Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #61
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Just updated my voyage from 5.75 to the new firmware. This is the first update I've been excited enough about to go through the process.
Gotta say the new bold/font size settings are wonderful--something the Kindles have needed for quite a while.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Ah, thanks. Makes sense... I only have mobi files on this device.
Yet another reason not to use Mobi. Mobi is getting worse and worse.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #63
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yet another reason not to use Mobi. Mobi is getting worse and worse.
Yeah, bunch of old books on this device. I'll get them reconverted someday.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Neogenesis, an e-ARC I got from Baen a week or so ago and sideloaded into Calibre, has the boldness slider.

For what it's worth, the book I have been reading, an old book that was in Mobi format, I converted to AZ3 in Calibre and still didn't get the boldness slider. So I deleted it from Calibre, loaded it again from Kindle for Mac and converted that to AZ3 and the boldness slider is there. No idea why the difference; probably others will know.

JIm
So what format is AZ3?
Old 10-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #65
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
That would be a pretty serious bummer.
The boldness slider DOES work for sideloaded books. Am using one now.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #66
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
My personal document books are converted to mobi in Calibre then sent to the Amazon Cloud via Send to kindle. I've only checked the one book (the one I'm reading) so far and that didn't have the boldness slider.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #67
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon_ramaswamy View Post
Has anybody been able to get the black invert? I can't find it on my PW3 and it's what I was waiting for such a long time!
I think the setting is in Accessibility settings (it is billed as an accessibility feature in the press release etc.). I think one of the video reviews showed this briefly.

[update: yes, if you look at the Oasis 2 User’s Guide, ‘Invert Black & White’ and ‘Display Size’ are in Accessibility section of Settings]

However, on Paperwhite/Voyage/Oasis1 this settings category does not appear unless you have the audio dongle plugged in. On the Kindle 8gen (with Bluetooth) it does appear.

That said, I’ve checked my Kindle 8gen and Voyage (with dongle plugged in) following the update, and neither has a setting to invert BW in the Accessibility settings.

Also I thought that Kindle 8gen was going to get Audible player, but that is not there, either.

Hopefully these features will show up in a future update. Perhaps Display Size (lets you change the layout and text size in some of the user interface) is only available for 7” devices, but no reason Invert Black & White would not be, even when not in VoiceView mode.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-12-2017 at 02:48 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:50 PM   #68
jlinear
Connoisseur
jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Aura One, Libra 2, Paperwhite
I just loaded the new software on my Voyager. Looks like FONT_RAMP no longer works. I find that both the bold and font settings are much too aggressive. Bold gets ridiculously bold very quickly and font size gets ridiculously large/small very quickly. I liked FONT_RAMP because I could set a smaller differentiation between font sizes. Disappointed in this new software.
jlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlinear View Post
I just loaded the new software on my Voyager. Looks like FONT_RAMP no longer works. I find that both the bold and font settings are much too aggressive. Bold gets ridiculously bold very quickly and font size gets ridiculously large/small very quickly. I liked FONT_RAMP because I could set a smaller differentiation between font sizes. Disappointed in this new software.
You seem to be the only one who doesn't like 5.8.11. The one thing Amazon should have done is more or better fonts.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:58 PM   #70
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
have you edited it to 14 values?
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:09 PM   #71
jlinear
Connoisseur
jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
have you edited it to 14 values?
My FONT_RAMP has 8 values and worked until this update. Does 14 work on the new software?
Old 10-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #72
tono1020
Connoisseur
tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook (Gen3, Opus), K3, K4NT, PW, PW2, KV
Quote:
FONT_RAMP hack still works, but instead of 8 numbers, you should write 14 numbers in it.
I tried and it works fine. You can see my FONT_RAMP file in attachement.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FONT_RAMP.zip (162 Bytes, 292 views)

Last edited by tono1020; 10-12-2017 at 03:17 PM.
tono1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:16 PM   #73
jlinear
Connoisseur

Thanks much. I'll give it a try.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:24 PM   #74
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Will the boldness setting work on "new" mobis?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #75
Eliy
Eliy began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Will the boldness setting work on "new" mobis?
Work only with embedded fonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tono1020 View Post
FONT_RAMP hack still works, but instead of 8 numbers, you should write 14 numbers in it.
I confirm. My FONT_RAMP after editing works too

Last edited by Eliy; 10-12-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Eliy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font_ramp