Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-17-2013, 03:04 AM   #16291
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
You might find this reader review of book 10 amusing. I think Robert Jordan gets more wordy as the series goes on. Is it as bad as in this parody?

I haven't read that far in the series and I don't expect to start my reread soon.
That is pretty hilarious and does hit the mark perfectly.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:00 AM   #16292
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Austenland by Shannon Hale. It was the Kindle Daily Deal in the UK today, and it sounded too fun to pass up for £0.99. Now I find out if I was right to buy it.
A quick, fun read. Well worth the £0.99, and a clever romance makes a good change from my usual range.

Next: Guardian of Night by Tony Daniel. One from the March Baen Bundle. It's started off well.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2013, 05:42 AM   #16293
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I've lost my virginity! I've just listened to my first audio book!
Rather than bagpipe music or Sousa marches, I decided to try something different on my long walk, and picked up Asimov's "Caves of Steel," a BBC radio drama. Two hours of fast and hard uphill and down, and by the time I was back in my neighborhood, I was just about at the end of the program and the only way I knew for sure that I'd been walking was that my clothes were soaking wet from the effort! What a delightful way to do Asimov!

Stitchawl
I heard that cherry pop from here!

I have always found audio books are a great way to take your mind off boring/repetitive/tiring tasks. The only time I can't listen to them is in bed, as I'm asleep within minutes...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #16294
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
A third book in the series has been announced, actually! Called MaddAdam, I believe.
It's called MaddAddam and it will be published in August/September this year. The whole trilogy is called MaddAddam
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17262203-maddaddam
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #16295
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Rather than bagpipe music or Sousa marches, I decided to try something different on my long walk, and picked up Asimov's "Caves of Steel," a BBC radio drama. Two hours of fast and hard uphill and down, and by the time I was back in my neighborhood, I was just about at the end of the program and the only way I knew for sure that I'd been walking was that my clothes were soaking wet from the effort! What a delightful way to do Asimov!

Stitchawl
Ah, excellent. I've been a confirmed eBook reader for all my exercise for years. I even have a waterproof case and earbuds for my iPod when I swim. A good book will definitely help get you over the hump of a boring swim/walk/run/bike. (Though for biking around here, I have to do without. Just too risky. But I do listen to a book when on my stationary bike. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #16296
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
So, I picked up and have started Everything Howls by Christoper Lopez when it was offered for free just recently.
Quote:
I am about 80% through and so far the gore isn't too bad although a few places had me decide to put off eating my snack for a while. I'll see what happens and what I think when I have finished it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Thanks. Sounds like fun.
Well, I guess, I would classify it as a "fun" read; as in pretty quick, mostly light read, but probably would not read it again. The gory parts were not over the top descriptive or over long, but I don't believe it would be a true horror book. It didn't give me nightmares or cause me to think more about it. I just didn't enjoy it as much as the other short story about the Wendigo that I had just read by Nicholas Antinozzi (Odd Whitefeather)
Quote:
I've lost my virginity! I've just listened to my first audio book! <snip>

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
<snip> I have always found audio books are a great way to take your mind off boring/repetitive/tiring tasks. The only time I can't listen to them is in bed, as I'm asleep within minutes...
Audio books are what get me through the boring house and yard work. I find that a good book has me so engrossed in the story that the time just flies by and I am done before I know it. Plus, it made the work more enjoyable.
I can't listen to them is in bed, as it puts me to sleep, too.

I've had a hard time trying to settle on something to read after Everything Howls; Nothing held my attention. I finally settled on The Sword and the Pen by Elysa Hendricks.
Spoiler:
Quote:
It was time. After penning ten popular sword-and-sorcery novels, Brandon Alexander Davis was ready to move on. Ready to stop hiding in his fictional world. Ready to start living a real life. There was just one problem: as he plotted the noble death of Serilda D'Lar, his fictional creation, complete with mile-long sword, skimpy leather outfit and badass attitude, appeared in his study.

Was she nothing more than a crazy fan, or had Brandon finally cracked?

This warrior woman whom he knew so well, so strong yet vulnerable, was both fantasy and reality. She was an invitation to rediscover all he once knew--that life is an incredible, magical journey and, for love, any man can be a hero.

The story is from the male writer's view and the first part is in present day. I liked that it was a "his" story and reading how he expressed his thoughts - although the author of this book is female. My only negative thought so far is the the requisite detailed sex scene is included and stopped the flow of the story for me. I had the feeling that it was one of those things that writers and publishers think all "modern" stories have to have in order to make it sell.
I've just started part two and he is now in her world; Castles, kingdoms, battles, etc.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #16297
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
It's called MaddAddam and it will be published in August/September this year. The whole trilogy is called MaddAddam
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17262203-maddaddam
Thanks for the info!

I'm reading 'Nowhere Man' by Aleksandar Hemon. I'm about halfway through, and though I have some gripes I am enjoying the book greatly.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #16298
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
I've had a hard time trying to settle on something to read after Everything Howls; Nothing held my attention. I finally settled on The Sword and the Pen by Elysa Hendricks. The story is from the male writer's view and the first part is in present day. I liked that it was a "his" story and reading how he expressed his thoughts - although the author of this book is female.
In my 30's I took a short story writing class. One of the exercises we were given was to write a story from the perspective of the opposite sex. It was an interesting experience and the class results were rather startling, seeing how some people think the opposite sex thinks and feels!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #16299
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Almost finished with "Plum Island," my first book by Nelson DeMille.

The wise-cracking gets to be a bit too much in such a long book, but the mystery is certainly enjoyable.

I'll read another book by him. Can someone suggest a good second title to read?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #16300
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

The wise-cracking gets to be a bit too much in such a long book, but the mystery is certainly enjoyable.

Don
He really did lay it on too thickly in that book. His subsequent books are toned down to reasonable levels. Try "Lion's Game," "Nightfall," and "Wildfire" for the same characters, and even better story lines . (Check for timeline sequence.) For his other books, "Charm School," "Up Country," and "The General's Daughter," (made into a good movie staring John Travolta,) are all excellent reads! I've got his newest "Panther" coming up in my TBR list.

Stitchawl
Old 04-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #16301
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Don
My favourite DeMille is "Cathedral". I also really liked "Word of Honor" (slightly different feel to it than many of his others). "Gold Coast" is good too.

The follow on from "Plum Island", "The Lion's Game" is also very good, but I didn't like the "Night Fall" or "Wild Fire" as much.

I have enjoyed most of his books, but wouldn't recommend "Spencerville" (well enough written, just a bit ugly for my tastes).

If you haven't read it, you might like to try "Mayday" - written by Thomas Block and Nelson DeMille. The early edition (published as by Thomas Block only) thanked Nelson DeMille for his editorial assistance. An updated edition came out in 1998 with both names on the cover. Either copy is a very good read.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:23 AM   #16302
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I don't think that word means what you think it means.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:17 AM   #16303
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't think that word means what you think it means.

BOb
"audio book" means a story that you 'to listen to,' right?

Stitchawl
Old 04-18-2013, 03:32 AM   #16304
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
I've had a hard time trying to settle on something to read after Everything Howls; Nothing held my attention. I finally settled on The Sword and the Pen by Elysa Hendricks.
Spoiler:
Quote:
It was time. After penning ten popular sword-and-sorcery novels, Brandon Alexander Davis was ready to move on. Ready to stop hiding in his fictional world. Ready to start living a real life. There was just one problem: as he plotted the noble death of Serilda D'Lar, his fictional creation, complete with mile-long sword, skimpy leather outfit and badass attitude, appeared in his study.

Was she nothing more than a crazy fan, or had Brandon finally cracked?

This warrior woman whom he knew so well, so strong yet vulnerable, was both fantasy and reality. She was an invitation to rediscover all he once knew--that life is an incredible, magical journey and, for love, any man can be a hero.

The story is from the male writer's view and the first part is in present day. I liked that it was a "his" story and reading how he expressed his thoughts - although the author of this book is female. My only negative thought so far is the the requisite detailed sex scene is included and stopped the flow of the story for me. I had the feeling that it was one of those things that writers and publishers think all "modern" stories have to have in order to make it sell.
I've just started part two and he is now in her world; Castles, kingdoms, battles, etc.
Although, time travel is something I've read before, this was a bit different in the three parts. Well, it did finally have the happy-ever-after implied ending, but the protagonist's way of getting there kept me guessing wrong on how he would get to that end. It was a very fun book to read and one I would read again.
Now on to try Archangels: Rise of the Jesuits by Janet M. Tavakoli; An Amazon freebie from March 2013.
Spoiler:
Quote:
WHEN CONTROL OF THE VATICAN IS AT STAKE—MONEY TALKS, AND NOBODY PLAYS FAIR.

Italian intelligence specialist Michael Visconte is shocked by the brutal murder of a Jesuit priest, who turns out to be a hedge fund manager for the Vatican. The victim, Father Matteo Pintozzi, achieved an unblemished record of extraordinary returns.

The next day, Michael is visited by two Jesuits who ask him to investigate the murder, and Michael soon finds himself in the middle of a struggle for power and control over the finances of the Vatican. Unfortunately, his lucky break—one that should provide critical evidence—blurs the line between good and evil and not only endangers the lives of Michael and the Jesuits, but also imperils the lives of his wife and children.

From the Back Cover

"A word of advice Mr. Visconte. This is Vatican business. It's dangerous to forget that."

Michael Visconte never forgot the Vatican Bank's $250 million payoff to the defrauded depositors of Banco Ambrosiano or the murder of Roberto Calvi. The fresh corpse at his feet told him it was far from over. He thought he already knew the consequences of double-crossing the Vatican.

But that was before he agreed to help the Jesuits blackmail the Pope...
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #16305
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
He really did lay it on too thickly in that book. His subsequent books are toned down to reasonable levels. Try "Lion's Game," "Nightfall," and "Wildfire" for the same characters, and even better story lines . (Check for timeline sequence.) For his other books, "Charm School," "Up Country," and "The General's Daughter," (made into a good movie staring John Travolta,) are all excellent reads! I've got his newest "Panther" coming up in my TBR list.

Stitchawl

Thanks, Stitchawl, for the recommendations.

Very much appreciated.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote