Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-19-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
Evadman
Evadman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
New Guy - Evadman

What's up. Just introducing myself since this forum has intro's turned on.

I have been an ebook reader since lit was introduced, but never really liked reading books on an electonic screen (CRT, LCD, etc). I would print thousands of pages of text instead of reading on a CRT :P Still have 'em too in some 3 ring binders.

since I am a geek at heart I was asked what I thought of the sony ereader. Well at that time I thought they were about $500 so I never bothered to pick one up, I was waiting for them to come down in price. While I was researching I found they were around $300 and falling fast. I picked 2 up about 3 months ago for $50 though a sony promotion and never looked back.

I joined the forum because I was looking for a cataloger and discovered that one doesn't really exist for us ebook peeps. Like I mentioned, I am a geek, specifically the programming kind. So I decided about 20 minutes ago that I am going to write one. (I am fickle like that :P) if you have any suggestions or feature requests, lemme know via email or a post or something. I promise it will be free
Evadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you call it eReader, people are going to think of the program for palms, PDA, etc called eReader that read eReader format ebooks. You would be best changing your profile to specify which model Sony you have. All that said, welcome to MobileRead. Glad you found us. You'll really enjoy reading with your 500. I used to have a 500 and my wife still does. You will find a lot of good info on moving content over to your Sony.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2007, 06:52 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evadman View Post
I joined the forum because I was looking for a cataloger and discovered that one doesn't really exist for us ebook peeps. Like I mentioned, I am a geek, specifically the programming kind. So I decided about 20 minutes ago that I am going to write one. (I am fickle like that :P) if you have any suggestions or feature requests, lemme know via email or a post or something. I promise it will be free
Welcome on board What exactly were you having in mind regarding a cataloger software?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Evadman, I would also love to have a comments field where I can put in a description of the book with so many books in the E-Book library, it would be really hard to remember what's what overall.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:20 PM   #5
Evadman

Thanks JSWolf I updated my profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
What exactly were you having in mind regarding a cataloger software?
I need a cataloger for my ebooks, and there doesn't seem to be a good one out there, if one at all. My base thought is something in Visual Basic that will run on any windows machine with a MS SQL backend that will allow up to a 4 GB database size. That should be enough for just about everyone. Fields, pages and such are yet to be determined, but I would expect the program will start out rather simplistic but will grow from there based on user input.
Advert
Old 10-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks JSWolf I updated my profile.
Now to update your profile one more time. The Sony Readers are not eReaders. eReader is a program created to be used on cell/PDAs mostly. "Sony Reader PRS-500" would be fine (without the quotes).
Old 10-22-2007, 10:57 PM   #7
Evadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Sony Readers are not eReaders.
O_o
/me looks at the 'eReader' text embossed in the steel of the case
/me takes path of least resistance
Old 10-22-2007, 11:18 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
O_o
/me looks at the 'eReader' text embossed in the steel of the case
Do you mean that silly symbol Sony has done away with? The one that's been debated here what it means and not getting anywhere.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:46 AM   #9
Evadman

If you mean the rotated lowercase 'e' in front of 'Reader', embossed on the bottom of the device? yes.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:16 AM   #10
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Now to update your profile one more time. The Sony Readers are not eReaders. eReader is a program created to be used on cell/PDAs mostly. "Sony Reader PRS-500" would be fine (without the quotes).
I think that all new profiles should have to be approved by JSWolf before being posted to this site.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:23 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
If you mean the rotated lowercase 'e' in front of 'Reader', embossed on the bottom of the device? yes.
There's an explanation of what it means somewhere - I forget where. It's not an "e" although it could be interpreted as looking like one.

There actually is, as Jon says, a very good practical reason for not calling it the "eReader", which is that "eReader" is the name of a book format which the Sony does not support. The last thing we want to happen is for people to go to an eBook store, see "eReader" books and buy them, only to find that they can't be read on the Reader. That's why we're "hot" on not calling it the "eReader" - we're not doing it just to be picky.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:48 AM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The symbol is not "e", it's "ae". You can see the mention of "ae symbol" in the copyright notice on the Reader:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=19
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:34 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

That "ae" symbol has since vanished from the 505.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #14
gmanacsa
Enthusiast
gmanacsa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, X61T Tablet, iPhone, OLPC XO-1
Yep is a pretty nice Mac-only ebook catalog program. Clean, easy-to-use interface and useful functionality...

http://www.yepthat.com/yep/index.html
gmanacsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:33 PM   #15
Evadman

Well, I'm the n00b here so for the next few hundred of my posts, I'll call it whatever you want :P