Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
RonaldJJames
RonaldJJames began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
Is there a standard format for library eBooks?

I'm looking for an Ebook Reader and one of my requirements is the ability to read eBooks from public libraries. I understand that the ePub format supports book expiration and would therefore be suitable for libraries to provide. Are there other formats that libraries may provide?

Thanks
RonaldJJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
ePub is the only format I've encountered so far but that doesn't mean that there aren't other formats in use elsewhere.
Croptop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
phansen1218
phansen1218 began at the beginning.

Device: none
The 2 library's I have access to both have epub books (they use overdrive). I am using a sony prs-600 and have had no trouble downloading books from both of them.
phansen1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I think most require that you obtain a library card with that library system/city, to use
their ebook loaning setup. Which means that you will have to conform to the formats
that the library system(s) you are a resident of, are using. For most of us, that limits
our choices, a lot.

The library Systems I have encountered are not shy about the services they offer,
you should find it all spelled out on their web site.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I have seen PDF and ePub... and the library used Overdrive.

I forgot... there are a couple books available as mobi but not many...

Last edited by rcuadro; 03-04-2010 at 11:20 AM.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
It depends. At my library ebooks are offered in ePub, PDF, or MOBI. Only newer ebooks may be offered in ePub and occasionally MOBI. Older ebooks are offered mostly in MOBI with a smattering of PDF.

Newer versus older refers to when the ebook was added to the collection. Assuming that you have the same Overdrive interface you will be able to list the books in order of when they were added.

My local library system usually has an ebook inventory of around 500 ebooks most of which are best sellers.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
My Public Library (Seattle using Overdrive.com) has all 3 and all 3 have DRM:
- PDF has the most
- ePub seems be getting more of the new titles
- Mobi

I still await the eReader that handles all 3 with no "games". A notebook or netbook computer with Adobe Digital Editions plus MobiPocket Reader at present appears to be the best single solution.

I hope some of the future hybrid devices will solve this. I expect the Entourage Edge will with additional software in the near future.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Cleveland has ePub, PDF, and mobi. The greatest number are in PDF, but the newer ones are in ePub so they are slowly converting.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjogren View Post
I hope some of the future hybrid devices will solve this.
Mobipocket (i.e. Amazon) refuse to allow that.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Amazon may not create the application, but all the pieces are available.

There are non-Amazon applications that can read, display, and convert to/from Mobi.

The encryption scheme is already known. Creating a "new" MobiPocket ID and registering it with your library is not a problem - I already registered my Kindle.

Unless MobiPocket PATENTED the process, it seems to me that processes that we can do with scripts and Calibre could be implemented in a new eReader program. And if done appropriately, would not expose an unencrypted eBook.

If any of these (future) eReaders is straight Linux and supports WINE and is/or emulates Intel, then a real MobiPocket Reader can be installed.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #11
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjogren View Post
The encryption scheme is already known. Creating a "new" MobiPocket ID and registering it with your library is not a problem - I already registered my Kindle.
A sane person may take this approach. Unfortunately, the authors and supporters of the DMCA to not take this position, and anyone making a 3rd party implementation would face legal problems. This is one of those things where there is not a great deal of case law to support or reject the implementation, but I strongly suspect that it would not go well. In any case, there will be a legal problem.

Quote:
If any of these (future) eReaders is straight Linux and supports WINE and is/or emulates Intel, then a real MobiPocket Reader can be installed.
This would be another good way to go, but software distribution would be a problem. The user would need to follow some type of procedure to get the software installed (the 3rd party could not redistribute the app without a license).

- Ed
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I've seen epub, pdf, and mobi.

My nook can handle the epub and pdf just fine, and the fact is they don't have anything in mobi that they don't have in pdf in the libraries I use.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Chicago Public Library has pdf, epub and mobi. Epub seems to be taking the lead. I read all 3 on my kindle, and don't worry about the fact that I use something to break DRM in order to get them in a format my kindle will read. I actually would enjoy being the defendant in a "Kindle user reads library books!" copyright suit.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #14
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
A little graphic illustration about why DRM doesn't work (one of many out there)....this one applies to libraries and Overdrive.

p.s., is there a way to have your attached images display inline in your text?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	why_drm_doesnt_work.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	467.2 KB
ID:	47354  
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #15
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
A little graphic illustration...
If you are going to repost the guy's work, the least you could do is to give him credit. This work came from Brad Colbow: http://www.bradcolbow.com/archive.php/?p=205
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote