Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-02-2017, 04:03 PM   #16
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.
eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kobo Touch, Aldiko for Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Preview handles that visual confirmation quite well.
OMG, I've been using Sigil for years and I never noticed the F10 preview before (similar to Dreamweaver's Split View). Ha, ha -- I'm such a dork! I've been so used to switching back and forth between Book View and Code View that I never looked for anything else. Ya learn something new every day.

BTW, I tried it out. But now I have a new question:
In the lower right-hand corner an error displays. (See SS.) It appears to be somehow related to my browser? The file is otherwise fine (ie., passes validation). What might it be? I haven't figured out how to get Sigil to tell me where the error is. And the error disappears when I hide/unhide the console. It then reappears if I close down Preview and reopen it. Another mystery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil TypeError.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	637.8 KB
ID:	155399  
eggheadbooks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
That's just the html Inspector widget. Some people have a use for it, but I don't. If you don't need to inspect the various html element in that way, just grab the divide between the Preview Window and the Inspector widget and squeeze the Inspector down to nothing.

I have no idea what that particular error is, but it has nothing to do with epub, IMO.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2017, 05:27 PM   #18
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
That indicates that some javascript is trying to access $.browser.msie but that has been removed from jQuery. I will try to track down if that is something in the Sigil code or something in QtWebkit.

It can be safely ignored unless you are using your own javascript in a epub3 ebook.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:09 PM   #19
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.
eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Thanks. That's a relief.

BTW, with regard to my initial post, is there a way to specify the bullet type in CSS? I got
Code:
.circle
{list-style-type:circle;}
.disc
{list-style-type:disc;}
to work but I cannot find a way to get lowercase or uppercase letters. In older (X)HTML it would have been type="A" or type="a" but list-style-type:A (or a) is not working.

I found another HTML site that recommends list-style-type:upper-latin and list-style-type:lower-latin, but those don't work either. When I google "XHTML list types", I don't get anything beyond the basics.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:12 PM   #20
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
list-style-type:upper-latin or list-style-type:upper-alpha

found at W3schools: https://www.w3schools.com/csSref/pr_list-style-type.asp

edit:
Works great...make sure it's all lower case. Of course, you can put this in a class instead of an in-line style.

As in:
Code:
<ol style="list-style-type:upper-latin">
<li>asdsad</li>
<li>asdsad</li>
<li>asdsad</li>
<li>asdsad</li>
<li>asdsad</li>
</ol>

or

.upperlatin {list-style-type:upper-latin}

<ol class="upperlatin">
<li>asdsad</li>
<li>asdsad</li>
<li>asdsad</li>
<li>asdsad</li>
<li>asdsad</li>
</ol>

Last edited by Turtle91; 03-02-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #21
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Our copy of the jquery plugin wrapSelection.js uses the now deprecated $.browser.msie interface which in our case (webkit) is always false anyway.

I will edit that javascript to remove the unneeded code for old ie explorer. That should make your error go away.

KevinH

Quote:
That indicates that some javascript is trying to access $.browser.msie but that has been removed from jQuery. I will try to track down if that is something in the Sigil code or something in QtWebkit.

It can be safely ignored unless you are using your own javascript in a epub3 ebook.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:40 PM   #22
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.

Hi Turtle--

I tried the second one, but Sigil, ADE, Kindle -- none of them recognize
Code:
{list-style-type:lower-latin}
Also does not recognize upper-latin. I'm stymied. Maybe they all think upper-latin is like Old English.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:00 AM   #23
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggheadbooks1 View Post
I tried the second one, but Sigil, ADE, Kindle -- none of them recognize
The following code works at least in ADE 1.7-4.5 and Sigil. Maybe there's a typo in your code.

Code:
<ol style="list-style-type: lower-alpha;">
  <li>Veni</li>
  <li>Vidi</li>
  <li>Vici</li>
</ol>

<ol style="list-style-type: lower-latin;">
  <li>Cogito</li>
  <li>Ergo</li>
  <li>Sum</li>
</ol>
(The inline styles are only for testing purposes.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adobe Digital Editions_1.7.png
Views:	145
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	155405  
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:26 PM   #24
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
The following code works at least in ADE 1.7-4.5 and Sigil. Maybe there's a typo in your code.
The code was fine. Turns out it was due to synaptic malfunction: when the inline type was rejected I converted to using CSS but forgot to link that particular XHTML file to the stylesheet.

I have my days...
Old 03-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggheadbooks1 View Post
I converted to using CSS but forgot to link that particular XHTML file to the stylesheet.

I have my days...
Trust me; we've all fought that particular bug from time to time.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:23 PM   #26
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Okay, removed the now obsolete use of $.browser.msie in Sigil's version of jquery.wrapSelection.js so it should remove any javascript errors from the Inspector Console window. It does under my tests.

That just leaves how to handle underline and strike. I can easily now force BookView to add spans with in-line styles to prevent Sigil from introducing "strike" when in BookView and using "u".

If we go ahead with those changes, Sigil, even in BookView will at least generate 100% correct code although ugly and ungainly. BookView will then handle thigns differently than CodeView but I am okay with that given that the code BookView generates at times is truly awful.

I would like to get a fix in the tree for use of strike at least (deprecating u and then undeprecating it is just stupid, so I don't really care about use of "u" or not).

DiapDealer, what do you think?
Old 03-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I would like to get a fix in the tree for use of strike at least (deprecating u and then undeprecating it is just stupid, so I don't really care about use of "u" or not).

DiapDealer, what do you think?
Let me take a peek at how difficult it would be to leave it up to a user preference (enabling document.execCommand("styleWithCSS", "true")). What area of the source am I looking at? BookViewEditor.cpp?

It would seem to be the best of both worlds if a user could ultimately decide for themselves between ugly-but-compliant and clean-(and functional)-but-technically-in-violation-of-specs, no?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-03-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:45 PM   #28
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes just before emiting the page open signal in the following method:

BookViewEditor::CustomSetDocument(const QString &path, const QString &html)

You can add a line:

ExecCommand("styleWithCSS", "true");
Old 03-03-2017, 02:53 PM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Sounds pretty simple (and I see the effect when compiled). Do you think it makes good sense? If so, we just need to decide where to add the setting in the prefs (unless an environment variable makes more sense?).

EDIT: looks like that would affect all the GUI formatting buttons ... making them all styled spans (including italics and bold). I don't use the buttons myself (in Code View or Book View), so it doesn't matter to me.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-03-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:02 PM   #30
KevinH
Sigil Developer

If we add a setting, should we then also try and honour it in CodeView as well?

Most of CV formatting code is done manually, so we should be able to make it use the span and inline style approach as well for underline, strike, subscript, superscript, etc, etc after checking the setting. A bit more work but it would at least allow the user to control things in both BookView and CodeView.

What do you think, worth the trouble or just hard code the horrible spans for BookView only?

Tags
epub2, epub3, epubcheck, fail validation