Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #1
ts0329
ts0329 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Chapter numbers / titles in ToC

Hello forum,

I'm converting a .docx document into ePub. In the original Word doc, chapter headings consist of a chapter number followed by a chapter title, with a line break in between. For example, a new chapter might start:

"Chapter 1
Title of New Chapter"

I'm using a Heading 2 style for all these chapter headings. When I convert the ebook to ePub, then the Table of Contents contains two entries for each chapter: the chapter number and the chapter title. How can I make these chapter headings a single item in the ToC while keeping the format of "chapter number /line_break/ chapter title?"

Many thanks,

T
ts0329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Is each line wrapped in a separate header tag?

Use this instead:
Code:
<h2>Chapter 1<br/>
Title of New Chapter</h2>
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2016, 10:57 PM   #3
ts0329

I'm not sure -- I'm editing via the Styles options on Word, not using HTML.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:07 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Dont style the second paragraph as Heading 2. Instead create a new style that is a clone of Heading 2 but named something else, like sub-heading.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:13 PM   #5
ts0329

That worked! Thanks a lot. Currently, the chapter number ("Header 2" style) has a bigger font than the chapter title (clone of Header 2), even though in Word they both have the same font size as the text itself. Is there a way to keep the same font size for the chapter number in the ePub version?

Many thanks again,.

T
Advert

Tags
chapter headings, chapter titles, table of contents