often, a message along the lines of "This book cannot be opened ... it will be downloaded again later" shows up. Dammit, I never "downloaded" it in the first place.

Oh, and I had three "shelves" for books by single authors. They've all disappeared.

And just tonight, I went to erase one single sideloaded book I'd finished reading, got the usual multiple screen blink/inversions, and -- Lo! -- all my "files" _except_ the one I was deleting had disappeared. Hello-o-o programmers, you got a bit flipped somehow here?

Rebooted and all the files' names came back -- but none of them can be opened. "Cannot open this book .... will be re-downloaded later."

Dagfnabbit.

This keeps happening. Is it a known OS bug, or is it defective hardware?

Mounting the Nook on the Mac desktop with USB, I can see all the books I expect to be there, under /Nook/MyFiles/Books/ -- file sizes look correct.

Heck, at least with my Clie SJ30, I can force the library to rebuild itself when it gets confused.

Is there any way to make the Nook discover that it has files it's forgotten??

Last edited by hank; 01-30-2018 at 12:02 AM. Reason: rant on .... rant off
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:45 AM   #4
hank
Dinosaur

PS, yeah, I found the BN.com advice to either archive and unarchive problem files, or upload to cloud and download again -- neither of those makes the sideloaded books readable. And I found mention of a refresh the library feature -- click a 2-arrows-circling icon -- it does nothing. And I checked 'my library' at bn.com and it has nothing in it at all.

Back to the Clie SJ30 for reading tonight. Sigh.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:55 AM   #5
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Hank,

Sorry your NOOK has been giving you problems, although I'm glad you shared the information. I use a PC and have had similar frustrations. Since you're using a MAC it strongly suggests the NOOK is the problem. There is a separate thread here on the NOOK board talking about the shelves disappearing. I have not been able to get any solid information from B&N customer service.

If you notice anything else, please post it. Over time we might be able to figure out what's going on.
Advert
Old 01-30-2018, 01:20 PM   #6
hank
Dinosaur

Arrrrgh.
Re-sideloaded my files.
Waited an hour after ejecting the Nook.
Verified the Mac no longer sees the Nook as a mounted volume.
Unplugged the USB cable.

And "erase all USB Files" pops up telling me the files are corrupt.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:23 PM   #7
hank
Dinosaur

And after erasing all the USB files, they still appear on the Nook but "cannot read ... will be downloaded later"

I think the Nook programmers have really gotten confused about how to manage anything not actually purchased. And the 2 books I paid BN for also don't show up.

The Nook -- a portable Point of Sale device for managing transferring your funds to BN.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:56 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
I don't have a Glowlight Plus, but several Simple Touch and Glowlight models. One thing to be aware of: be careful to eject the NOOK properly. And maybe try waiting a few minutes after ejecting before unplugging. Perhaps watch for the NOOK to back to it's sleep screen.
You can't eject the Glowlight Plus. It connects as an MTP device.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:01 PM   #9
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
Arrrrgh.
Re-sideloaded my files.
Waited an hour after ejecting the Nook.
Verified the Mac no longer sees the Nook as a mounted volume.
Unplugged the USB cable.

And "erase all USB Files" pops up telling me the files are corrupt.
When all else fails, erase and re-register the device.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:56 PM   #10
hank
Dinosaur

After some hours, all the sideloaded books ("files") are available again.

So is BN actually moving the files to their cloud, and "downloading" them again?
I'm a little concerned about where the files are kept -- are they actually stored on the Nook?
(GL3)
Old 01-31-2018, 07:25 AM   #11
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:

So is BN actually moving the files to their cloud, and "downloading" them again?
I'm a little concerned about where the files are kept -- are they actually stored on the Nook?
(GL3)
I do not think your side loaded material is uploaded to the cloud. Pretty sure it's on the device.

One thing I've noticed: after losing the shelves I cannot re-create a shelf with the same name as one of the disappeared shelves until the device has been synched (the semi-circle arrows). Synching the device requires the wi-fi to be connected. Part of the synching process seems to clear the device's memory (cache?). That probably made your previously side-loaded material visible again.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:23 PM   #12
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i have never had this problem with the glowlight plus. however, i always sideload files that reside on the local computer or a local file server, never from a source on a cloud drive. and i've never tried to upload more than 10 files at a time.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:48 AM   #13
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I had the same issue then I read online you have to drop them into your "my Files" folder and it worked!
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #14
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:

(GL3)

Only the books bought at B&N are stored on the cloud. Not your side loaded items from other sources.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:37 PM   #15
hank
Dinosaur

That's what I thought. But I can't convince my Glowlight3 that's how it should work.

I've purchased 2 books from BN. One is available, the other is not shown in BN's website and not found on the Nook either. Neither book is in the Nook directory when I look at the directory on the Mac desktop via USB.

The Nook tells me a sideloaded book is unavailable and will be downloaded again -- as though it had been purchased.