Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2021, 04:00 AM   #1
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Change bookcover?

As the title suggests, is it possible to change the bookcover on a book that's been downloaded directly to the reader from Kobo with Calibre?
The original cover is red so it's almost invisible on my Aura One.
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:26 AM   #2
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess not.
Advert
Old 01-17-2021, 01:18 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Edit in Calibre. You can open an external editor. Then update or replace.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:07 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@Number9: You can do it. But, you need to know the name of the cover image files and the location to put it. And it might get replaced the next time you do a sync. Or at some time later depending on what is being done during a sync.

The upload covers function in my Kobo Utilities plugin for calibre can do this. It does work, but because of the possibility that the next sync could replace it, I never bother. If the cover that came from Kobo bugged me that much, I would sideload the book and read it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:39 AM   #5
Number9
Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Edit in Calibre. You can open an external editor. Then update or replace.
I have no idea how to open an external editor, I'm afraid.
Advert
Old 01-18-2021, 02:41 AM   #6
Number9
Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@Number9: You can do it. But, you need to know the name of the cover image files and the location to put it. And it might get replaced the next time you do a sync. Or at some time later depending on what is being done during a sync.

The upload covers function in my Kobo Utilities plugin for calibre can do this. It does work, but because of the possibility that the next sync could replace it, I never bother. If the cover that came from Kobo bugged me that much, I would sideload the book and read it.
Thanks, but when I look at the book in Calibre with my Kobo plugged in, there is no option to upload an image on the unit. Only in the library.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:07 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number9 View Post
Thanks, but when I look at the book in Calibre with my Kobo plugged in, there is no option to upload an image on the unit. Only in the library.
Do you have the Kobo Utilities plugin installed? That has function to send the current cover in the library to the device.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:54 AM   #8
Number9
Dude

Quote:
Do you have the Kobo Utilities plugin installed? That has function to send the current cover in the library to the device.
I don't know if I'm slow or if this is to hightech for me, but am I supposed to put the cover I want in the Library section of Calibre and then just upload it?
Old 01-18-2021, 08:10 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't know if I'm slow or if this is to hightech for me, but am I supposed to put the cover I want in the Library section of Calibre and then just upload it?
Whatever is the cover that calibre shows in the library will be the one that is updated. If you don't like the cover on the device, then update the cover that calibre has and then upload it.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:29 AM   #10
Number9
Dude

Quote:
Whatever is the cover that calibre shows in the library will be the one that is updated. If you don't like the cover on the device, then update the cover that calibre has and then upload it.
I think I'm beginning to understand! I need to have the same book but with a cover I like in the Calibre Library as the one downloaded to the device, right? But the thing is that I only have the downloaded in my Kobo. And I can't download it to my computer either, as I get a message saying that
Licence is aready fullfilled by another user. So I only have the copy that's in the device.

Edit, it worked now! I had another version of the book and voila!
Thank you for your help!

Last edited by Number9; 01-18-2021 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:21 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And never buy books direct to a device. Always download to laptop and transfer via USB, though if there is DRM, read up about Apprentice Alf as mostly Calibre won't work with DRM otherwise.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:46 PM   #12
Number9
Dude

Quote:
And never buy books direct to a device. Always download to laptop and transfer via USB, though if there is DRM, read up about Apprentice Alf as mostly Calibre won't work with DRM otherwise.
Yeah, I know. I just forgot to do it with this particular book. Thank you. 😊
Old 01-18-2021, 05:27 PM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I didn't mean to sound preachy. It was a general musing to the aether.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:14 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I didn't mean to sound preachy. It was a general musing to the aether.
Actually, the real problem is that you are wrong. There is no reason not to buy books from Kobo on the device. Except that it is a bit clumsy. You can still download the book from the library and do whatever you want with it later. I don't do it very often, but it works. If the urge takes you to read a particular book, there is no reason not to do it.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:18 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think I'm beginning to understand! I need to have the same book but with a cover I like in the Calibre Library as the one downloaded to the device, right? But the thing is that I only have the downloaded in my Kobo.
You can always add an empty book to calibre. This has the details of the book without an actual book file. I do this when I borrow a book from the library track what I have read.
Quote:
And I can't download it to my computer either, as I get a message saying that
Licence is aready fullfilled by another user. So I only have the copy that's in the device.
You might want to look into that. That implies either someone else is downloading these books, or you have downloaded it with a different Adobe account. In either case, you might want to solve it.