Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
G0AT
Addict
G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Defective Screen

I just want to let everyone know the issue I am having with my brand new gen1 Kobo e-reader.

Earlier today, I purchased an original Kobo E-reader from a Coles bookstore. I've since learned that it was the last original Kobo in the city. Interestingly, one location has more than 20 defective units for return.

Out of the box, the reader seemed fine. I immediately plugged it in to my netbook to charge, laying it flat on the table. At some point during the charging, a vertical line, one pixel in width, appeared on the screen from top to bottom. Usually, it is light in colour, but when the screen is blank, the line is black. At the same time, a problem appeared whereby any horizontal section of the screen that has no text or image on it is shaded slightly darker than the blank screen colour. Any section with text or an image appears as a light horizontal band. This is very distracting and seems to make reading uncomfortable, although I haven't had a chance to sit down and actually read anything.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it actually a defective screen as I fear?

I have contacted Kobo with regards to this as Chapters/Coles has told me that they can't help me as there are no more units.
G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0AT View Post
I just want to let everyone know the issue I am having with my brand new gen1 Kobo e-reader.

Earlier today, I purchased an original Kobo E-reader from a Coles bookstore. I've since learned that it was the last original Kobo in the city. Interestingly, one location has more than 20 defective units for return.

Out of the box, the reader seemed fine. I immediately plugged it in to my netbook to charge, laying it flat on the table. At some point during the charging, a vertical line, one pixel in width, appeared on the screen from top to bottom. Usually, it is light in colour, but when the screen is blank, the line is black. At the same time, a problem appeared whereby any horizontal section of the screen that has no text or image on it is shaded slightly darker than the blank screen colour. Any section with text or an image appears as a light horizontal band. This is very distracting and seems to make reading uncomfortable, although I haven't had a chance to sit down and actually read anything.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it actually a defective screen as I fear?

I have contacted Kobo with regards to this as Chapters/Coles has told me that they can't help me as there are no more units.
I would think that one day and a defective screen would allow you to get your money back.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
G0AT
Addict
G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had a chance to test drive the subject reader this morning and I can elaborate on the display issues. It seems that the vertical line is, in fact, always coloured as light as possible, and the black flashes that I saw were optical illusions at the time. As for the horizontal shading issue, the shading seems to actually be determined by where the text/images were on the PREVIOUS screens. For example, the lightest shaded lines are where the text was on the previous screen, shaded slightly darker are the lines that had text on the screen before that, etc. The result is that the current screen can have text partially backed by a light line and partially backed by a shaded line. Very distracting.

As for returning the unit, I was told that it was final sale because they are clearing out the stock, and that it could only be returned for exchange if defective. When I called them about the defect, they told me there were no more units available. I'm hoping Kobo can help me out, but if not, I will return the unit and demand my money back. I'll probably buy another company's reader with that money, although I love the Kobo's size, weight, and simplicity.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
I was told that it was final sale because they are clearing out the stock, and that it could only be returned for exchange if defective. When I called them about the defect, they told me there were no more units available.
Probably no argument that the unit is defective. Have them give you a Kobo WiFi version.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:30 AM   #5
MikeLC
Chapter/Indigo Employee
MikeLC began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo iPhone, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch Ereader
Sorry to hear that about the Kobo Original

If you've spoken with a Kobo Tech support you can bring your Original Kobo back to any Chapters/Indigo and they should beable to refund you the entire amount or offer you the option to upgrade to the new Wifi Kobo for the price difference.

Yes all Kobo Originals are currently sold out as they were priced for clearance at $99 and are Final Sale except for defective products, which this seems to be the case.

Simply bring the Kobo into an Indigo Store, Chapters, Coles and ask for a Manager to assist you.
MikeLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
G0AT
Addict

I figured as much, MikeLC. Right now I'm going through Kobo warranty to get the defective unit replaced. If they let me down, then I'll have to return it, which is too bad because I really like it and the price was great.