Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-10-2008, 12:56 AM   #1
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Is there any chance of sony supporting calibre?

Because it's like Itunes and the Ipod. It just works.
might not be everyone's cup of tea, but the intergration is solid, the interface is decent and it just plain works.

Ipod without Itunes is no fun, and Sony reader without caliber is largely a pain in the behind.
I was originally thinking of buying a cybook, but without caliber, I'm not sure if I could deal with trying to sort books and load a reader.
Is there any way caliber could get a link from sony, because I can only see it helping their sales for people who want a cross platform reader with a friendly software interface.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:34 AM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGB View Post
Is there any way caliber could get a link from sony, because I can only see it helping their sales for people who want a cross platform reader with a friendly software interface.
I highly dobut that at all. Library functions are on the lowest possible part of what people but an ebook reader for.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2008, 03:58 AM   #3
moggie
Enthusiast
moggie is on a distinguished road

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGB View Post
Because it's like Itunes and the Ipod. It just works.
might not be everyone's cup of tea, but the intergration is solid, the interface is decent and it just plain works.

Ipod without Itunes is no fun, and Sony reader without caliber is largely a pain in the behind.
I was originally thinking of buying a cybook, but without caliber, I'm not sure if I could deal with trying to sort books and load a reader.
Well I am a mac or linux user and I wouldn't have bought it if calibre wasn't out there. So Sony should provide some support . I told the people at the sony shop that I was a mac user and that calibre was what I would be using
moggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:11 AM   #4
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
LOL, Sony should chuck their library software and fund calibre's development instead.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:29 AM   #5
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Sony will not fund calibre. You'll have to live with that, sorry.
However, Sony might think about taking some calibre features and apply them to their own software one day..
Oh who am I kidding. That would be a smart thing to do! As such, naturally it won't happen
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
I was thinking more along the lines of support as in a link from sony somewhere.
My buying decision would have been much quicker if I'd see Caliber right at the start.(I dual boot xp and ubuntu and have a mac laptop)
I could see the link helping sony sell more books since people know there is a decent and long term supported software setup for it instead of worrying that support will simply stop and they'll be stuck.
Also the mac and linux communities are small, but even at 10% of a market, if there's less competition in that segment, why not let those people use your product? even if having that link only helps change 10 peoples minds sony has got a good deal.
since a link costs them virtually nothing.

and IMO if you are buying a book, and the software makes it suck to load, it doesn't matter as much if the hardware is a little better.(microsoft zune, creative zen come to mind)

I loved their vertical scroll system, but the software for the computer
I gave up, got an ipod and itunes
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Charitably: They're probably concerned that adding a link will mean an official endorsement in which case people might bug them about bugs in calibre. Any software they endorse would probably have to go through a log and involved auditing procedure, and calibre's development model is way too flexible for that.

Not so charitably: They're a bureaucratic monstrosity that shudders every time it thinks about dealing with non corporate entities.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #8
carpii
Enthusiast
carpii began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad or Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggie View Post
Well I am a mac or linux user and I wouldn't have bought it if calibre wasn't out there. So Sony should provide some support . I told the people at the sony shop that I was a mac user and that calibre was what I would be using
But youve just demonstrated that lack of Linux support in Sony's software is unlikely to affect their sales too much.

They can quite happily sell Readers, safe in the knowledge that people on non-Windows can use Calibre, without Sony having to provide any support for it.
carpii is offline   Reply With Quote