Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
KenMatsu
KenMatsu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thumbs up Three little feature requests.

1. CBZ editing
.epub -files can be edited: explode -> edit -> repackage

.cbz -files should have the same functionality. They are afterall just imagefiles that are zipped. I'd need this because Calibre sorts images differently than my previous program (ComicRack).

It's somewhat annoying to have the cover-image not to appear, because it's written in smallcase characters.

2. Page count
This should be easy to implement, atleast for the .cbz's. I have no idea how the other filetypes work so this may not be that easy afterall.

3. Published date
I have several books that have a known year, but month is unknown and vice versa.
At the moment I write the known data and add unk_month or unk_year accordingly.
In my opinion, there should be blank values available for month and date.

I've been using this great program for three months now! I don't have any portable devices, but finally I have a program that organizes my books in Linux

Last edited by KenMatsu; 07-17-2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: added the numbers for 2. and 3. (and this text)
KenMatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Epub files can already be edited in calibre.

There is already a plugin for page count, though I don't know if it works with .cbz's -- it does, with epubs.

All of calibre's date fields allow you to pick day, month, and year, so I'm not sure why you think you can't?
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenMatsu View Post
Published date
I have several books that have a known year, but month is unknown and vice versa.
At the moment I write the known data and add unk_month or unk_year accordingly.
In my opinion, there should be blank values available for month and date.

I've been using this great program for three months now! I don't have any portable devices, but finally I have a program that organizes my books in Linux
"Unknown Month", ("Unknown_day",) "Unknown_Year" are not Valid Date types

Note that Calibre can perform 'date arithmetic' searches on date (field type) values

1/1/101 (localized) is a assigned as a 'Unknown Date' marker.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
KenMatsu
KenMatsu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Epub files can already be edited in calibre.
*sigh* this _is_ what I stated. I requested similar feature to handle .cbz -files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
"Unknown Month", ("Unknown_day",) "Unknown_Year" are not Valid Date types
Well they should be. I have several books that have known year, but no month anywhere.
What's the official way to deal with these kind of issues?

I mean, I can't just tag them 1/1/101, for I do know the year (or month in some cases)

Why not include (day:0,) month:0 and year:0 values? and then omit them in those arithmetic searches (if they bother)?

atm, I must add a false month, which is not accurate at all (and I like accuracy ).
KenMatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenMatsu View Post
*sigh* this _is_ what I stated. I requested similar feature to handle .cbz -files.

Well they should be. I have several books that have known year, but no month anywhere.
What's the official way to deal with these kind of issues?

I mean, I can't just tag them 1/1/101, for I do know the year (or month in some cases)

Why not include (day:0,) month:0 and year:0 values? and then omit them in those arithmetic searches (if they bother)?

atm, I must add a false month, which is not accurate at all (and I like accuracy ).
Calibre is built upon standard tools. Thedevelopers don't have to wory about dealing with non-standard when writing code in other places.
Dates follow date rules
Strings follow string rules.

a 1/1/YYYY is your best choice when only the Year is known.
Setting the day to 1 when only Month of a year is Known.

the 1/1/101 is = to the default(Unknown/not set)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Just pick a random month.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote