Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-13-2017, 05:18 PM   #1
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
"This certificate is not from a trusted authority"

I guess this is related to the Reader running Android 2.3 which may be missing some root certificates.

https://knowledge.geotrust.com/suppo...ewlocale=en_US

Does anybody have a workaround?

It renders the browser and Kobo Bookstore pretty much unusable.

gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:15 AM   #2
Dutchbook
Zealot
Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-RP1
It has been a couple of years since I used Android, but can’t you allow the installation of unsigned apps through Settings -> Security?
Dutchbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2017, 06:33 AM   #3
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is nothing to do with apps AFAIK. You can't install apps on this reader (it cannot be jailkbroken either)

This message is presented when browsing the web or bookstore. Apparently some website assets are on servers that it thinks there's a problem with.

I reported to Kobo, they are looking into it.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
That started happening a few years ago on the PRS-T1 with the Overdrive library. I found if I clicked "Continue" it would go on into the library.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:00 PM   #5
gingerbeardman
Zealot

You may be onto something there, I reset my device a week or so ago which is when these really hit me hard. I'm dismissing each one with Continue and it seems that they do appear less frequently.

The Kobo Bookstore search is broken (unable to set price, filter just free books) but I'm not sure this is related.

Hopefully the fix is Kobo's to do, as we all know that likelihood of a Sony firmware update is neigh on zero. I wonder if they'd open source their software?
Advert
Old 11-14-2017, 01:49 PM   #6
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't tried to use the Kobo store on my T3. I was able to download an Overdrive library book recently on the T3, but I see you are in the UK so you probably don't have the same library system.

I usually browse and download books from stores on my PC because it's faster and easier, then sync them to my reader. However, it would be good to be able to buy from the reader itself if I were away from home on vacation or something. I hope Kobo will be able to get it working.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:07 PM   #7
gingerbeardman
Zealot

My local library uses BorrowBox, which downloads OK and I didn't see any errors. Which I think means that yes the Kobo Store must be doing something funky.

A city a couple of hours away from me has Overdrive so I'm going to become a member there when I next visit.

FWIW I bought my PRS-T3 brand new unused for £28 last week.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:59 PM   #8
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
That's true. Without an official firmware update that will become more common.

If you continue that exception is added and next time it won't appear. If you reset your reader you have to start doing it all over again.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:48 AM   #9
gingerbeardman
Zealot

That's really interesting and probably does explain it.

Kobo have reproduced the problem and are seeing if they can solve it at least for their store.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #10
4691mls
Wizard

I'm somewhat surprised they are actually looking into it and didn't just tell you to buy a new Kobo reader. Hope they can get it working.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:06 PM   #11
gingerbeardman
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I'm somewhat surprised they are actually looking into it and didn't just tell you to buy a new Kobo reader. Hope they can get it working.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 11-22-2017, 08:27 AM   #12
4691mls
Wizard

Have you heard anything further from Kobo?
Old 11-22-2017, 08:54 AM   #13
gingerbeardman
Zealot

No, they said they'd get in touch when they have more.

But I've just asked them for an update regardless.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:22 PM   #14
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Sometimes the problem is caused by the date being incorrect on the device. If the wrong date is outside the range of the certificates, then they don't get used. Could it be that the date became wrong when you reset the device?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:52 PM   #15
gingerbeardman
Zealot

I thought that but I checked, and on resetting it also prompted me to enter time and date.

My hunch is that the version of Android it runs is so old, and abandoned, that it doesn't have the required root certificates.

Why the Kobo store search is not working could perhaps be unrelated.