Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
jmawhorter
jmawhorter began at the beginning.

Device: none
Pocketbook manufacturing conditions

Does anyone know where Pocketbooks are manufactured and what type of working conditions they are manufactured under? I'm very hesitant to buy electronic products these days knowing what kind of abusive situations some products are made under. I've emailed Pocketbook USA but so far no response.
jmawhorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
The new products will be built by Foxconn. Current PocketBook models, including the 360 which will continue with the new models, are manufactured by Netronix in Taiwan
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
jmawhorter

I know Netronix headquarters are in Taiwan, but are you sure they manufacture in Taiwan?

Foxconn is also a Taiwanese company but almost all their manufacturing is done in China because wages and working standards are lower.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
jmawhorter

accidental duplicate

Last edited by jmawhorter; 08-26-2010 at 09:08 PM. Reason: accidental dup
Old 08-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmawhorter View Post
are you sure they manufacture in Taiwan.
yes

Quote:
Foxconn is also a Taiwanese company but almost all their manufacturing is done in China because wages and working standards are lower.
True, but wages and working conditions on Foxconn, compared with all other manufacturers in China, the best. The queue at one job is 10 people per workstation.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 02:21 AM   #6
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Does anyone know where Pocketbooks are manufactured and what type of working conditions they are manufactured under? I'm very hesitant to buy electronic products these days knowing what kind of abusive situations some products are made under. I've emailed Pocketbook USA but so far no response.
Sorry to say but if you worry about working conditions you shouldn't buy most electronic products since they are mostly manufactured in asia. No apple or ibm or Fusi or hp or whatever.

You shouldn't buy most clothes. Most of them are also manufactured in asia.

You shouldn't buy most toys as mayn of them are also manufactured in asia.

And there are many other things too. Every thought about how diamonds are scratched from earth in africa or some metals ? Really bad working conditions.

Base problem is that "The Market" requires low prices as customers are not willing to pay high prices when there are companies offering the same product for less. And when it comes to prices you can't beat the east.

I'm sorry about that but i think it's the truth.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Sorry to say but if you worry about working conditions you shouldn't buy most electronic products since they are mostly manufactured in asia. No apple or ibm or Fusi or hp or whatever.

You shouldn't buy most clothes. Most of them are also manufactured in asia.

You shouldn't buy most toys as mayn of them are also manufactured in asia.

And there are many other things too. Every thought about how diamonds are scratched from earth in africa or some metals ? Really bad working conditions.

Base problem is that "The Market" requires low prices as customers are not willing to pay high prices when there are companies offering the same product for less. And when it comes to prices you can't beat the east.

I'm sorry about that but i think it's the truth.

So because one can't avoid buying products of exploitation entirely, one should not avoid it as much as possible? That's just an excuse for moral turpitude. The correct attitude should be to acquire those things that one needs in the least injurious manner possible and to leave off those things that one doesn't need if acquiring them involves economically supporting exploitation. As far as food and clothing are concerned: a. there are still plenty of items within these categories that are still made in the west and thus subject to decent labor laws and b. there are increasingly larger numbers of products available that are obtained via "fair trade" whereby independent producers get paid a decent rate for their wears. There are options available, even for eReaders. The PRS-900 (Sony Daily Edition) is made in Japan, for example. There are still plenty of electronics made in South Korea, as well.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
As far as food and clothing are concerned: a. there are still plenty of items within these categories that are still made in the west and thus subject to decent labor laws and b. there are increasingly larger numbers of products available that are obtained via "fair trade" whereby independent producers get paid a decent rate for their wears.
And that is of course assuming:

a) that the infrastructure used to produce those western-produced goods is produced in acceptable labor conditions too. What good is not buying clothes from a sweatshop if you buy goods from someone who buys clothes from a sweatshop? At the end your money goes to the sweatshop.
b) that a boycott against sweatshops will effectively raise wages and improve labor conditions of the affected workers. One could imagine that if the boycott's successful, production will diminish and workers will be laid off, letting them with a worse alternative than the one thye had chosen (work in the sweatshop).
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Boycott? What Boycott?

Boycott's not the point. The point is that Western industrial complex is collapsing. The wealth of a Nation is in its industries.

What do you buy if you don't have a job, if you don't have savings, if you don't have a house, if you don't have earnings?
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The world's been going to hell in a handbasket since the days of Pericles.
V-e-r-y s-l-o-w-ly.
Somehow we muddle through and, surprisingly, things still trend upwards.
Glass half-full, half-empty?

It is good to worry about the working conditions of those that make our toys but it is also worth keeping a sense of perspective about the alternative.
Prosperity and modern lifestyles shouldn't be just for those that already have it; countries that embark on willful cheap labor programs do it with the implied intent to ramp up living standards. Japan did and South Korea, among others did it too. Those people are sacrificing so their kids won't have to just as our parents did for us.
We need to be careful; beggar-thy-neighbor protectionism makes beggars of everybody in the long term.

Last edited by fjtorres; 08-27-2010 at 01:47 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The world's been going to hell in a handbasket since the days of Pericles.
V-e-r-y s-l-o-w-ly.
Somehow we muddle through and, surprisingly, things still trend upwards.
Glass half-full, half-empty?

It is good to worry about the working conditions of those that make our toys but it is also worth keeping a sense of perspective about the alternative.
Prosperity and modern lifestyles shouldn't be just for those that already have it; countries that embark on willful cheap labor programs do it with the implied intent to ramp up living standards. Japan did and South Korea, among others did it too. Those people are sacrificing so their kids won't have to just as our parents did for us.
We need to be careful; beggar-thy-neighbor protectionism makes beggars of everybody in the long term.
This depends on the country. It may well be true in china, but I think it is less true in the case of Latin America and Africa. There the low wages are just a more thorough form of exploitation, not a strategy to develop quickly and then raise living standards. I think what is being ignored is the extent to which living standards in the which are funded by the exploitation of others. It's not that the west has figured out some great secret for raising everyone's boat; our prosperity is inversely proportional to the impoverishment of others. This applies especially to nations that function primarily as commodity producers. Political pressures and economic and even military interventions are used to keep commodity prices lower so that the citizens of the hegemonic powers may enjoy a higher standard of living. The goal, of course, is a net transfer of wealth up the social ladder: from south and east towards the north and west on a global scale, but also up the social hierarchy in the West as well. Higher living standards make an effective bribe to make the populace ignore or become implicit in the exploitation of those outside the boundaries of the nation (and thus, perhaps, outside of the circle of concern of the average westerner) or those who belong to the subaltern classes (i.e. migrant labor, urban sweatshops). Consumers who are not at the very bottom do benefit economically, just not as much as those at the top. The benefit is significant enough to cause most people to become lost in the million petty desires and manufactured needs of consumer society.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:25 AM   #12
jmawhorter

Well put Luqman.

For me the issue, as a Christian, is that I need to treat other people the way I would want to be treated in their situation. It is true that if my neighbour was starving and no one would offer him a job that I could improve his situation by paying him $1 per day to lick my floor clean. I could also improve the financial situations of prostitutes by buying the ability to exploit their bodies. Just because there is some perceived benefit doesn't mean I am treating that person in a loving and appropriate way. People in China and other places work long hours for peanuts in part because they don't have a lot of options. If someone went over there and offered them $5 an hour, I'm sure they would be happy to take those jobs. But then you and I couldn't own so much stuff so it isn't likely to happen, since the people with the power to make the change have selfish motivation for the change not to happen.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:57 AM   #13
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
..., since the people with the power to make the change have selfish motivation for the change not to happen.
That's one of the big problems since ever

We (mankind) could do much much ...much better if we change the way we think. It shouldn't we "what's in for me" but "what's in for us all" or the like.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:19 AM   #14
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Were wealth static and never-growing, how has a certain degree of prosperity expanded from 1% of men in 1800 to circa 20% of a much larger absolute number in 2010?

Quote:
since the people with the power to make the change have selfish motivation for the change not to happen.
In fact, they have an entirely different motivation. They want cheaper goods. The people with the power to make the change are the consumers. There are others who obstruct change, namely the states and their tools, big corporations. As long as the ones who really have the power swallow the state's propaganda and consent in its aggressions, a change in favor of workers won't take place.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #15
emt
Nameless Being

Absolutely Right...

The consumer has the power to change things, but only collectively, not individually. You only have to look at the US Congress, which has an approval rating of only about 10% and is much reviled. However, as long as the collective will is to do nothing about it the status will remain quo.
The same goes for companies like FoxConn (which BTW makes products for Apple and IBM) - as long as people still patronize them their workers will continue to commit suicide.

Last edited by emt; 08-28-2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Spelling