Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Honor Harrington read order?

I just finished book three of the Honorverse, "The Short, Victorious War." I am really getting into this universe. Is there a recommended read order for this? I see that there are three or four intertwined series and would like to have a fairly coherent read. Thanks!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Try here
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Here.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Yes there too
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There's the main line, following Honor. There are some Anthologies, and there are two sub-lines.

But you've a while to go until you hit these. There's a straight order of

On Basilisk Station (1993) ISBN 0-671-57793-X
The Honor of the Queen (1993) ISBN 0-671-57864-2
The Short Victorious War (1994) ISBN 0-671-87596-5
Field of Dishonor (1994) ISBN 0-671-57820-0
Flag in Exile (1995) ISBN 0-671-31980-9
Honor Among Enemies (1996) ISBN 0-671-87723-2
In Enemy Hands (1997) ISBN 0-671-57770-0
Echoes of Honor (1998) ISBN 0-671-57833-2
Ashes of Victory (2000) ISBN 0-671-57854-5

Then I'd put in the four anthologies, that have back-story, but also some lead-in to the other books.
More Than Honor (1998) ISBN 0-671-87857-3
Worlds of Honor (1999) ISBN 0-671-57855-3
Changer of Worlds (2001) ISBN 0-671-31975-2
The Service of the Sword (2003) ISBN 0-7434-3599-0

And then
Crown of Slaves (2003) ISBN 0-7434-7148-2 with Eric Flint

After that, back to mainline Honor for
War of Honor (October 2002) ISBN 0-7434-3545-1
At All Costs (November 2005) ISBN 1-4165-0911-9

and finally
The Shadow of Saganami (2004) ISBN 0-7434-8852-0
Storm from the Shadows (2009) ISBN 978-1416591474

Hopefully, by the time you've got through that lot, we'll have Torch for Freedom and Mission of Honor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Is there a recommended read order for this? I see that there are three or four intertwined series and would like to have a fairly coherent read. Thanks!

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-21-2009 at 01:55 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah. Tried that and got the Weber page that Gibbo pointed to. But, re-applying my original question, is there a reading order list that people find to be satisfactory? Having a list of the books is not the same.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
You can find the publishing and chronological order. I would go for the publication order (which is almost what pdurrant also sugested).
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #8
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
I mostly agree with what pdurrant suggested, except that I would put the four anthologies last.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
I mostly agree with what pdurrant suggested, except that I would put the four anthologies last.
Only problem with that is there's some good back story/character intros in the anthologies that work better if you follow his recommendation.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can skip most of the stories in the anthologies without a problem, but I would recommend reading at the very least "From the Highlands" from the Changer of Worlds anthology and "Fanatic" from "The Service of the Sword" before reading Crown of Slaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
Old 04-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
tinyurl is failing miserably. This is one reasonw hy some of us don't like tinyurl. The other reason is that the URL is hidden and we could end up anyplace. Can we have the real URL instead?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

It's just a link to a rather amusing site "Let me Google that for you"

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Honor+Harrington+read+order%3F+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
tinyurl is failing miserably. This is one reasonw hy some of us don't like tinyurl. The other reason is that the URL is hidden and we could end up anyplace. Can we have the real URL instead?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:50 AM   #13
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
of course the top result is this thread, so linking to google isn't the best idea around

Mobile read is up there in googles page rank, so its always good to give coherent answers for questions here, because when someone else is looking for the answer, more than likely we are the first result
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #14
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I'm a bit late to the thread but I was rereading the series recently and here's how I sorted it for myself:

[obvious beginning skipped]
Honorverse 06: Honor Among Enemies
Honorverse 07: In Enemy Hands
Honorverse 07a: More Than Honor
Honorverse 08: Echoes of Honor
Honorverse 08a: Worlds of Honor
Honorverse 09: Ashes of Victory
Honorverse 09a: Changer of Worlds
Honorverse 10: War of Honor
Honorverse 10a: The Service of the Sword
Wages of Sin 01: Crown of Slaves
Saganami 01: Shadow of Saganami
Honorverse 11: At All Costs
Saganami 02: Storm from the Shadows
[upcoming]
Wages of Sin 02: Torch for Freedom
Honorverse 12: Mission of Honor

BTW, I do NOT recommend reading Storm from the Shadows right now if you don't wan't to risk losing your reader. I almost threw mine on the floor in disgust over the damn cliffhanger. The wait to the next book is not going to be easy...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #15
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I'm a bit late to the thread but I was rereading the series recently and here's how I sorted it for myself:

[obvious beginning skipped]
Honorverse 06: Honor Among Enemies
Honorverse 07: In Enemy Hands
Honorverse 07a: More Than Honor
Honorverse 08: Echoes of Honor
Honorverse 08a: Worlds of Honor
Honorverse 09: Ashes of Victory
Honorverse 09a: Changer of Worlds
Honorverse 10: War of Honor
Honorverse 10a: The Service of the Sword
Wages of Sin 01: Crown of Slaves
Saganami 01: Shadow of Saganami
Honorverse 11: At All Costs
Saganami 02: Storm from the Shadows
[upcoming]
Wages of Sin 02: Torch for Freedom
Honorverse 12: Mission of Honor

BTW, I do NOT recommend reading Storm from the Shadows right now if you don't wan't to risk losing your reader. I almost threw mine on the floor in disgust over the damn cliffhanger. The wait to the next book is not going to be easy...
Thanks! That was what I was looking for!

So, wait for the next one, check!