Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-24-2017, 11:13 PM   #46
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
My personal view on books sharing: I have a Kobo. My better half has a Nook. I buy all our ebooks from Amazon and sideload. I would have no issue sideloading the same books on to the Nook if our reading tastes were similar.

I could justify it by mentioning that our Amazon accounts are linked and I believe the books would show up in both anyway. But realistically I would feel the same regardless.

I wouldn't share my ebooks with my uncle, even though our reading tastes are more similar.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:08 AM   #47
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
EPUBs are so simple that it's impossible to "watermark" them in a way that can't be removed trivially. I'm sure the threat does keep honest people honest, but it does nothing to keep dishonest people from sharing the book after removing the watermark. In that way, it's just like DRM.
In the final effect, yes, watermarking is just like DRM. But it saves honest users the trouble.

Let's rephrase this: watermarking saves the honest users the trouble, and is just as efficient at protecting the copyright holders' interests.

Plus, it would save DiapDealer the trouble of writing honest folk between quotation marks, so subtly insinuating that they're nothing of the sort. Edit: as shown in the discussion below, the "insinuation" was only in my mind. Sorry about that.

Quote:
These days it's full of commercial ebooks liberated with the exact same tools that "honest folk" use to back up their purchases.

Last edited by Philippe D.; 09-25-2017 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Correcting misunderstanding on my part.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2017, 05:57 AM   #48
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
In the final effect, yes, watermarking is just like DRM. But it saves honest users the trouble.

Let's rephrase this: watermarking saves the honest users the trouble, and is just as efficient at protecting the copyright holders' interests.

Plus, it would save DiapDealer the trouble of writing honest folk between quotation marks, so subtly insinuating that they're nothing of the sort.
I think the quote marks were there because it was a, err, quote upthread, rather than an insinuation.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:00 AM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The quotes were to accentuate the commonly-held misconception around here that DRM-removal of purchases is somehow more inherently "honest" than removing DRM from library books. That the former causes no harm while the latter can cause nothing BUT harm.There are, of course, honest and dishonest people on both sides of the equation. It just personally bugs me that people are willing to see only the good in people who remove DRM from their purchases, but can only see the bad in those who remove DRM from library books. As mentioned previously; pirate sites are full of books liberated the seemingly-inherent "honest" way.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:41 AM   #50
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Okay, sorry for the misunderstanding then. (I won't edit it out of my message because it would only cause more confusion)
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2017, 07:58 AM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
No problem. I probably should have said "liberated the 'honest way'" as opposed to "by honest folk" to begin with.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:32 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
Watermarking is not merely "just like DRM"; watermarking is DRM. The term "DRM" refers to any method of protecting digital rights, not only to encryption.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:14 PM   #53
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The frustrating aspect of time limits on OverDrive books is in comparison to those on paperbooks from the real (as opposed to virtual, calm down, folks) library. With paperbooks, libraries have policies and sanctions in place for overdue books which generally consist of a fine, letting the borrower put a price on his willingness to over the time limit. The repo man isn't going to show up at the door. But with OverDrive books, of course, the book just disappears - or rather, can no longer be accessed.

The slipperiest slope of all is when we try to force comparisons between pbooks and ebooks, as with this conversation!
I actually find the OverDrive way a feature, not a bug. I almost always finish a library book within three weeks, but I'm horrible for forgetting to actually get in the car and take the book back to the library. With OverDrive I don't have to.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:20 PM   #54
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Watermarking is not merely "just like DRM"; watermarking is DRM. The term "DRM" refers to any method of protecting digital rights, not only to encryption.
Watermarking is not DRM, but rather a tool used as part of a DRM scheme, much like encryption isn't DRM, but is a tool. In particular, neither have the "M" part of DRM (management), but instead that has to be controlled by another part of the toolset.

Here's another take on watermarks.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:51 PM   #55
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
Watermarking is not DRM, but rather a tool used as part of a DRM scheme...
Pointing out that watermarking and other forms of 'social DRM' is not DRM feels tiresome and nitpicky.

Of course you are correct, technically. But everyone understands what is meant. What does stopping the conversation to point out a technical detail add to the discussion?

I used to grouse about people saying 'ATM machine' or 'PIN number', but don't any longer.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:02 PM   #56
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Pointing out that watermarking and other forms of 'social DRM' is not DRM feels tiresome and nitpicky.

Of course you are correct, technically. But everyone understands what is meant. What does stopping the conversation to point out a technical detail add to the discussion?

I used to grouse about people saying 'ATM machine' or 'PIN number', but don't any longer.
Technically, it is DRM. It fits all three. It is digital, it is for the rights of the author and it is for managing those rights.

So yes a watermark is DRM in its simplest form.

Sorry but HarryT is 100% correct.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:26 PM   #57
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Technically, it is DRM...
See? This is what I was hoping to avoid.

(Don't mean to attack Cin. Just hoping to avoid an additional 2 pages of 'yes it is!' 'no it isn't!')
Old 09-25-2017, 07:33 PM   #58
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I do, and expect I always will.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:28 PM   #59
Panchax
Connoisseur
Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glowlight
I see noone on here is a believer in the holy public domain.
My first foray into ebooks was from borrowing a spare ereader from a roommate who was a pirate. He gave me a chunk of his collection, and I think I still have it somewhere.
I no longer read pirated books, for reasons already discussed on this thread. However, if I bought a book from Amazon, there is no way I would leave the DRM on it. Besides the fact that I use a nook, Amazon has a history of reclaiming books they have already sold. Yes, it happens rarely, but I have read their TOS, and even if that was a few years ago, it makes me feel like they are evil.
I will remove the DRM from a free book if I want to give it to someone, I can't understand why they DRM them anyway.
I have never lent an ebook to anyone, although I have traded ereaders for a week, or even an ereader for a book for a while. I do not see anything wrong with that.
I personally dislike the fact that I cannot lend ebooks easily like pbooks morally. I actually read this thread hoping someone would have a solution to that, but noone did.
Panchax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:38 PM   #60
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchax View Post
I see noone on here is a believer in the holy public domain.
My first foray into ebooks was from borrowing a spare ereader from a roommate who was a pirate. He gave me a chunk of his collection, and I think I still have it somewhere.
I no longer read pirated books, for reasons already discussed on this thread. However, if I bought a book from Amazon, there is no way I would leave the DRM on it. Besides the fact that I use a nook, Amazon has a history of reclaiming books they have already sold. Yes, it happens rarely, but I have read their TOS, and even if that was a few years ago, it makes me feel like they are evil.
I will remove the DRM from a free book if I want to give it to someone, I can't understand why they DRM them anyway.
I have never lent an ebook to anyone, although I have traded ereaders for a week, or even an ereader for a book for a while. I do not see anything wrong with that.
I personally dislike the fact that I cannot lend ebooks easily like pbooks morally. I actually read this thread hoping someone would have a solution to that, but noone did.
Was it an actual free book or on sale for free?
Just because you got it free from Amazon does not make it a free book.
What you paid doesn't matter.
I have a free copy of the Da Vinci Code that I got on Amazon. It even has an excerpt from Inferno. Turns out it was "on sale" to promote the new book.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote