Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-18-2014, 12:45 AM   #1
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
B&N removed download option on all books in "My Nook" library

I have a Sony, Kobo, and Nexus tablet, but not a Nook. I have purchased books from B&N in the past (mostly due to some good sale prices) and they have the books I purchased from Fictionwise there (I think it was Fictionwise. It was one of the multitude of now closed stores anyway).

It seems they have suddenly removed the "download" option from all of the books in my library. Is this just a glitch or what?

More details: The Digital Reader

[ADDITIONS by pdurrant]

Pertinent informantion from later posts in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
Just tweeted my annoyance to @NOOK_Care, and this is their reply:

"The ability to sideload NOOK purchased content has been discontinued. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

So I guess the ability to download to your computer is gone for good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Here is part of the email I got back from them:

Quote:
Dear Customer,

Greetings from Barnes and Noble!

Thank you for contacting us. I'm sorry to learn that the download option on your books are missing.

On behalf of Barnes & Noble, please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We’re sorry, but the ability to sideload NOOK purchased content has been discontinued. If you are attempting to unlock a sideloaded file, you will not be able to do so. We apologize for any inconvenience. However, your NOOK purchases are available for re-download from the NOOK cloud, and you may continue to sideload any other supported file format.

I hope that I was able to address your concern accordingly. It is my great honor and privilege to assist you with this concern.

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-19-2014 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Added details from thread
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:50 AM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Perhaps B&N is throwing a tantrum because Amazon announced new eReaders?

It's not just you, I have no download buttons on my ebooks either.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #3
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I only see the download option for books that can't be viewed in the nook for web display. I will be calling B&N customer service to complain, I need to be able to download so that I can sideload the 5600 books I have in my B&N library to a microSD card. They don't all fit on a Nook, which is why I won't by the newest eink Nook.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:08 AM   #4
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I sent them an email. But who know if I will get a response.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:21 AM   #5
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
No download option, then no business from me and I will want a refund for all of my ebooks.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 01:24 AM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
If you have a book you REALLY want to read tonight and you use Firefox, you can add the "Greasemonkey" add-on, then choose the "BN-Dload20121119" script. It add an "alternative download" link at the end of the BN list of links.

I can't remember what prompted me to install it, but I've used it off and on, and I tested it with a book just now to confirm it still works, despite all the Download buttons being missing.

ETA: Also, I opened up my Nook for PC program (and I'll admit, it's probably an older one - I can't figure out how to tell what the version is) and it's busily downloading the books I've bought since the last time I opened it. So that's another way to get your downloads.

ETA-2: I remembered why I installed it - it allows you to download books from the Archive, without moving them back to active. Just a time saver.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 09-18-2014 at 01:37 AM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:33 AM   #7
library addict
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for the tip, FizzyWater. There wasn't a book I needed to download to read right away. I was looking at something else on their site and just happened to sign into my B&N account. I don't shop there all that often. There was a book I had purchased that I didn't like and never plan to read again, so I decided to see if I could delete it. That's when I noticed the download option was missing. I thought it was just for the one book at first, but when I saw it was all of them I kind of freaked.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:38 AM   #8
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, if they were to switch to cloud-only access, that would be the last time I bought a B&N ebook - that's for sure!
Old 09-18-2014, 02:14 AM   #9
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Hmmm ... it was there yesterday. I bought a book yesterday and I did notice that the Download option had moved from the larger type first row of options ("Read Instantly," etc.) the the smaller print options in the lower row ("Write a Review," etc.). It had to have happened in the last 24 hours.

I assume (he said, optimistically) that it will still download to the Android app on my tablet, like the Asimov's and Analog magazines. And, fortunately, I have Dropbox on my tablet and on my netbook, so I should be able to move it that way.

It's worth noting that I have not updated the Nook app. The most recent update wanted drastically increased permissions.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:35 AM   #10
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
The Nook for PC hasn't been updated since 2011 and isn't highlighted on their website.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:35 AM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
If you have a book you REALLY want to read tonight and you use Firefox, you can add the "Greasemonkey" add-on, then choose the "BN-Dload20121119" script. It add an "alternative download" link at the end of the BN list of links.

I can't remember what prompted me to install it, but I've used it off and on, and I tested it with a book just now to confirm it still works, despite all the Download buttons being missing.

ETA: Also, I opened up my Nook for PC program (and I'll admit, it's probably an older one - I can't figure out how to tell what the version is) and it's busily downloading the books I've bought since the last time I opened it. So that's another way to get your downloads.

ETA-2: I remembered why I installed it - it allows you to download books from the Archive, without moving them back to active. Just a time saver.
Where would someone find the BN-Dload20121119 script? I could find greasemonkey ok but after that I got lost.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:53 AM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I've installed Greasemonkey but I don't know where to find this script. Google doesn't seem to be my friend here. I didn't know Barnes & Noble had done this. Apparently they delight in finding ways to drive me to Amazon.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:54 AM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Where would someone find the BN-Dload20121119 script? I could find greasemonkey ok but after that I got lost.
Same situation I'm in.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:57 AM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I did have more luck with nook for pc. The version they mention from 2011 isn't the one that downloaded but it does still work for downloading books. At least it was a minute or so back.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:03 AM   #15
FizzyWater

I'll look and see - obviously I installed it some time ago...

ETA: I found this instruction, but I'm having trouble opening the home page for this link:

Code:
This is from GitHub:
https://github.com/psyrendust/dedrm-ebook-tools/blob/master/Other_Tools/B_and_N_Download_Helper/BN-Dload.user_ReadMe.txt
Go to http://userscripts.org/scripts/source/152985.user.js
The name of the script shows as I'd listed it in the Add-ons listing, but apparently the filename is actually 152985.user.js. I found that file on my computer. If you're interested, I could save it as a text file and PM it. I don't know if I'd be allowed to post the actual code here (willing to do so, if it's okay).

ETA-2: I found a comment on the Greasemonkey page that the userscripts.org site is defunct.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 09-18-2014 at 03:15 AM.